OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

I am feeling pretty good about the new season, just now. Although it will be a bit of a slog around Christmas and New Year, I think.

League season starts July (30th June really).

Europa games from August.

League cup from September.

Winter/World Cup break from mid November to mid December.

Hard to to say if the break will be a good thing for us or not. On the one hand the squad will be in need of a rest, and it will give one or two a chance to recover from injury no doubt. On the other hand, we always seem to struggle coming back after a break, for some reason. Is this about the time we are expecting Baningime back?

Then it’s trying to get momentum going over what is always a busy period over the festive season, and hopefully still being in a couple of tournaments besides just the league grind. Scottish Cup by this stage too.

You saw how knackered and threadbare we were last weekend in the final, and that was after just the league campaign and a sprinkling of Scottish cup games, for months before that point. We are going to need a decent and fairly big squad if we have any serious ambitions to get to the latter stages of the domestic cups, and qualify from the Europa groups.

We may even have a couple of players playing for Scotland in either the World Cup or (more likely) a series of friendlies to make ourselves still feel relevant.

Still, it is at the fun stage just now where anything and everything is still possible. Some good signings and a strong pre-season and we hopefully start with a flourish.

HHGH

Edited by Kyle Reese

7 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

You saw how knackered and threadbare we were last weekend in the final, and that was after just the league campaign and a sprinkling of Scottish cup

I've been wondering whether Robbie N might have regretted not holding on to the likes on Euan Henderson, Connor Smith, McGill, Pollock, and Walker for the latter part of the season.

My memory of Connor Smith is that he's a wee bit like Devlin, but maybe ten yards further up the park - a wee grafter who runs himself into the ground for the benefit of the team. 

Now that we've cleared the decks a wee bit, it will be good to get a few in to bolster the squad. 

14 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Some stuff in the press about Hearts considering building a new training facility

There’s 7 years left on the Riccarton deal though so there’s no hurry

I think we want to build an indoor pitch on the same site as Oriam and get some more facilities with exclusive access. I read it as a bit of a “how much do you want us to stay” statement. They get £400k a year in rent from us being there. A few fields around Oriam maybe going up for sale in the near future. 

I think we want to build an indoor pitch on the same site as Oriam and get some more facilities with exclusive access. I read it as a bit of a “how much do you want us to stay” statement. They get £400k a year in rent from us being there. A few fields around Oriam maybe going up for sale in the near future. 

That will be quite an outlay in terms of land acquisition and building expenses, at a time when money should be focussed on playing resources imho.

Is there a view that Riccarton requires much (if any) updating?

39 minutes ago, HansEskilssonVolumeControl said:

That will be quite an outlay in terms of land acquisition and building expenses, at a time when money should be focussed on playing resources imho.

I think it is more down to access and privacy. We have our own exclusive use areas at Riccarton, but we have to book the indoor pitch and gym like everyone else. It also means Joe Public can just rock up see what we are working on etc.

Savage has spoken a few times recently about the benefits of having something that is just ours. Conversely he has also spoken about how good the facilities at Oriam are, and how it is a selling point to signing prospects. I’m putting two and two together really, so this is just my inclining based on various interviews. In the EEN McKinlay flippantly mentions if there are any Hearts mad farmers looking to offer us a patch of land, then that would certainly catch our attention. He also mentions a ballpark figure of £20m and floats a few options about potential funding.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/exclusive-hearts-ps20m-plan-for-a-new-training-ground-explained-by-chief-executive-andrew-mckinlay-3708372

Who knows though, it reads to me like we are asking Oriam to consider how much they want us there, before we settle on plans for when the lease runs out in a few years. All quite sensible to leave all options open at the moment, and to explore the different possibilities. 

Since we abandoned the one man band of Levein running everything, we have been systematically fixing each department of the club from top to bottom.

Neilson comes back and ditches the Levein and Stendel circus.

Ann becomes chairperson and concentrated on the business side of things. 

Anderson comes on to the board. Sponsorship and partnerships bring in more money.

McKinlay takes CEO job.

Savage takes over football operations and appoints his own team of scouts and analysts.

FoH board bring in some really experienced business professionals. One of them also joins the club board.

Womens team overhauled, and more funding and ambition instilled.

Stadium completion stepped up with funding in place for the final vacant floor of the stand getting fitted out, and screens etc sourced.

The next box on that list appears to be the academy and our training base. This also includes the step up from youth academy to first team, hence the lobby to get the reserve league reestablished, or a suitable alternative established, such as colts.

I like the way we go about our business just now. It all feels pretty sensible and professional, and stems from having the right people heading up their departments. I have faith in us making the right decision with the academy and training facilities. I personally hope that will be us building something connected to Oriam where we have more of our own improved set up there, but we continue in partnership with them on some things.

2 hours ago, HansEskilssonVolumeControl said:

It would indeed be quite an outlay which is presumably why we’re starting  to address the question with several years  to spare. 

2 hours ago, Gorgie greatness said:

400K pa is a decent mortgage tbf.

Yip. If you consider that is what we are paying now anyway, then if we ended up getting a loan from Anderson or some sort of blended finance set up involving more than one source, then we have a starting point for repayments of 400k straight off the bat where we wouldn't notice any added stress to our outgoings. Obviously there are a lot of other things to consider too, mind you. Maybe benefactors are happy to pay for the project and would not want us to repay them? There would also be the servicing and upkeep of the facilities that would fall on us as a responsibility rather than the landlords, like in our current arrangements. Lots more to consider besides, but it is encouraging that we are thinking about it nice and early.

Edited by Kyle Reese

Not seen it mentioned anywhere, but apologies if it has been:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-agree-terms-to-sign-kye-rowles-from-central-coast-mariners-3719317

Terms agreed with Rowles.

I also have a couple of wee snippets that we are interested in shopping for another Aussie. Also a defender.

On top of that we are quite hungry, but could only manage half an Indian if we decided to go down that route.

Last one I heard a rumour of our interest in may buck the trend, but won’t be free, man.

😄

Edited by Kyle Reese