Post lockdown pubwatch

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

The Graeme Hotel Drum and Monkey. One way system for entry and exit, hand sanitizer and table bookings in place. Other than that, normal pub experience despite being quiet. 7/10 6/10

One mark deducted for only having one cask ale and running out of Hells Lager halfway through the afternoon.

4 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Windsor buffet, Leith Walk - notes on the tables with a qr code and link to sign in. No perspex up but only half the normal seats available and masks on if away from your seat. Key for the loo in a Tupperware full of Dettol on the bar is strange, especially as it doesn't actually lock the door it's purely symbolic. No T so a few pints of neck oil were enjoyed.

Should add something I forgot until this morning, while Neck Oil is a gorgeously refreshing number and a pint amongst a variety of ales has no ill effects, drinking it exclusively for a night turns your guts into a concrete mixer. Horrific scenes.

Guest bernardblack
Should add something I forgot until this morning, while Neck Oil is a gorgeously refreshing number and a pint amongst a variety of ales has no ill effects, drinking it exclusively for a night turns your guts into a concrete mixer. Horrific scenes.

Neck oil is a wonderful elixir. But agreed, the next day is like you’ve been drinking stout

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Mayfly - utter shite. Nothing to do with lockdown but it seems to have become a bar for fat 50 year olds in RL polos

Phoenix - Perfect. Like nothing has changed 

Mayfly - that the place they do the 'life' drawings on a Wednesday? Shudder to think why fat 50 year old Ralph Lauren polo wearers would be hanging about there! 

Great news about Phoenix though. Will get up there for some chilli next Friday! 

3 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Tickety Boos.

Never realised they'd re-opened. Decent news, that. 

Bavaria, Glasgow: Booked on-line. One way system. Lots of hand sanitiser. Staff acting as normally as possible with no face masks but ask you to pass plates etc Plenty of gaps between tables. All urinals in use so will be harsh and knock a point off. 9/10

Kastriots, Baillieston. Strictly speaking, this is a restaurant not a pub. Booked on-line. Screens and hand sanitiser everywhere. Some staff in face masks. Cutlery comes with meal, Table space is about 70% of normal as booths lend themselves well to social distancing so those haven't changes. One way enforced by keep left. One person in bathroom at a time despite it being relatively large. Not sure what else they could do - 10/10

Argyle Tavern, Baillieston. Hand sanitiser hidden behind the door so hardly used. Perspex shield on bar but pint glasses don't seem to fit in the aperture below. Staff barking orders to customers - "Details!!!!" Old guys sharing one face mask to go the bookies. No one way system despite it being a large pub with two street doors. No cards allowed. Toilets still manky.  Bare minimum job - 2/10

St Andrew's Bar, Coatbridge. Table booking through contacting the manager (a friend) on Facebook but will take phone bookings..One-way despite the fact it's tiny. Hand sanitiser everywhere. Staff friendly but clear on the rules. No cards but its mostly an old man's pub and the owner clearly isn't keen on having to put 5p on a drink to cover cards for occasional punters like me. Only one of three urinals in use. 9/10

Nipped into the Bon Accord last Wednesday for a spot of lunch. Given it was early and reopening day maybe not the best time to judge but felt that not much had changed. 

No service at the bar, staff wearing visors or masks and less tables in use but grub was good and felt like one of the more normal experiences of this whole pandemic business. 

Not been near a pub since though and unlikely to be this weekend. 

Everywhere in Arbroath pretty much the same, my local actually improved by the table service as it can be a pain to get served at the bar sometimes. Only place that was particular picky was a bar/restaurant type place that’s usually heaving on a Saturday night, briefly went in and it was absolutely dead about 7/8pm on a Saturday night. Couple of pubs not opened but only one of them was any good.

9 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Everywhere in Arbroath pretty much the same, my local actually improved by the table service as it can be a pain to get served at the bar sometimes. Only place that was particular picky was a bar/restaurant type place that’s usually heaving on a Saturday night, briefly went in and it was absolutely dead about 7/8pm on a Saturday night. Couple of pubs not opened but only one of them was any good.

Is Bobby still mine host at the Cliffburn? 

23 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Behind the Wall. Absolutely shite. Humourless staff offering flimsy excuses for having less than half of their beers on tap, forcing you to order drinks via app.

..... acting like you had done an Ebola shite in their breakfast. Shite pub experience.

.......it was fucking rancid.

Sounds like BTW have picked up just where they left off.

Went out for food and pints with a few mates last night. Started in the Corriegarth. They had a sign on the door saying 1m distancing was in place but it was non existent. Basically looked exactly like before lockdown; no staff wearing masks and no one way system anywhere. 

Then we went to Platform 8 which was much better; staff all had masks on, hand sanitisers everywhere, a one way system in place and in the toilets, every 2nd urinal had tape over it, as did the cubicles, so you could physically distance.

Went to go to the Black Isle bar but there was a queue so went across the road to Hootenannys which was similar to Platform 8, probably more sterile as the place reeked of disinfectant.

Got a taxi home and the driver had a mask on and I had to sit in the back so he was taking it seriously too.  Overall it was a good experience apart from the Corriegarth, which happened to be the busiest pub we went to.

Sounds like BTW have picked up just where they left off.
I have never loved it, but often the only place you can find any atmosphere in the town. Especially if the Manor Street big hitters like the Welly and the Scotia are quiet, or the jewel in the crown that is the Tolbooth.

Anyway, BTW is blacklisted for now.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I have never loved it, but often the only place you can find any atmosphere in the town. Especially if the Manor Street big hitters like the Welly and the Scotia are quiet, or the jewel in the crown that is the Tolbooth.

Anyway, BTW is blacklisted for now.

I seen photos online of BTW’s new ‘beer garden’ consisting of tables and chairs on the road out the front! 😄 

Will gladly admit I had a hearty chuckle at how unbelievably shite a pub experience it looked and I’m surprised they’ve not had a visit from the police seeing as the photos posted showed the occupied tables were folk clearly all from separate households sitting practically shoulder-shoulder.

Standing at the bar at the Manhattan is difficult at the best of times. I didn't think they'd be able to implement any kind of measures due to its size so it's reassuring that they're just... not.
I've not been out in Hamilton town centre in a long while- where's Manhattan? Did it used to go by another name?

I'm heading out tonight for the first time and I really don't know what to expect. It is meant to be a fairly large group, which I think will make it all very difficult. Personally I would have postponed something like a big night out for a while yet.

The Dundee folk that have posted on here, how busy have places been? That is my worry, pubs being rammed and then a group of guys trying to find somewhere to drink which means a lot of walking around and waiting in queues.

The first pub is meant to be the Tay Bridge Bar and everyone is arriving in twos and threes depending on when people arrive in Dundee. So it might start fairly smoothly but as soon as we try to move I worry it will get more complicated.

It is all going to be very weird.

I've not been out in Hamilton town centre in a long while- where's Manhattan? Did it used to go by another name?
Right at the bottom of Quarry Street just up from Hemmingway's (otherwise known as hell) and across the road from Bar 147 (also otherwise known as hell). I've no idea if it used to be called something else.

Right at the bottom of Quarry Street just up from Hemmingway's (otherwise known as hell) and across the road from Bar 147 (also otherwise known as hell). I've no idea if it used to be called something else.

Think it was chequers(?) before Manhattan if that helps

31 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I'm heading out tonight for the first time and I really don't know what to expect. It is meant to be a fairly large group, which I think will make it all very difficult. Personally I would have postponed something like a big night out for a while yet.

The Dundee folk that have posted on here, how busy have places been? That is my worry, pubs being rammed and then a group of guys trying to find somewhere to drink which means a lot of walking around and waiting in queues.

The first pub is meant to be the Tay Bridge Bar and everyone is arriving in twos and threes depending on when people arrive in Dundee. So it might start fairly smoothly but as soon as we try to move I worry it will get more complicated.

It is all going to be very weird.

Depends on the bar, tbh. Perth Rd will most likely have timed slots that might need pre booked or it'll be a case of standing queueing until somebody already in has time up. 

Even when you do get in, there's no guarantee you'll be sat near your pals. 

Going out in a big group is crazy just now, I'd reckon. 

Which is exactly why I am doing the same next week. 

53 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Depends on the bar, tbh. Perth Rd will most likely have timed slots that might need pre booked or it'll be a case of standing queueing until somebody already in has time up. 

Even when you do get in, there's no guarantee you'll be sat near your pals. 

Going out in a big group is crazy just now, I'd reckon. 

Which is exactly why I am doing the same next week. 

Yeah I think the start of the evening will be little pockets of people all sitting at separate tables (which defeats the purpose of a big catch-up night out). Will just wait and see. Going in fairly early so hopefully it will be easy enough to begin with. Later on is the issue...

On 24/07/2020 at 08:44, invergowrie arab said:

Mayfly - utter shite. Nothing to do with lockdown but it seems to have become a bar for fat 50 year olds in RL polos

Do you mean The Hunter S Thompson? I.e. the pub that used to be McGonagall's and Drouthie Neebours.

It's owned by the same guy who runs The George Orwell and it seemed to be an art studenty place pre lockdown. I'm not sure when the middle aged polo geezers turned up.