Bo'ness United FC Lowland League 2020/21

Deanburn Dave

5 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

So did the BU's in the 1940's, as a change strip..  Quite like the retro look for our 75th anniversary.

40's BU pic.jpg

Wonder if you have names on photograph Jambo ?. I know them all but one, back row second from left.

55 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Jamboness, there's a request for information on Sinnet on last years East of Scotland BU thread. You on the case ?

Dealt with Dave.  Well worth a wee read 

Spoiler

Hammer of the wee rose

2 hours ago, Standalone said:

Wonder if you have names on photograph Jambo ?. I know them all but one, back row second from left.

It all hinges on what game the photo was taken at.  It looks like the old Easter Road terracing in the background, so I think it is in the 52/3 season.  Problem is, we played two finals there that season.  The St Michaels Cup line up was Ronald, Mitchell, McKeeman, Hogg, McBlain, Paterson, McKinnon, Wood, Grieve, Simpson, Ormond.

The Thornton Shield line-up I have is incomplete, with only Ronald, Mitchell, Castle, McBlain, Grieve definite starters

The only two I definitely recognise are 'Tiger' Mitchell & Gibby Ormond

Although he had just a short one season stint at Newtown prior to retiring, very sad news today hearing that former BU, Rangers, Hearts and Falkirk player (plus a couple of other clubs)  David Hagen died today after being struck down by Motor Neurone Disease just a couple of years ago. Only 47.😕

Edited by 8MileBU

Must have been St Michael Cup final.Back row L-R Mckinnon, Wood, McKeeman, Ronald, Paterson, Ormand,

Front row W Gardiner (trainer) Hogg,Grieve, Mitchell, McBlain,Simpson, (W Williamson (trainer)

11 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Although he had just a short one season stint at Newtown prior to retiring, very sad news today hearing that former BU, Rangers, Hearts and Falkirk player (plus a couple of other clubs)  David Hagen died today after being struck down by Motor Neurone Disease just a couple of years ago. Only 47.😕

Horrible to hear of people passing at such a relatively young age.  I remember David from his time at Tynecastle and he was a gentleman.

As you say he only played a handful of games for the BU's but he went out on a high, his final appearance being in a 4-1 win over the wee rose.

RIP

Edited by Jambo'ness

The BU's tweeted recently all the places where their official online presence was "for the avoidance of doubt".

So just to be 100% clear this is not an Official thread and its use and content are not approved by BUFC.

The BUFC media team have enough on their plate without trying to control the mad ramblings that appear on here.

Lol Don't think they had P&B in mind.

The BU's tweeted recently all the places where their official online presence was "for the avoidance of doubt".

So just to be 100% clear this is not an Official thread and its use and content are not approved by BUFC.

The BUFC media team have enough on their plate without trying to control the mad ramblings that appear on here.

8 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

...oops. I regret using the phrase "official thread" now when encouraging you to start one to replace gogsy's. Would anyone seriously have thought that though?

I don't know the story behind the "schism" so won't comment on the rights and wrongs of that, but (and I say this just as a supporter) I really wish "the other site" would make it clear on the website or Twitter bio etc that it's unofficial. Especially as it's in a position to masquerade as being official.

Said site tweeted just a few days ago using the phrase "all lives matter". Okay, it was on the subject of coronavirus, but still - at best that's an incredibly careless use of language at the moment. It risks damaging the reputation of the club.

If folk want to run fan sites or social media, great - indeed, it's to be welcomed - but in the best interests of the club please make it clear that's what you are.

51 minutes ago, Hip Priest said:

I don't know the story behind the "schism" so won't comment on the rights and wrongs of that, but (and I say this just as a supporter) I really wish "the other site" would make it clear on the website or Twitter bio etc that it's unofficial. Especially as it's in a position to masquerade as being official.

Said site tweeted just a few days ago using the phrase "all lives matter". Okay, it was on the subject of coronavirus, but still - at best that's an incredibly careless use of language at the moment. It risks damaging the reputation of the club.

If folk want to run fan sites or social media, great - indeed, it's to be welcomed - but in the best interests of the club please make it clear that's what you are.

I know myself and Jambo’ness have both said similar things, feel the same way about it and have expressed this to the owner of the unofficial website and unofficial Twitter account. I was far-far more tactful than Jambo’ness (😄) but despite my exemplary manners and politeness, I was met with a similar petulant “IDGAF I’ll do what I want!” type of response. 

I am also just a supporter but it annoys me seeing the unofficial account with more followers than the official one just because it’s been going longer and I think most it’s followers don’t realise. It also pisses me off that he’s frequently tweeting totally irrelevant stuff and I agree that tweets which appear to be going down a racial/political route i.e. the All Lives Matter tweet could be potentially misconstrued or damaging.

Edited by 8MileBU