OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

In choosing not to sign Logan, who has been good, and who allowed Smith to play elsewhere, Neilson has pissed me off already - Logan could have been a Neil Pointon figure to help transition a long term RB.

In choosing to sign 'Cheesy' Stewart, who's conceded 5 in 2 games when given the chance against QOS and Brora (nae offence intended), Neilson has pissed me off again in the same fucking day.

We're only just into May, and he's made two questionable calls ahead ahead of prep for next season - I've no faith in RN signing players that will improve us to where we need to be. 

Neil maybe wouldn't want the gig, but McInnes is twiddling his thumbs - maybe not everyone's ideal cup of tea, but I'd trust him more than I do Neilson. 

On 27/04/2021 at 13:19, topcat(The most tip top) said:

To try and assess quite how underwhelming that championship win was I've looked up against previous winners converted their Points to a 27 game equivalent to compare with our current season

One word summary "Average"

1:Hearts 2014–15 (91/36)=  68.3/27
2:Falkirk 2002–03 (81/36)=  60.8/27
2:Rangers 2015–16 (81/36)=  60.8/27
4:Ross County 2011–12 (79/36)=  59.3/27
5:Partick Thistle 2012–13 (78/36)=  58.5/27
6:Hamilton 2007–08 (76/36)=  57.0/27
7:St Mirren 2005–06 (76/36)=  57.0/27
8:Dundee United 2019–20 (59/28)=  56.9/27
9:Falkirk 2004–05 (75/36)=  56.3/27
10:St Mirren 2017–18 (74/36)=  55.5/27
11:Inverness 2009–10 (73/36)=  54.8/27
12:Hibs 2016–17 (71/36)=  53.3/27
12:Ross County 2018–19 (71/36)=  53.3/27
14:Inverness 2003–04 (70/36)=  52.5/27
14:Dunfermline 2010–11 (70/36)=  52.5/27
16:Dundee 2013–14 (69/36)=  51.8/27
17:Partick Thistle 2001–02 (66/36)=  49.5/27
17:Gretna 2006–07 (66/36)=  49.5/27
19:St Johnstone 2008–09 (65/36)=  48.8/27

Right now we're on exactly 2 point/game so we're 10th on Goal Difference ahead of St Mirren's last title, and exactly in line with the overall  average (1391 Pts/676 Games)

The worst case scenario is we lose to Raith finish on 54 and are 12th out of 20 slightly ahead of Neil Lennon's Hibs side

A draw would see us 11th

The Best Case is 57 points which would see us 6th on Goal Difference

Neilson has stated that 'if you look at our points per game it would be one of the best performances in the history of the championship so it is important to put it into perspective.'

Your working must be wrong I guess?

If there hadn't been so many Bobbly pitches then we would have got more points too.

Neilson has stated that 'if you look at our points per game it would be one of the best performances in the history of the championship so it is important to put it into perspective.'
Your working must be wrong I guess?
If there hadn't been so many Bobbly pitches then we would have got more points too.

That working was before beating Raith upgraded it from “Average” to “Above Average”

I’d have called 6th out of 20 “one of the better” as opposed to “one of the best” but it’s not an outrageous bit of spin

If by “history of the championship” we mean “since 2013” then it’s 3rd out of 8

On a more general point I think there’s general agreement amongst Hearts fans that the team underperformed but there’s less consensus as to the scale of it.

Hardly anybody thinks 57 was enough points but nobody says how many points would be enough

I’ll start and say 62

Behave, it's an embarrassing boast he's no business making.

If the club and it's manager were a little more forthright in accepting the failings then I think they'd have more respect from the fans. Unfortunately we're going to be talking about how the club has underachieved again in 12 months time. His failure to sort out the centre backs is woeful mismanagement.

1 hour ago, Falcor Roar said:

Behave, it's an embarrassing boast he's no business making.

If the club and it's manager were a little more forthright in accepting the failings then I think they'd have more respect from the fans. Unfortunately we're going to be talking about how the club has underachieved again in 12 months time. His failure to sort out the centre backs is woeful mismanagement.

Shall I put you down for 67 then

20 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Stick me down for 72 then because apparently there is no pleasing PHM expectations anyway.

72 out of 81 means you'd have been absolutely delighted to see Hearts lose three games in a season. That's the culture of complacency, acceptance of medicrity and lack of hunger and ambition that's plaguing the club. People like you  are part of the problem etc...

Josh Ginnelly has officially been released by Preston North End.

As a proper hearts man I'm reserving judgement to see whether I should be furious because Nelson hasn't  signed a player who was really impressive last season or furious that he's signed a player who was injury prone last season.

We have to sign ginnelly, good premiership player I reckon, given the games he played in the championship he ripped teams to shreds.

Louis Moult also released from Preston, turned 29 today in fact. Naismith potentially retiring so would be a good replacement for him.

Not sure I'd want to risk signing the pair of them given their injuries in recent seasons - we know that Ginnelly fits in quite well at the club, and I would take a chance on him.

A wee bit less keen on Moult as he's only played a handful of games in the last 2 seasons - he was a bit of a goal machine at 'well - could be good if he can steer clear of injuries, but how many players have we said that of? Sad to say it's not ideal to have to rely too much on crocs. Harsh, like. 

On 12/05/2021 at 15:47, the jambo-rocker said:

Stick me down for 72 then because apparently there is no pleasing PHM expectations anyway.

We've been dreadful in a number of games that we've scrapped a win against opposition who have a fraction of our spending power. Is it unreasonable to be concerned about how this form will translate to us stepping up to the Premiership or will we just assume we're too big to go down again? That's before you even consider Brora and Alloa in the cup.

24 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

We've been dreadful in a number of games that we've scrapped a win against opposition who have a fraction of our spending power. Is it unreasonable to be concerned about how this form will translate to us stepping up to the Premiership or will we just assume we're too big to go down again? That's before you even consider Brora and Alloa in the cup.

@Topcat, I should temper my expectations further.

We are lucky, I'd go as far to say feel privileged, to even be in the presence of big teams in the form of their lives like St. Mirren and the sooner we all adhere to these Neilson enforced expectations, the sooner we can all get behind the team and the stratospheric expectations of dare I say it, best of the rest in the bottom 6; never mind any of that actually getting into the top 6 nonsense.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

Thank you for loaning us Zlamal.

Made a big save to help us into Europe, on a day when the alternative was an 18yo with no senior games.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thank you for loaning us Zlamal.

Made a big save to help us into Europe, on a day when the alternative was an 18yo with no senior games.

No need to thank us just don’t let us down next weekend!
I’m commiserating entering the 5th decade next weekend as it is!

• 3 weeks later...