OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

2 minutes ago, MariusZaliukas said:

I don’t even know what a lady shave is buddy but I hope you have a good Christmas. giphy.gif

Cheers. Hope you liked the present we gave you - the festive season got a wee bit better for us both  around 10 to 5 today      🥃

• 2 weeks later...

CHAMPIONS 5 (FIVE) - 3 AYR UNITED

Yet another ROUTINE VICTORY for the EDINBURGH EXCELSIOR, seeing off the latest iteration of the MEAN STREET POSSE at Tynecastle. Ayr were so LAMENTABLE that even bottling JACKANAPES Steven Kingsley and Craig Wighton could get on the scoresheet. I had BETTER THINGS TO DO than watch this game, but I assume that their goals were the sort of LIMP-ANKLED SIDE FOOTER finishes that one can get away with in this LEAGUE OF MISFIT TOYS.

Frank Boyle has produced the least topical football cartoon in history with his depiction of the first hearts vs hibs game on Christmas Day1875. Whether Robert Louis Stevenson was actually in attendance is questionable but we do know that Hearts won 1-0

rsz_edderbylo-res.jpg?auto=format%26fit=max%26h=1200%26w=1200&key=79687ccc7a4b720a7f26900cb07a7b47c2e6ce7dc572c5bf285877a0817a3c38

Is the goals without netting thing historically accurate? I’ve seen it in a few things but never quite believed the game of foot could be played without something to catch the ball should it go in.

17 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Is the goals without netting thing historically accurate? I’ve seen it in a few things but never quite believed the game of foot could be played without something to catch the ball should it go in.

1890 before nets were first used anywhere.

1887 FA Cup final with no nets.

image.thumb.png.b5e6af938d7c9a827eec5b3c1425cd1c.png 

Edited by Mr. X

On 27/12/2020 at 11:02, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Frank Boyle has produced the least topical football cartoon in history with his depiction of the first hearts vs hibs game on Christmas Day1875. Whether Robert Louis Stevenson was actually in attendance is questionable but we do know that Hearts won 1-0

Edinburgh derby 1875 print | Frank Boyle Art

Is one of the lads up the tree the one that Miriam Margolyes gave a helping hand to?

On 27/12/2020 at 19:19, DAFC. said:

As noted at first there were 2 posts with a tape, and then once the tape was replaced by a crossbar it was some time until nets were introduced.

Here is an image from Hearts v Hibs in the Scottish Cup Final of 1896 at Logie Green in Edinburgh (the only Final ever played outside Glasgow):

DtgA3MmXgAESAJ1.jpg

Note the penalty area is only 12 yards deep and extends the whole width of the pitch.

Note there is a 'retreat line' at 18 yards instead of the 'D'.

Note the 6 yard area is kidney shaped (being measured out from each post not as a simple rectangle).

On winning a penalty (by hailing ref - he couldn't give it if you didn't appeal) you could take it anywhere on 12 yard line. 'Keeper could move about 6 yard area. You could dribble or pass.

These were the arrangements from 1891 to 1902. (Although only from 1937 was the 'D' physically marked).

Edited by HibeeJibee

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

As noted at first there were 2 posts with a tape, and then once the tape was replaced by a crossbar it was some time until nets were introduced.

Here is an image from Hearts v Hibs in the Scottish Cup Final of 1896 at Logie Green in Edinburgh (the only Final ever played outside Glasgow):

DtgA3MmXgAESAJ1.jpg

Note the penalty area is only 12 yards deep and extends the whole width of the pitch.

Note there is a 'retreat line' at 18 yards instead of the 'D'.

Note the 6 yard area is kidney shaped (being measured out from each post not as a simple rectangle).

On winning a penalty (by hailing ref - he couldn't give it if you didn't appeal) you could take it anywhere on 12 yard line. 'Keeper could move about 6 yard area. You could dribble or pass.

These were the arrangements from 1891 to 1902. (Although only from 1937 was the 'D' physically marked).

Think that is Dobbie going to ground in the box.

At first the football field only had the 4 boundary lines, the centre-spot, and centre-circle.

6yd area (not rectangular), corner quadrants, and the halfway line arrived in 1887. Penalties began in 1891 with a 12yd line across the whole field.

fac04x1.gif&key=c0da5dd2fea7b563c2cbe415

Current arrangements adopted 1902 (except 'the D').

fac05x.gif&key=365e92f91e5c7c016d8e53934

CHAMPIONS 3 - 1 ARBROATH

Another TEDIOUSLY EASY win for the Champions against these NON-ENTITY teams, to go MANY points clear. I am on the verge of EXHAUSTING my reserves of WITHERING CONTEMPT for this PATHETIC league, to be replaced with a sense of ENNUI in contemplation of how much of my life will have EBBED AWAY by the time Hearts will bid farewell to the teams of POSTIES and PLUMBERS forever.

SO, it TOOK you almost FIVE WHOLE DAYS  to SOBER UP enough to COBBLE TOGETHER this TEDIOUS AND PREDICTABLE response while fans of the so-called DIDDY TEAMS  had COMMENTED, DEBATED and MOVED ON by THURSDAY.......

TRULY there is NO BEGINNING to your TALENTS.

CHEERIO.

😜