2020/21 Challenge Cup

25 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Did they also tell you that the previous years competition would have to be completed first?

Would it? When were the 19/20 league competitions finished after lockdown was declared?

• 3 weeks later...
If "foreign" sides are likely to be missing for this year's competition, are we therefore likely to see more participants from Highland and lowland league to bolster the numbers?

Would guess it's more likely the tournament is shortened a wee bit to reduce the number of games.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Reports in the press today that this will be shelved for this season. When (if?) it comes back it should be without foreign teams and Premiership reserves.

Get the colts in the sea but the ‘foreign’ teams are a very good addition. 

I don't think a format for 2020-21 was ever decided. So it could have been anything since they've tweaked it a number of times in the last 10 years.

But there's a couple non-SPFL clubs that aren't happy with how this has been handled.

Not letting those teams know before putting it out publicly isn't good but I'm not sure they can complain too much about not being consulted on the decision - they are invited clubs in another league's competition.

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Maybe the announcement should have been delayed.  However had the non-league clubs been formally invited or have they just assumed it because other sides that finished in their position have been invited in the past?

I don't think anyone could have been invited to a competition the SPFL weren't sure would be played. So it's a disappointment over the lack of communication. Which isn't surprising from the SPFL. If I'm remembering correctly some the recent chances were sprung on SPFL members based on the Competition Committee's decisions without consultation.

36 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:I don't think anyone could have been invited to a competition the SPFL weren't sure would be played. So it's a disappointment over the lack of communication. Which isn't surprising from the SPFL. If I'm remembering correctly some the recent chances were sprung on SPFL members based on the Competition Committee's decisions without consultation.

Aye communications haven’t been there best.  You only need to take the Dundee vote fiasco, at the time there was no need for a statement before all votes were in, and even if they did a short statement about requesting votes to be in for 5pm however the clubs have 28 days to respond and they await remaining ballots.

It seems they have a over keenness to be first to press and they put that above making sure the internal comms are properly completed.