OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

1 hour ago, Connor1874 said:

Another thing which people seem to overlook, is that Dundee United aren't a rival to Hearts, nor were they at the time.

TBF, Dundee Utd, even in relegation trouble, are as much of a rival (or otherwise) of Hearts as Rangers are. We were no more likely to sink down to Utd's level that season than we are to catch Rangers this.

2 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Now if Rangers would just give us 2 million, everyone would be happy :)

Haha, if only. I still reckon half a million will be too much for us to bring him in this window.

I also think if we do plan on making an offer to bring him in this window, it will come after the Hearts v Celtic match.

10 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Presumably '1/2 million' means half a million, which is what Hearts are reported to be after for his January signature.

Given that Rangers are the only potential buyer that would seem a bit ambitious unless Aberdeen can dish out the Durrant treatment tonight to whoever Rangers current best centre half is and inject some urgency into negotiations

56 minutes ago, G51 said:

Dundee United aren’t a rival to Hearts, but Rangers are?

I’ve heard it all now.

Dundee United were already relegated, and we were not due to play them again. You maybe didn't hear(/read) it all.

43 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

TBF, Dundee Utd, even in relegation trouble, are as much of a rival (or otherwise) of Hearts as Rangers are. We were no more likely to sink down to Utd's level that season than we are to catch Rangers this.

They were in the bottom six at the time, and we were in the top six. We weren't direct rivals at the time.

10 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Dundee United were already relegated, and we were not due to play them again. You maybe didn't hear(/read) it all.

They might not have been mathematically able to catch us, but they did play us after that and weren't relegated until they played Dundee in April/May.

That's irrelevant, though, because we didn't sign him on a pre-contract. He left Dundee United immediately in January.

5 minutes ago, DC92 said:

They might not have been mathematically able to catch us, but they did play us after that and weren't relegated until they played Dundee in April/May.

That's irrelevant, though, because we didn't sign him on a pre-contract. He left Dundee United immediately in January.

Some memory on you, mate. I honestly couldn't remember half of the details of this, and didn't even bother thinking about it until folk started trying to claim we did something similar in order to get him from United in the first place.

1 hour ago, lennyzer0 said:

Apologies, I was mistaken, as per above.

56 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

I was referring to this:

3 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

Another thing which people seem to overlook, is that Dundee United aren't a rival to Hearts, nor were they at the time. United were bottom and going down. As you say, United were happy to cash in on him and it was in his best interests to leave a sinking ship.

Souttar leaving us on a free for Rangers has the potential to weaken us while strengthening a rival, purely out of self interest. Many will defend his motives which is fair enough, but its really not rocket science as to why that would leave a bitter taste in the mouth of us, the fans.

Pre-contract very much are a part of football and sure, we've signed plenty ourselves. But context is key, and in this case, its very clear why Hearts supporters are not one bit happy with John Souttar.

Also, comments about it being our fault for not negotiating a contract with him. I can only go on rumours I've read elsewhere, but if they're true, we pulled out all the stops to keep Souttar and were prepared to make him a substantial offer. But we can't match Rangers and Souttar knows that, thus pointing to one clear motive: Money.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Dundee United aren’t a rival to Hearts, but Rangers are?

I’ve heard it all now.

When Rangers were in the lower leagues, were Celtic your rivals?

2 hours ago, lennyzer0 said:

I'm using the term rival in the historical sense. If Hearts were in the Championship, Rangers wouldn't be a direct rival to us competitively, but I'd still consider Rangers as a rival, just like Hibs and Celtic. If Souttar went back to Dundee United now, I wouldn't care as much as I do about him going to Rangers. 

37 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Some memory on you, mate. I honestly couldn't remember half of the details of this, and didn't even bother thinking about it until folk started trying to claim we did something similar in order to get him from United in the first place.

All I remembered was us signing him for 6 figures in January and Dundee United getting relegated at Dens tbh.

Quite incredible that a point about the ethics of announcing pre-contracts from the same division during the season has triggered so much discussion about a transfer which... was not a pre-contract.

For the record, I don't care about said ethical discussion.

11 minutes ago, DC92 said:

All I remembered was us signing him for 6 figures in January and Dundee United getting relegated at Dens tbh.

Quite incredible that a point about the ethics of announcing pre-contracts from the same division during the season has triggered so much discussion about a transfer which... was not a pre-contract.

Didn't Hearts sign Barr, Black, Taouil and Haulket on PCAs?  Can't remember the immoral fuss kicked up when they went through. 

5 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Didn't Hearts sign Barr, Black, Taouil and Haulket on PCAs?  Can't remember the immoral fuss kicked up when they went through. 

17 minutes ago, DC92 said: