FM hints and tips

I don't think there has ever been a topic with just hints and tips, so hoping people's input here could be really useful.

I think I have a decent understanding of most of the aspects of the game whih help make you successful (because I'm an addict) but there is almost certainly loads I don't and any help is appreciated. I generally find myself being successful and I think it's perhaps due to some of the small tweaks or lesser known features that give me an edge. If you've just started or playing or haven't played in a while then they may well be completely unknown to you.

Seeing as I started the topic I'll give a few to start. Hoping people can build upon these and add their own. Some of these will definitely seem patronising to the more seasoned/addicted player

• Get the coach/staff member who has best judging player ability/potential to give reports (the person who determines the 'stars'), not just the preset - which I think is assistant manager

• Do not be fooled by the description 'wonderkid'. It has more to do with their current ability at a young age than them actually being able to go on to be a superstar. Some players reach their full potetial very young. Do not assume a 19yr who looks very good will continue progressing at the same rate until their mid 20's. Double check the scout report says they still have plenty of improvementt left

• Pay attention to the preferred moves. The one I notice has the most benefit is training  strikers to 'place shots'. Noticeable far fewer blast over the bar and more Henry-esque sidefooters into the bottom corner

• Train players to roles that require a lot of different attributes to be good, for example deeplying playmaker, even if that's not exactly the role you play them in now. Give everyplayer an individual training focus. A good example is the guy below. On first appearances he was not great but scouts raved about him. I was concerned he was very poor in the physical attributes. I signed him for £45,000 (yes, forty five thousand pouds). I hammered them with individual focus, He's now my starting DLP in the Premier League and very content with his £9.25k a week.

1987752118_FranciscoMarques_Profile.thumb.png.a921ff2a5d57980b2f2752bbb241ae19.png

186365605_FranciscoMarques_Progress.thumb.png.fc7025d70b08e855e5b2116cc4caaeaf.png

Big one that I've noticed is to pay attention to players personalities. Players with "unambitious" or "casual" or the like almost never reach the potential your scouts say they have, while ones with professional or something are much more likely to. And always make sure that anyone in charge of one of the mentoring groups has a positive personality.

17 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Big one that I've noticed is to pay attention to players personalities. Players with "unambitious" or "casual" or the like almost never reach the potential your scouts say they have, while ones with professional or something are much more likely to. And always make sure that anyone in charge of one of the mentoring groups has a positive personality.

The ones you've mentioned are obviously not great, but wondering how the personality x determination works?

I signed Ezequiel Zeballos because he was so much better than what I had, but his personality was only balanced, and determination was 7 (since got that up to 10 with mentoring). He has since reached his max potential after 3 seasons (he would get into your generic top 4 team).

Is it the case that it's as long as it's not terrible then it shouldn't matter too much?

EDIT - With mentoring, I keep mine in small groups with one very good pro with a couple of ne'rdowells and that seems to work.

Edited by Am Featha Taigh Nan Clach

1 minute ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

The ones you've mentioned are obviously not great, but wondering how the personality x determination works?

I signed Ezequiel Zeballos because he was so much better than what I had, but his personality was only balanced, and determination was 7 (since got that up to 10 with mentoring). He has since reached his max potential after 3 seasons (he would get into your generic top 4 team).

Is it the case that it's as long as it's not terrible then it shouldn't matter too much?

think that the determination is one of the attributes that contributes to personality along with leadership and a bunch of other stuff that you can't see. I think balanced is basically fine as a personality.

But aye as long as you avoid the obviously terrible ones, I think it's fine

• 3 weeks later...

If yer at a shite club and wanting to go up the divisions dont bother upgrading youth stuff. The quality you can bring through is limited by reputation (with a few rare exceptions). The guys you get through after... 3 years at Burntisland will probably be good enough for the Lowland League but, by the time they are, yer in League One.

3 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If yer at a shite club and wanting to go up the divisions dont bother upgrading youth stuff. The quality you can bring through is limited by reputation (with a few rare exceptions). The guys you get through after... 3 years at Burntisland will probably be good enough for the Lowland League but, by the time they are, yer in League One.

I agree. With Palermo, okay maybe not a shite club but they were in the bottom tier, I ended up making about £5 million of off selling the youth players. The cheapest was for about £500k going up to £1.5 million all with 40-50% sell on clauses. Only one has maybe not worked out as I sold him for £500k then sold the release clause for about the same and he ended up being sold for £5 million, so I missed out on about £2 million but none of them would even get on the bench where I am now.

• 3 months later...

I'm sure many of you probably do this, but don't be shy to include ridiculous bonuses when trying to entice a player to your club. Be mindful of it obviously, but I started a season with Sonderjyske in the Danish league the other night. Limited budgets and needed a striker so brought in a 29 year old striker from an Icelandic club. Could only offer £120k and they wouldn't budge below £150k. Managed to wangle them down to £100k on the basis that I pay them £40 million if I win the Europa League. 

Let's be real, that's no going to happen in the next few seasons, especially considering I'll be probably playing in the Euro Cup II next season onwards.

I've not got FM21 but it's logical and works on FM20, but if you're not planning a long term save (10 seasons+) and are struggling to stump up funds for the player(s) you need then bang a 50% sell on clause and you'll get them for around quarter of the price.