OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

5 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Confirmed by Neilson. Great news. I was fearing a last minute recall given they seem to be desperately chucking money around.

Yeah, so was I. Questions need to be asked there though, surely? Reportedly £140m in debt, and late paying players. How can they be chucking any money anywhere.

Humphrys is involved in so many goal scoring opportunities for us. He made that poor shot right enough, but I will let him off with that. He is either slotting players in or being slotted in himself pretty much every time he plays. I would love to get him on a permanent deal and see how many goals and assists he gets as a first choice player.

3 hours ago, DC92 said:

I don't think Kio is disastrously bad, I just don't really get what he's supposed to be good at. To me he looks slow, he isn't strong in the tackle

Like Atkinson, he seems terrified to commit to any 50-50 tackle, and in this league that's a pretty basic requirement for a defensive midfielder.

Kio and Atkinson were fine on Sunday. They weren't inherently shite but they did the bare minimum against Livi in shite conditions, which I suppose sometimes with underperforming* players you have to become a maybe before you're a yes.

Solid transfer window. Could have been greedy for Paterson but we'll get him in the summer at less cost. It's been more about what we've kept, which is Humphreys and Rowles on a 5 year deal, as well as telling Blackpool to royally f**k off.

*Edit: Shite is a tad harsh, but underperforming is not.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

On 31/01/2023 at 13:11, Tony Wonder said:

Very good news. Given the option expired on January 14 you'd have thought Robbie could've said something though! Stop everyone panicking. 

It was interesting that Humphrys tweeted about staying immediately afterwards. Made me think that Wigan had maybe tried to recall him yesterday which is why it came up.

I see they recalled (or tried to recall) Jordan Jones from Killie at the last minute, so it'd hardly be surprising if they did the same to us. Good work by whoever stuck that clause in.

3 hours ago, DC92 said:

It was interesting that Humphrys tweeted about staying immediately afterwards. Made me think that Wigan had maybe tried to recall him yesterday which is why it came up.

I see they recalled (or tried to recall) Jordan Jones from Killie at the last minute, so it'd hardly be surprising if they did the same to us. Good work by whoever stuck that clause in.

Big Joe can do no wrong IMO.

What chance has football in this country got when Sky doesn't show matches like Hearts v Rangers, remembering that it has also patched two recent Edinburgh derbies as well. yXAbrOQ_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Fucking scumbags.

43 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Arron Darge, Aidan Denholm, Leo Watson, Cammy Logan and Scott McGill will all part ways with the club upon the expiration of their contracts at Tynecastle Park this summer.

Bit disappointing to hear this. I was hoping that our academy was improving. I get that it's hard to break into the 1st the when it's doing well, but surely we should be having more? I know that Joe Savage is looking to improve it, but to be honest it's getting a bit embarrassing now 

I think our best recent prospects have gone to sign pro down south or to Glasgow. It's tough, you want a kid who's Hearts through and through, or one like Hickey who is smart about achieving a pathway to better things, otherwise a late bloomer who EPL sides won't view as a good under 18 shirt filler to snap up. 

1 hour ago, Stylish Kid said:

Bit disappointing to hear this. I was hoping that our academy was improving. I get that it's hard to break into the 1st the when it's doing well, but surely we should be having more? I know that Joe Savage is looking to improve it, but to be honest it's getting a bit embarrassing now 

I thought McGill was decent - had a good loan spell at Airdrie last season, but hardly featured for Kelty - think Logan has been unlucky with an injury.

I think Darge was the boy who went steaming in to back up Cochrane in that recent friendly abroad, so it's a shame he's away. 

4 minutes ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

Apparently a six-figure sum was rejected by Sheffield Wednesday from Hearts on deadline day for Callum Paterson. Trying to tie him down on a new contract. He’s been vital the last couple of months and took his goal well on Saturday.

Aye, he seems to have been involved in every game since we were linked with him, so couldn't see him leaving - what's the story with the injury?

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

Aye, he seems to have been involved in every game since we were linked with him, so couldn't see him leaving - what's the story with the injury?

From what I seen when it happened he turned and just pulled up after starting to run but not seen replay of it.  He was out clubbing in Sheffield on Saturday night and was seen by a few fans so hopefully nothing major and just out for a couple of weeks 

3 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

No idea about the other three, but McGill and Logan are 21 and don't seem to have massively stood out in their loan spells. The sad fact is most academy players aren't going to make it at our level and that's probably the case for just about every club in the world.

Obviously the club has identified the academy as an issue given they punted Roger Arnott last year, but McAvoy has only been in place for 12 months and it'll probably be at least a couple of years before we can properly assess whether anything's changed for the better.

To be honest, it's not something I'm massively invested in. It feels like no-one in Scotland is bringing through anything other than one-off talents and even Celtic and Rangers are lucky to see them play a first team match before they get poached. The idea we'll ever be able to produce a "conveyor belt' of good young players feels like a bit of an unachievable myth at the moment.

Picking up players in their early 20s from EPL academies or from less fancied leagues seems like a more fruitful strategy for us at the moment.