Ross County v Motherwell 03/08/20

33 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think the red card is harsh.  I think the Motherwell penalty is more than harsh.  And I think Stewart will be away before the transfer deadline for about a third of his value.  That guy is really a testament to the effect coaching can have on a player.  He was so raw when he first signed, but he looks completely at home at this level.

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I think the red card is harsh. 

No chance. All he has to do is run into Gardyne. If you fly through the air legs akimbo and scissor a player down - you're going off. Every single time. 

Absolute lunacy to go in like that, but lunacy I can get on board with. Terrific patter. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

15 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I think the red card is harsh.  I think the Motherwell penalty is more than harsh.  And I think Stewart will be away before the transfer deadline for about a third of his value.  That guy is really a testament to the effect coaching can have on a player.  He was so raw when he first signed, but he looks completely at home at this level.

Looks like he's really filled out, too. Gone from beanpole to athlete. Shame to think you might get bent over for him, but either way, the 25k-ish you paid us has been a proper bargain. Shame Alan Stubbs can't spot talent like you guys managed.

Can't add much to what's already been said, but what I will say is I'm pretty bemused at Robinson sticking square pegs in round holes.

There's been so many times over the years where we've had to play a right-footed player at left wing, a centre-forward out wide, a winger on the wrong side, a centre-midfielder wide, but this season there is no excuse.

Unless Campbell was carrying a knock or we are keeping him fit to be sold, Robinson needs his head checking for leaving him off the full 90.

The keeper and back four were all fine, but we have five central midfielders and suitable candidates for each of the three usual forward roles.

We also are in a rare situation where we have two left-footed wingers, two right-footed wingers, three out and out centre forwards and a guy who can play "all across the front three". I'm always wary of us carrying a big squad and I think having nine players listed as "forward" on the website is massively bloated anyway, but to then play a central midfielder in a forward role makes that worse.

I think we have the luxury of suitable candidates in the side for not only every position, but every role. So surely we should pick the most suitable player for each role and have the balls to drop someone if they're not the most suitable for any role, regardless of who they are or how good they are. That way, you might get a good performance out of either Turnbull or Polworth, rather than a substandard performance from both, for example.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

Deserved win.

We started well and quite rightly were awarded the penalty. A tremendous finish which no keeper would have saved. .

Second half Motherwell pressed, but for all that Laidlaw just had one save of note to make. He coped well with the high balls in to the box and comfortably snapped them all up.

Dreadful penalty (it was one in my opinion). How you manage to miss from that distance is beyond me.

No need for the challenge which led to the red card. Referee got that one right.

Seedorf was the only real threat for the visitors.

Tougher tests await, but to get a home win and a clean sheet is a great start to the season.

13 hours ago, ropy said:

Thought it was soft but on the replay the defender bumped him forward (which would have been extremely soft) then tugged his shirt back which is a penalty all day long although seldom seen.  I suspect the linesman saw it.

Linesman could not have seen it, he was blind to it, several players in the line of view, including Donaldson.

How can you fall forward, when pulled back the way?

Soft, but he did have a hold on his shirt, I suspect White knew exactly what he was going to do.

On 27/07/2020 at 18:16, Comrie said:

For a team that hypes up the youth academy, we've an old as hell potential first eleven.

I'd take a draw, to be honest.

The Doom Merchants need to check their facts.

Ross County average age 25.8

Third  lowest in the SPL starting weekend.

Do you think Rangers or Celtic fans will give a >>>>  what their player average age is when if one them win the league?

If memory serves me, one current Rangers player is 37.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Is there anyone rumoured to be in for Stewart? Very impressed with him last night.

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Is there anyone rumoured to be in for Stewart? Very impressed with him last night.

No doubt Burton Albion will be circling.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Looks like he's really filled out, too. Gone from beanpole to athlete. Shame to think you might get bent over for him, but either way, the 25k-ish you paid us has been a proper bargain. Shame Alan Stubbs can't spot talent like you guys managed.

Yeah, that’s a good point.  Spent lockdown in the garage gym, I guess.  

1 hour ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

The Doom Merchants need to check their facts.

Ross County average age 25.8

Third  lowest in the SPL starting weekend.

Do you think Rangers or Celtic fans will give a >>>>  what their player average age is when if one them win the league?

If memory serves me, one current Rangers player is 37.

Swap Tremarco for Reid and you get a different picture.  Either way, I agree, it’s irrelevant.  

22 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Hibs made a bid which didn’t meet the valuation County put on him.  I’m guess it was in excess of whatever they paid for Nisbet. 

14 minutes ago, Comrie said:

No doubt Burton Albion will be circling.

Indeed.  League 2 on triple wages seems to be the way of things. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Alan Stubbs was clueless. Letting Stewart go, even for a fee was a bit strange. To bring in Brock-Madsen, who was nowhere near the level required, was awful.

Stewart was a bit unlucky with us. He clearly had talent and good to see with some development County have brought it out of him. We can develop young midfielders for fun but can't find a striker! 

15 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Alan Stubbs was clueless. Letting Stewart go, even for a fee was a bit strange. To bring in Brock-Madsen, who was nowhere near the level required, was awful.

Stewart was a bit unlucky with us. He clearly had talent and good to see with some development County have brought it out of him. We can develop young midfielders for fun but can't find a striker! 

It pains when a player is deemed not good enough and is effectively let go, only to thrive at his next club.  Fortunately, most managers are vaguely competent and it very rarely happens.  Ahem.  

3 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

No chance. All he has to do is run into Gardyne. If you fly through the air legs akimbo and scissor a player down - you're going off. Every single time. 

Absolute lunacy to go in like that, but lunacy I can get on board with. Terrific patter. 

Aye I've watched it back a few times and if he'd just stayed on his feet he'd have either body checked Gardyne or clipped his heels. Either of which would have been a booking and a wee ticking off from the ref. But flying into that at knee height, nowhere near the ball is nailed on for a red. 

4 hours ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Linesman could not have seen it, he was blind to it, several players in the line of view, including Donaldson.

How can you fall forward, when pulled back the way?

Soft, but he did have a hold on his shirt, I suspect White knew exactly what he was going to do.

If your shirt is pulled back you lean forward to free yourself, when the shirt is released your momentum makes you fall forward.  It was the tug, not the fall that caused the infringement.

Fully realise this is a heavy nerd type post but I see WhoScored? is publishing full stats for the Premiership games.

A comparison of touches between Laidlaw and Carson is quite a picture. 14 of Carson's 35 touches were outside his box.

586330201_ScreenShot2020-08-04at20_12_21.png.44079919eee778d2601d60cce9475d81.png

5 of Lang's 6 dribbles were successful.

1643591416_ScreenShot2020-08-04at20_14_24.png.0c3a6b520e7b809c0517eca494d060ef.png

Hastie lost possession 7 times. More than anyone else on the park.

1541371872_ScreenShot2020-08-04at20_15_54.png.4adb3027ace9a4856b4a7b46f067f1b1.png

Also...

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

11 hours ago, silver said:

Deserved win.

We started well and quite rightly were awarded the penalty. A tremendous finish which no keeper would have saved. .

Second half Motherwell pressed, but for all that Laidlaw just had one save of note to make. He coped well with the high balls in to the box and comfortably snapped them all up.

Dreadful penalty (it was one in my opinion). How you manage to miss from that distance is beyond me.

No need for the challenge which led to the red card. Referee got that one right.

Seedorf was the only real threat for the visitors.

Tougher tests await, but to get a home win and a clean sheet is a great start to the season.

I listened to that fat p***k Boyd tear Motherwell a new one for that performance. Then I listened to a more measured review of the game from Maloney and Fleeting on Sportscene that was surprisingly good.  Both felt Motherwell fully merited a draw and I concur. 

Ross County started the better but as soon as we sorted our shape out and got Turnbull back to his correct central position we dominated the game. Both teams had a penalty, both teams had shots hit the woodwork and into the bargain we missed an absolute sitter. 

Funnily enough that was a better performance than our 1st home game away to Livi last season where we stole a point in a drab 0-0. Then went on to lose our next game at home to Celtic. Still finished 3rd.

We will get better and I was quite impressed with McGinley and Lamie. Lang also had a bit about him before his daft challenge. Seedorf was unrecognisable and Turnbull showed glimpses of the absolute baller he is. 

Disappointing result last night but we will be fine this season.  

7 hours ago, welldaft said:

Both teams had a penalty, both teams had shots hit the woodwork and into the bargain we missed an absolute sitter. 

And just to even it up Charles-Cook squandered the chance when put clean through by Gardyne. A draw would have been fair but grateful for the worst penalty I’ve seen fir a while.