OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

8 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If we're looking for 32 year old centre halves playing for lower mid table teams in the Scottish Premiership then Ryan McGowan would be a somewhat more attractive option. 

Hands off, please. Hes our best RCB and holding midfielder.

If you're after a short termer I could see you going for a Harlee Dean/Anthony O'Connor type on loan tbh, but I don't think there would much point wasting much money on either as you're virtually guaranteed 3rd even if you don't have a defence at this stage.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hands off, please. Hes our best RCB and holding midfielder.

If you're after a short termer I could see you going for a Harlee Dean/Anthony O'Connor type on loan tbh, but I don't think there would much point wasting much money on either as you're virtually guaranteed 3rd even if you don't have a defence at this stage.

If you set fire to the M90 he’d still charge down it to gorgie! 🔥 🏃‍♀️ 

Halkett was unavailable for two thirds of our matches in 2022 due to various injuries and that was before he fucked his knee. I'd reluctantly accept a 30+ year old 6 ft 2 jobber as a stopgap if we can't get anything else, but I'd rather we go for a more permanent solution.

Compared to this time last year we've lost Halkett, Souttar and Moore and we've only gained Rowles so the numbers justify another starting XI worthy option in there. Sibbick has improved massively recently but we still struggle big time with crosses and long balls and the clean sheet stats speak for themselves.

Agree with most of the above that we are definitely needing some strenghth in depth at the back in the form of a right footed centre half, we need someone specifically like Halkett who is great in the air and just wins headers and clears their lines, i.e does the basics well, I seen a few folk mentioned steven caulker, he might be a decent option on a short term deal, however I have a feeling we will be looking at the A league again as we seem to always get value for money there.

Hopefully Joe can pull another rabbit out the hat.

Yes, I'd forgotten about Rowles potentially going. Shankland, I'm not so sure. He has really impressed me, he's much more than just a poacher. I don't think he has the speed or the physicality to play down south, so I think the most likely thing would be another sojourn abroad. But he's tried that before.... 

The other prospect is *shudder* The Rangers start sniffing around....

Aye, Shankland is a funny one. He's been tremendous and it feels like the kind of situation where a club would come in for him.

But, as my Honourable Friend outlines above, he's probably not physical enough for the English leagues, and having just returned from being abroad maybe won't be mad keen to up-sticks again, especially as he's on to a right good thing at Hearts.

We're a platform for him to play in Europe, play for Scotland, maybe win something, and we'll be paying him a few quid.

So, I can see why teams would be looking at him, but I don't actually think we'll lose him. If we do, it'll be a right few quid anyway.

Rowles may well be subject to a few bids, and that would be more of a concern. Again, though, we'd be due a good fee.

17 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Yes, I'd forgotten about Rowles potentially going.

I don't get the sense that Rowles would be willing to go down south, say. Seems to have his head screwed on, and would know he'd better getting another full season in Scotland under his belt.

5 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I just reckon clubs will be looking to pick up players in the window - Rowles has just performed well in the world cup, and anyone who scores goals will attract attention.

I'd much rather keep both, but Rowles in particular will go at some point. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Rowles is away in the summer. And to be honest, if we've got European group-stage fitba again, plus money coming in from punting him, that would leave us in a good position and I'd be ok with it.

We're generally getting the recruitment right just now, so I think we'd do a good job of improving on the back of that, especially as we're in a decent position financially even as of today.

I can't see anyone offering nearly enough to let go of either Rowles or Shankland.

Both have plenty of time on their contracts and are far too important to let go. Finishing 3rd again could be worth millions.

ETA: I don't know if Rowles' value has peaked either. He'll be worth more if he performs for an extended period of time at club level. Group stage football wouldn't harm him either. Summer or next January is more likely imo.

Edited by DC92

I can see Shankland staying for many years to come tbh. There might be interest from the English Championship but I suspect he'll be underestimated because it's only Jock football, his Belgian move didn't work out and he's not a young player with sell on value anymore. If he keeps scoring he'll get into Scotland squads which will appeal to him.

1 hour ago, lennyzer0 said:

If reporting from outside of the Scottish football bubble is to be believed, landing Kuol might be a genuine coup, as opposed to the usual, no-other-bugger-wanted-them coups so beloved of our manager.

9a246e44-1d81-408d-a902-a03a0c40fe96.jpg

Glorious

On 03/01/2023 at 17:40, VincentGuerin said:

Things are shaping up nicely, but I can't say it's particularly surprising.

Considering the fixtures to come after the World Cup break, I expected us to go third by new year and to be ten points ahead of Hibs after the derby. Only surprise has been Hibs beating Livi.

Time to get the foot down now and hopefully shift focus to the cup.

I definitely want us to bring in a centre half to play on the right, but I think we'll be third even if we don't. With group stage fitba likely again next season, I'd rather keep that in mind and wait for the right player in the summer rather than jump on something now. A loan would do me fine.

I'm almost convinced you'll be after Fitzwater at us, 6 months left on his deal and looks like he's off in this window. Probably something like 100-200k and a 15% sell on and he goes I'd imagine. Decent enough CB, probably the best at our club but not quite at the level Halkett was at with us (which seems to be the gold standard in rating CBs at Livi)