Your favourite films as a kid

accies1874

First rented vhs I ever saw was Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The strongest memory is of sitting with my pals and  big brothers watching it pretending to be blase, but inside was desperate for it to be over. 

If only Kenneth Williams could have appeared and camped it up a bit with a reference to a big chopper.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I was amazed when I discovered that the whole Carry On/Benny Hill genre was supposed to be entertainment for grown-ups. They're essentially live-action Road Runner/Pepe le Pew cartoons with ladies in lingerie. I read something a while back about how, in modern times, IQs have increased with each generation, so we're at the point that our great-grandparents would now be considered mentally subnormal. Can't help wondering if that doesn't have something to do with it.

And The Black and White Minstrel Show was family entertainment!! Strange times.

My objection was nothing to do with racism because I had no clue about that. It was just an incredibly awful tv show with shite music. And a distinct lack of ladies in lingerie, obviously.

Disney classics like
Dumbo
Jungle Book
101 Dalmatians
“Raaabinoood”

James Bond

The Italian Job (original)

Star Wars (does 14 still count as a kid?)
Star Trek

My descent into terrible Swords and magic fantasy films (with my friends) didn’t really start until the advent of home VCR by which time I was away at university.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who was a kid in the 80s my obvious ones are really, really fucking obvious:

• Star Wars trilogy
  • Back To The Future
  • Raiders of The Lost Ark
  • Top Gun

I watched Back To The Future the other week and it absolutely still stands up. Tbh I'd watch pretty much anything with Michael J Fox so Teen Wolf and The Secret of My Success were on repeat as well.

Commando and Predator were probably my picks of the Schwarzenegger catalogue.

Someone mentioned Smokey & The Bandit earlier in the thread and in the same vein I absolutely loved Cannonball Run. Proper school holidays, parked in front of the TV viewing.

I rewatched Back to the Future trilogy lately and can't believe I've only just noticed that the bloke who dares Marty to get involved in some dodgy dealings in 2015, leading to him getting the sack, is the same guy that eggs him on to have a car race in 1985.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I rewatched Back to the Future trilogy lately and can't believe I've only just noticed that the bloke who dares Marty to get involved in some dodgy dealings in 2015, leading to him getting the sack, is the same guy that eggs him on to have a car race in 1985.

Flea from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, is it not? Those films were good for that kind of thing. I remember spending years asking the folk at the video shop if Back to the Future 2 was out yet...I'd given up by the time they got around to it.

Just been thinking about the films I used to get my mum to rent from the local video shop back in the early Eighties. Those places were magic before Blockbuster took everything over.  For some reason I loved the 'making of' video for Michael Jackson's Thriller, Young Frankenstein, and a (now obscure) horror spoof called Saturday the 14th. I think I convinced myself that these were actual horror films.

Things I wasn't allowed to watch: A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2 (they had a massive cardboard display for it at the shop and it looked awesome), Cannibal Holocaust (the box art caught my eye for some reason), and I was never allowed behind the curtain. I wonder what they kept back there?

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Cannibals, most likely.

f**k me. The adult world is a mystical, unknowable place.

Edit: pretty sure I had no idea what a cannibal was when I was four, never mind a holocaust. But that lad on the box looked so hungry.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

27 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The whole thing is so cleverly written, with lots of little touches linking everything. One of my favourites is the Jones family manure company being handed down through the ages.