Post lockdown pubwatch

46 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Do you mean The Hunter S Thompson? I.e. the pub that used to be McGonagall's and Drouthie Neebours.

It's owned by the same guy who runs The George Orwell and it seemed to be an art studenty place pre lockdown. I'm not sure when the middle aged polo geezers turned up.

Was decent as drouthys with the taps in the wall. 

The Orwell is alright for a pint if it's quiet. Anymore than about 6 other folk in there and it's just boring c***s sneering. 

Guest bernardblack
I'm heading out tonight for the first time and I really don't know what to expect. It is meant to be a fairly large group, which I think will make it all very difficult. Personally I would have postponed something like a big night out for a while yet.
The Dundee folk that have posted on here, how busy have places been? That is my worry, pubs being rammed and then a group of guys trying to find somewhere to drink which means a lot of walking around and waiting in queues.
The first pub is meant to be the Tay Bridge Bar and everyone is arriving in twos and threes depending on when people arrive in Dundee. So it might start fairly smoothly but as soon as we try to move I worry it will get more complicated.
It is all going to be very weird.

You might struggle to get in places without a booking tbh

You might struggle to get in places without a booking tbh

I think we might have a couple of later bookings but I’m thankfully not involved with any of planning! I’m a little bit glad I can just watch things unfold.

First night out in Glasgow in four months last night, went well. 

Had my first proper pint of Guinness in about 4 months in Waxy's, fairly relaxed in there, perspex on the bar, but no real social distancing in table setups and no one really enforcing anything. The place was weirdly quiet, staff promptly disinfecting tables after patrons had left though. The Guinness was fantastic. 

Was in Drury's next, fairly quiet in there as well, a lot more strict, staff in facemasks & visors and asked people to wear a mask if going to the toilet (limited to two people at a time) and moving around. You could still play pool though which was nice. Also, the chips, cheese and haggis is absolutely incredible scran. 

Finished in the Howlin Wolf, first place to actually do a temperature check, we all had to basically look at this wee machine standing at the doorway that reads your temp, quite cool, passed the test and were allowed to drink, success. Tables were all fairly separated out, but not many staff wearing masks. 

For some reason I never checked out if any kebab shops were open and fairly annoyed at myself for this. 

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

I seen photos online of BTW’s new ‘beer garden’ consisting of tables and chairs on the road out the front! 😄 

Will gladly admit I had a hearty chuckle at how unbelievably shite a pub experience it looked and I’m surprised they’ve not had a visit from the police seeing as the photos posted showed the occupied tables were folk clearly all from separate households sitting practically shoulder-shoulder.

Current guidelines say up to 5 households can be together outside (but should still distance).

Guest bernardblack

I think we might have a couple of later bookings but I’m thankfully not involved with any of planning! I’m a little bit glad I can just watch things unfold.

You should be fine then! You’ll definitely be split up if it’s a big group, but it’ll be great to be back in the boozer with your mates!

Some pints in South Shields North Shields and Newcastle on Weds
All fairly relaxed
Sat outside in Newcastle
Very pleasant
South Shields pub by ferry was excellent real Ale establishment , great beer only difference from normal was Perspex on bar and tracing details

6 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Do you mean The Hunter S Thompson? I.e. the pub that used to be McGonagall's and Drouthie Neebours.

It's owned by the same guy who runs The George Orwell and it seemed to be an art studenty place pre lockdown. I'm not sure when the middle aged polo geezers turned up.

Aye there.

Noticeable change in what they have on draft now - basically premium lagers and coder and far less craft options.

I know its only one weekend and being at football will change things but i basically came out of Saturday night thinking i'm done with weekend nights out.

Pubs are for Sunday afternoons 

Edited by invergowrie arab

Went out in Edinburgh last night (I posted earlier in the thread) and it was surreal quiet. Had drinks in Royal Mike at Whiski around 6pm and 10 folk in the place and street outside was  very quiet considering how you’d normally see Royal Mile at late July. You had table service only but no problem getting served.

Had dinner in Miller & Carter; got lucky as apparently they’re booked up for next month or two. Went to Grassmarket after dinner and shown to a table in the Beehive Inn. You had to go order drinks at the bar and they served you there. All very normal apart from one- way system and having to sit at a table which was pleasant as it would presumably be rammed. Ended off at Finnegans Wake on Cowgate. You ordered at bar and drinks were delivered to table. Background music was fine and place busy enough but only sitting at tables and no sign of folk acting like idiots. 

Nice night away but it was eery to see how quiet the city was. Jurys Inn where we stayed were not allowing us into the bar unless it was a pre-booked slot for a meal and the breakfast was off...only option was a “grab bag” which we declined and found a cafe for a cooked breakfast this morning. 

Edited by deegee

8 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

If I go into the George Orwell and ask for a pint at 1984 prices will I be banned?

Only been to one, the day the beer gardens opened. The Hawgait, Glasgow. Didn’t book but waited only about 20 minutes and got a table. 2 hour time slots. Downloading an app (my pub) was preferred but could also order at a table at the door of the beer garden. The pints arrived within 2-3 minutes of ordering on the app. Would 100% recommend this continuing after CV has dies down. One urinal available and also the lavvy, must express this desire to a staff before going in. One way systems in place and generally not allowed in the bar area unless going to/from toilets. Staff very professional. 

Of course this might have all changed now, was a couple of weeks back. 

9/10

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

If I go into the George Orwell and ask for a pint at 1984 prices will I be banned?

No, they take you to a back room and threaten you with rats.

Dows bar at Queen Street on Monday Afternoon. 

Nobody was giving a f**k. No distancing in place and allowed to wander as you pleased and sit at the bar. Pub pretty busy as well.

Added entertainment when some w**k came in and kicked off when told it was a £6 minimum spend on the card machine. Mustve only had £4 in the bank. A few minutes of back and forth obsenetices with various people and he was eventually thrown out.

10/10. 

6 hours ago, Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth said:

Dows bar at Queen Street on Monday Afternoon. 

Nobody was giving a f**k. No distancing in place and allowed to wander as you pleased and sit at the bar. Pub pretty busy as well.

Added entertainment when some w**k came in and kicked off when told it was a £6 minimum spend on the card machine. Mustve only had £4 in the bank. A few minutes of back and forth obsenetices with various people and he was eventually thrown out.

10/10. 

Even at the best of times why does anyone go to Dows when there are decent pubs a few yards away?

Laughing at the railway flotsam and jetsam is about all I can come.up with.

Bring back The Vale, I say!

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Even at the best of times why does anyone go to Dows when there are decent pubs a few yards away?
Laughing at the railway flotsam and person is about all I can come.up with.
Bring back The Vale, I say!

Dows for me is somewhere to run in to use the toilet after getting the train to glasgow, or somewhere you wait for the last train home.

Still the only pub willing to sell unopened bottles of beer to take on the train I’ve encountered in Glasgow.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

Dows for me is somewhere to run in to use the toilet after getting the train to glasgow, or somewhere you wait for the last train home.

Still the only pub willing to sell unopened bottles of beer to take on the train I’ve encountered in Glasgow.

It puts me in a bad mood, it's so depressing. It's the epitome of a shite pub. Even railway station bars are better.

Been playing footgolf in groups of 6 at Drumoig and retiring back to mate with biggest back garden. Decent seats and weather. Beer sub £1 a can/bottle. Partaking in petanque. Takeaway delivered from TajMahal.
Really is so much better than the boozer life.
I'm carrying on this way.