OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

Neilson mentioned the possibility of Humphrys being recalled by Wigan. Feared that might happen.

He's probably started about 4 games in the league so far but I think that's a much bigger threat than Shankland or Rowles leaving.

15 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Neilson mentioned the possibility of Humphrys being recalled by Wigan. Feared that might happen.

He's probably started about 4 games in the league so far but I think that's a much bigger threat than Shankland or Rowles leaving.

He only mentioned it when asked about signing him permanently though, said we would see in the summer but that they have the option to recall now. 

I can't see it, Wigan are skint. What's the point in bringing back a player that doesn't want to be there and wasting a wage?

A few papers saying Southampton and a few Italian teams are after Cochrane. Can't imagine we'd sell cheap seeing as he has over 2 years left.

I'd be wanting a decent fee  with a sell on. Previous players in our league have stood out in Italy. He's 22, an England u20 International and had nearly 70 appearances in 18 months as well as European football. We don't need the cash either so need to sell unless really attractive. 

6 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

He only mentioned it when asked about signing him permanently though, said we would see in the summer but that they have the option to recall now. 

I can't see it, Wigan are skint. What's the point in bringing back a player that doesn't want to be there and wasting a wage?

Not saying it'll definitely happen, but there's no need to mention it at all unless it's a possibility.

Wigan are also bottom of the league and need all the help they can get. If Humphrys gets another couple this month there might be pressure from their fans to bring back an in-form striker who scored against Fiorentina.

Apparently they've been linked to Connor Wickham so hopefully that one happens.

1 minute ago, DC92 said:

Not saying it'll definitely happen, but there's no need to mention it at all unless it's a possibility.

I get that, but the full quote seemed to be him suggesting how hard it is to keep players when we don't have control over all deals. 

Hopefully he stays.

17 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

A few papers saying Southampton and a few Italian teams are after Cochrane. Can't imagine we'd sell cheap seeing as he has over 2 years left.

I'd be wanting a decent fee  with a sell on. Previous players in our league have stood out in Italy. He's 22, an England u20 International and had nearly 70 appearances in 18 months as well as European football. We don't need the cash either so need to sell unless really attractive. 

It's kind of gone under the radar how good he's been so far. He rarely seems to be mentioned as a possible departure despite having been consistently excellent this season, particularly for his age. Another great signing.

2 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

I was initially unsure of Cochrane, but I've been absolutely loving his work this season. He's really grown into the responsibility of being the rock in an ever-changing defensive line-up, and his attitude is absolutely spot on.

Like you say, if he goes, we'll get a good fee for him. And, as much as I really admire the work he's done this season, I don't think he's irreplaceable. I think he's just responded really well to our situation.

I hadn't really considered Cochrane going, but as others have said; his pedigree is excellent. And I feel like he's demonstrated more adaptability too, having played LCB a few times now. I think, unlike a few players, he's got a real physical presence which again helps down south.

Also, it's a somewhat damning indictment of our beloved neighbours that we got him on loan the same summer they announced a partnership with his then-parent club 😆

8 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I'm almost convinced you'll be after Fitzwater at us, 6 months left on his deal and looks like he's off in this window. Probably something like 100-200k and a 15% sell on and he goes I'd imagine. Decent enough CB, probably the best at our club but not quite at the level Halkett was at with us (which seems to be the gold standard in rating CBs at Livi)

I'm sure he'll fitz right in.

4 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Don't see him going at all, not anytime soon anyway. Just signed this season, on route to secure 3rd place with European football again. What would be the point for him to leave? Goes the same for Shanks and Rowles as well, maybe during the summer we can worry about folk leaving but no now.

3 hours ago, Navallion said:

Don't see him going at all, not anytime soon anyway. Just signed this season, on route to secure 3rd place with European football again. What would be the point for him to leave? Goes the same for Shanks and Rowles as well, maybe during the summer we can worry about folk leaving but no now.

I can see the case for Cochrane taking the move now more than the two you mention.

I really like him, and I'd be happy to keep him. But I don't think he's actually as good as the moves being touted, and he's got the chance to take a move like that at 22, as opposed to Shankland who is older and less appealing to buyers, and Rowles, who is likely to get a big move whenever he chooses.

Cochrane could move on and make a lot more money and advance his career at a great age. If he does, good luck to him. It could work out well for both parties. Overall, hope he stays though. But if the fee is right, we should sell. This may be the high-point to sell him at.

He'd be perfectly good to have in our squad for the next 4-5 years and make a good contribution, as he has this season. But he's not that good that we should knock back a good fee for him. We've not been good at getting fees in for players recently, and at the right price I'd rather sell him than see him go for free in a couple of years. I like him, but he's not amazing.

Edited by VincentGuerin

4 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Cochrane has always been good, but he's gone up a level in the last few months, imo - would be gutted to lose him. 

Agree Cochrane was a not bad player for us then this season he's been playing out his skin arguably one of our best players this season.

Defence is somewhere that we can't really afford to lose anyone, would much rather recruit in there to make stronger than sell anyone for profit.

If you like reading ludicrously long articles on new signings which detail everything they have ever done on a football pitch, here's one that does exactly that for Yutaro Oda.

https://www.leftbackfootball.com/home/2023/1/6/yutaro-odas-transition-from-mercurial-winger-to-efficient-forward

I enjoyed the shameless name-dropping of Iniesta in every paragraph.

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

If you like reading ludicrously long articles on new signings which detail everything they have ever done on a football pitch, here's one that does exactly that for Yutaro Oda.

https://www.leftbackfootball.com/home/2023/1/6/yutaro-odas-transition-from-mercurial-winger-to-efficient-forward

I enjoyed the shameless name-dropping of Iniesta in every paragraph.

Stopped reading at this abomination of a paragraph. Why use one word when you could use thousands?

Oda’s transformation has consisted of both a tactical development and also a physical development as his physique developed as he tailored his physique to receiving possession in tight central spaces, holding off markers while maintaining his close control and dribbling ability to slalom out of tight spaces.

31 minutes ago, Darren said:

Stopped reading at this abomination of a paragraph. Why use one word when you could use thousands?

Oda’s transformation has consisted of both a tactical development and also a physical development as his physique developed as he tailored his physique to receiving possession in tight central spaces, holding off markers while maintaining his close control and dribbling ability to slalom out of tight spaces.

Maybe it sounded snappier in Japanese?

So 2,500+ on a waiting list to go with the 15,500+ existing season ticket holders.

A reminder that there are some people out there who think Aberdeen are a bigger football club than Heart of Midlothian. 🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

On 05/01/2023 at 18:09, Tony Wonder said:

The only thing I would be concerned about is that these days I think most players sign a contract which has a clause around transfer fee triggers. We may have got Cochrane on a 3 year deal but with a release clause. Be surprised these days if any players do not have that in their contracts, so it might be out our hands. Hopefully not, we don’t need to sell anyone on the cheap.