Your favourite films as a kid

accies1874

I watched Fantastic Mr Fox recently which I absolutely loved as a kid and absolutely loved when I watched it the other day, and it got me thinking about some of my other favourites as a child.

Like many my age, I was obsessed with the Harry Potter series but haven't revisited them in ages. A Series of Unfortunate Events was another book series with an adaptation I watched way too often. I also remember loving The Lord of the Rings without ever remembering watching them until I was like 15.

There were a few superhero ones too. Some absolutely do hold up (some of the original X-Men and Spider-Man trilogies and The Incredibles) and some absolutely do not (some of the original X-Men and Spider-Man trilogies, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Hancock).

So, Pie and Bovril, what were some of your faves as a kid? Have you watched them recently - do they hold up?

Transformers: The Movie got watched so often that the tape wore out and had to be replaced. Watched it again recently, and I'm still emotional at the two bits where "The Touch" plays.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was then, is now, and ever shall be my favourite. It's just magnificent.

Yep, Transformers: The Movie. Amazing how good a cartoon advertisement can become when the manufacturers decide to kill off their existing toy line and replace it with a new one. None of the old crew were getting out of that one alive. I also got to see Raiders of the Lost Ark in the cinema and, I'm sorry, no matter how much fun Last Crusade was, there's no comparison.

I remember really liking Animalympics when I was a tot, although I haven't seen it since then. Don't think it ever got a DVD release, never mind the modern formats. Dragged my mum out to see Ghostbusters three weekends in a row, and was utterly shocked when Gremlins was given a 15 certificate in the UK - I'd already read the paperback adaption and bought the Panini sticker album. Worth the wait when it finally came out on video.

18 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Friday The 13th part VIII

Easily the worst of a bad series, and probably the most kid-friendly, so your maw did well there.

If you liked that one, your mind must have exploded when you got to see the (actually quite good) original.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Easily the worst of a bad series, and probably the most kid-friendly, so your maw did well there.

If you liked that one, your mind must have exploded when you got to see the (actually quite good) original.

IV, II, I, III, VIII, VII, VI,V. I don't count Jason Goes To Hell or Jason X.

1 minute ago, Bert Raccoon said:

IV, II, I, III, VIII, VII, VI,V. I don't count Jason Goes To Hell or Jason X.

That's fair. The last two aren't actually Friday films. Christ, did Jason Takes Manhattan kill the franchise back in the Eighties?  :blink:

Jason X is easily the best film, though. Absolutely hilarious.

As soon as I saw the title of this my first thought was Transformers. Transformers: The Movie was a classic, the emotional roller-coaster of optimus dying at the start! I wasn't ready for that! 

The soundtrack was also immense, the finale when "the touch" plays still gives me goosebumps! 

I was a big cartoon fan as a kid. 101 Dalmations, The Aristocats, The Jungle Book and so on. For live action; I was a big fan of cowboy films although I never really followed the story lines. For me, dialogue was just filler between the fight scenes. It was always a bit of a disappointment when the Indians had rifles instead of bows and arrows but worst of all was when the woman showed up. Because then there was a good chance there was going to be...kissing. Yeeuch.

Me and my Dad didn't do many things together but he was a big James Bond fan so he took me to the pictures whenever a new one came out. My Mum wouldn't go with him and I don't think he wanted to go on his own. I was always a little uncomfortable during the sex scenes because I didn't think he would understand what was going on.

In those pre VCR days, we didn't really have the opportunity to see films multiple times. We had to wait until they came on TV or back around to the pictures. Still, I seem to remember seeing The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape over and over again. Sneaking in through the fire exit to see "A Certificate" films, surreptitious smoking, flinging jelly babies at the kids on the other side of the cinema...golden days

8 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Any Carry On from the 60s or The Nutty Professor (the original with Jerry Lewis).

What can I say?  Kids films at the pictures were generally shite when I was wee. 

I was amazed when I discovered that the whole Carry On/Benny Hill genre was supposed to be entertainment for grown-ups. They're essentially live-action Road Runner/Pepe le Pew cartoons with ladies in lingerie. I read something a while back about how, in modern times, IQs have increased with each generation, so we're at the point that our great-grandparents would now be considered mentally subnormal. Can't help wondering if that doesn't have something to do with it.

Oh, according to my mother, a family we used to know when I was a bairn watched a lot of video nasties with the daughter. Apparently her favourite film was The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Often wondered how that girl turned out, and if she married any P&B posters, before decorating their house with pictures of serial killers.

First film on VHS I ever saw (when my old dad rented a top loader for the weekend) was An American Werewolf in London. Still a favourite and about time the bairn sat down and watched it.

Pretty sure my dad rented something other videos at the time but I believe he watched them once I went to bed.