OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

22 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

I take your point but we would have group stage Euro games till Christmas each year. Also I think Edinburgh as a bigger settlement has the potential for a club with bigger sustained crowds.

Anyway, despite the euro money we could always find a way to screw things up so I'm taking nothing for granted, we've not finished top 3 more than twice in a row for a long long time.

1950s was the last time.

2 hours ago, Darren said:

1950s was the last time.

Not just "more than twice in a row"
1955-603rd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd then  1st
That's going to take some beating

The only other time was interrupted by a difficult European away fixture at the Somme
1912-15 : 3rd, 3rd then 2nd

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

4 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

I think they might be talking about group stage European football. Historic is definitely pushing it if that is what they're on about.

Did Levein no do that in about 2005?  Remember being in some hearts club in Merchiston and cheering the Basle equalizer , safe to say not the wisest move. 

6 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

All the chat about consolidating 3rd place, getting closer to the old firm, and European football - it's probably more likely that Neilson will be sacked by November. 

Shaun Maloney is on a coaching course in Sunderland this week and last.  Perfect fit. 

All the chat about consolidating 3rd place, getting closer to the old firm, and European football - it's probably more likely that Neilson will be sacked by November. 
I've already got the banner ready and the plane chartered for October.

55 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Did Levein no do that in about 2005?  Remember being in some hearts club in Merchiston and cheering the Basle equalizer , safe to say not the wisest move. 

Aye he did. But bumming up everything is the way forward for every club.

3 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

2004/05 UEFA Cup although the 5 team groups saw teams play 2 home and 2 away so along with the braga games we only had 6 matches in total 

we’re guaranteed 8 European games this time which equals the club record 1988/89 (St Patrick’s, Austria Vienna, Velez Mostar and Bayern)

so from that perspective “historic” isn’t that big a stretch

ETA

THAT WAS 34 years ago, damn I feel old

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

33 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

2004/05 UEFA Cup although the 5 team groups saw teams play 2 home and 2 away so along with the braga games we only had 6 matches in total 

we’re guaranteed 8 European games this time which equals the club record 1988/89 (St Patrick’s, Austria Vienna, Velez Mostar and Bayern)

ETA

I was 5 and went ot the Velez and Vienna games, whisper that quietly though ;)

Fair play, all the worst on your historic journey to Moldova in the Conference (bitter?  not me). 

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

ETA

.... and of course we hit the post and Colquhoun missed when one on one with the keeper away at Bayern. Very much the classic Scottish/Hearts glorious failure.

Napoli and Diego Maradona were waiting in the semi final! What could have been.

12 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

I was 5 and went ot the Velez and Vienna games, whisper that quietly though ;)

Fair play, all the worst on your historic journey to Moldova in the Conference (bitter?  not me). 

There's two midweeks when both me and mate can travel. I'd absolutely love to go to some far-flung part of eastern Europe. Would also take a trip to a big Italian team or the likes, obviously.