Ross County v Motherwell 03/08/20

Can't believe it's been as long as it has been since we've had some proper football but here we are!

I think we'll be quite cautious in our approach to this game as Motherwell are a good side.

By all accounts RCC has been good in the pre season games so I can see him starting

I can see us going

Laidlaw (Doohan if he signs)

Randall    Donaldson   Morris    Reid

RCC Paton Draper Vigurs Stewart

Mckay

A nice 1-1 draw to leave both sides mildly content.

Very difficult to pick a line up at this point with any certainty, midfield will be interesting with so many choices, the defence will be Grimshaw, Lamie, Gallagher, and McGinley. Up front I would expect Hylton and Hastie to be out wide, Long in the centre. I think our weakest area is going to turn out to be the defence with Gillespie away and Carroll and Dunn still injured, McGinn and Lamie still need time to settle in, Gallagher is key. I have Ross County Down as finishing bottom so I’ve pretty much got to go for a Motherwell win, we will see.

Edited by Yorky

In theory County’s line-up could be anything. In reality Ketts will rely on the old heads I think, even if they were annihilated at Fir Park in the penultimate match of last season. Morris didn’t feature in either of the weekend’s friendlies so I’m going to guess he won’t make this. Otherwise the two friendlies over the weekend showed little partnerships that hint at how the manager sees players being used together.

Predicted line-up:

Doohan

Randall | Donaldson | Fontaine | Tremarco

Mullin | Draper | Vigurs | Gardyne

Mckay

Stewart

Average age of 30  :osama: The CB slot next to Donaldson is up for grabs if Morris is absent - a triumvirate of Fontaine, Tremarco and Gardyne would have an aggregate age of 102 years.

I don’t see Motherwell being too different from their line-up vs Hamilton.

Edited by bunglebonce

I think Robinson is likely to go with the side that’s most fit, and has the chance of playing the full 90. He’s already said guys like Long and Mugabi were a bit behind the others so I doubt they’ll start. Can see us going with this:

Carson

Grimshaw    Gallagher    Lamie   McGinley

Campbell   O’Hara   Polworth

Hastie                       Watt                        Hylton

Expecting Turnbull will get minutes in place of Polworth in the second half, and then we’ll switch out 2 of the front 3 depending on how the game is going. 

Laidlaw 

Randall Donaldson Watson Tremarco

Cook Draper Vigurs Mullin

Stewart Mckay

I’d have Morris starting if he’s available in place of Watson , harsh on Paton and gardyne but they will play key roles this season as it progresses I’m sure.

genuinely looking forward to this game and 3 points would be a great start but Motherwell will be ready and it’ll be a tough one

2-2 McKay and Stewart 

For a team that hypes up the youth academy, we've an old as hell potential first eleven.

I'd take a draw, to be honest.

Our biggest headache is who to start in central midfield. It’s a shame that the Donnelly centre back experiment in pre season hasn’t seemed to work out.

My front three would be Hylton, Long and Hastie.

If our pre season is anything to go by then this will be a high scoring game. 2-2 draw

5 hours ago, Comrie said:

For a team that hypes up the youth academy, we've an old as hell potential first eleven.

I'd take a draw, to be honest.

We don't have a youth system.  Any decent prospect is sold to fund another midfield jobber.  We must have the worst minutes played of youth players of any side that's been in the top league since 2012.  Even Motherwell give our youth players more games 

Edited by Loki

21 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I think I will struggle to feel like this is a "real" game.

Think everyone is in the same boat , gonna be weird for the players too. Hopefully we can get three points . Would  have loved to be strolling up to Fir Park next week  . Utd would have brought a great away support and i think it would have been a great game to kick off at home.  Alas it's all a bit meh due to Covid . Haven't really enjoyed any English games on tv over the last few weeks  so dunno if having my own team on will improve the closed door match experience. Time will tell.

I'm looking forward to Sky piping in the fake crowd noise so it feels like we have an atmosphere.

I will sadly miss the old gudgies slating Vigurs though.  So if they could include a "Vigurs get rid of it" or "Vigurs you lazy...." then it would truly be a Ross County experience.

I long for my ears bleeding.

Going by our pre-season games I'd have said the only real questions are whether Polworth starts ahead of Turnbull and what our front 3 looks like - Long has pretty much missed most of our pre-season so is probably a fair bit behind the rest of the squad for fitness - then again he got an hour against Accies so maybe he's closer than I think.

Carson
Grimshaw Gallagher Lamie McGinley
Campbell Donnelly Polworth
Hastie White Watt

Based purely on conceding 3 vs Killie (though we ended up conceding when we had a back 4 of teenagers), 4 vs Rangers and 2 vs Accies we've seemed pretty shaky at the back over the course of the bounce games especially without Gallagher in the side. I know a couple of our posters on here have had the pleasure of watching the BCD games so they should be able to say whether I'm wide of the mark on that.

Grimshaw had a nightmare against Rangers, Lamie and McGinley are not long in the door while Carson hasn't played a competitive game since November 2018 on account of his DVT and the subsequent form of Gillespie last season.

Given the weirdness of the whole situation I'd probably take a draw tbh.

17 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'm looking forward to Sky piping in the fake crowd noise so it feels like we have an atmosphere.

I will sadly miss the old gudgies slating Vigurs though.  So if they could include a "Vigurs get rid of it" or "Vigurs you lazy...." then it would truly be a Ross County experience.

I long for my ears bleeding.

I love it when Vigurs shells a 40 yard pass perfectly into someone's path and while the balls in the air you'll hear 'that's shite Vi... GREAT BALL VIGURS'  because he doesn't hoof the ball every time he has it the old team think he's a show pony.

Just now, Loki said:

You won't be saying that when he shells a pass right through your sitting room window.

he'd be about 765 yards off his intended target then.

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

You won't be saying that when he shells a pass right through your sitting room window.

We don’t have sitting rooms in Motherwell, it’s Lounges if you don’t mind.

0 0 bore fest