Bo'ness United FC Lowland League 2020/21

Deanburn Dave

5 minutes ago, BU_Brian said:

another week, another game.

chances of it being on?

BBC reckon - Saturday looks to have sunny spells and patchy cloud with the chance of the odd passing shower. It will continue cold but winds diminish in the afternoon.

But ,,, no stream.... 

With the amount of wet stuff thats fallen over the last day or so I’d say it’s swaying slightly in favour of “postponed” at the moment. However the forecast seems to be clearing up a bit through the night and into tomorrow.

Anyone know if/when a pitch inspection is planned?

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

With the amount of wet stuff thats fallen over the last day or so I’d say it’s swaying slightly in favour of “postponed” at the moment. However the forecast seems to be clearing up a bit through the night and into tomorrow.

Anyone know if/when a pitch inspection is planned?

Game off

Thanks Guys.

better nice and early, than waiting half way through the morning, getting your hopes up.

crazy thing is, we have all played in much worse weather conditions... always great when you could blame a miss timed tackle on the weather. lol,

the positive has to be: time - that allows the injury list, hopefully, to get smaller.

have a great weekend gents,

11 hours ago, BU_Brian said:

Thanks Guys.

better nice and early, than waiting half way through the morning, getting your hopes up.

crazy thing is, we have all played in much worse weather conditions... always great when you could blame a miss timed tackle on the weather. lol,

the positive has to be: time - that allows the injury list, hopefully, to get smaller.

have a great weekend gents,

DIY for you sir?

1 hour ago, boheesian said:

DIY for you sir?

Hahahaha. am I THAT predictable, hahaha.

yeah, Bo. Going to put the Expoxy resin down on the toilet floor - well, start it. 3 coats, 20 hours apart. probably do it over 2 weekends.

I have watched so much Youtube for this part of the project. feel like I have done an apprenticeship on it. lol.

DEPENDING on the outcome, may post a couple of pics. 🙂

This is not Lowland League business but I hope someone might be able to help me identify two former Bo’ness United players in a photograph and give me any football career information on one of them.

This photograph was taken in May 1968 and includes Benny McGuire and Frank Heenan who were both with Bo’ness at the time. The third player is Eric Black who had just been released from Airdrieonians.  He is the father of Eric Black (Aberdeen, Metz & Scotland) who then had a long career in coaching.  I think from left to right they are Frank Heenan, Benny McGuire and Eric Black.  Can anyone help  please with a positive identification.

I do not know much about Frank Heenan’s career other than he had a spell at Newtown Park.  Can anyone help with details of other clubs he played for.

Thank you.

Mystery photograph 1968.JPG

5 minutes ago, bluedragon said:

This is not Lowland League business but I hope someone might be able to help me identify two former Bo’ness United players in a photograph and give me any football career information on one of them.

This photograph was taken in May 1968 and includes Benny McGuire and Frank Heenan who were both with Bo’ness at the time. The third player is Eric Black who had just been released from Airdrieonians.  He is the father of Eric Black (Aberdeen, Metz & Scotland) who then had a long career in coaching.  I think from left to right they are Frank Heenan, Benny McGuire and Eric Black.  Can anyone help  please with a positive identification.

I do not know much about Frank Heenan’s career other than he had a spell at Newtown Park.  Can anyone help with details of other clubs he played for.

Thank you.

This guy👇 might be able to help you...

On 25/11/2020 at 20:24, Jambo'ness said:

... although it’s bloody annoying that he appears to be the only poster on this forum you can’t @ because of a bloody apostrophe!

NINE MONTHS???

Goodness me Dave, It didn't feel that long until I sat down and thought about it.

9 months. that is mental ... and so very sad.

The rugby fans - or as the Government will probably see them - the gentlemen fans of the many sporting communities in Britain .., are being allowed in, albeit restricted.

This is probably because rugby fans are well educated, can take instructions and are trusted to behave. That is slap in the face of football fans. 

Reading between the lines .. this is exactly what they are saying.

which is utter codswallop.

why not allow a really small percentage into our games. give it a few weeks, see how it goes, then up the percentages .. or, as they would have us believe, shut us out again because we are so untrustworthy and reckless ... and we have just proved it.

They continually ask us about our physical and mental wellbeing.it is now a known factor. Can they not understand... our mental release, after a hard week's work, is to watch our team. support them, scream and shout, laugh.. and yeah, the occasional tears, which invariably lead to us looking forward to the next week's game with even more fervour.

I genuinely believe they think Football it is just our little hobby, somewhere we pop along to to while the Saturday afternoons away. 

They, the Government, do not realise how important this crazy game is to us. from 7 - 70... It is our passion, it is our whole weekend. it is part of our life, our culture, our very being.

Just let a few of us in.. please? I'll take my turn in the queue. I will wait my 2 or 3 weeks to get into the game. just let some of us in, before we all go freakin' mad.

sorry guys, got a wee bit carried away.

take care.

6 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

@Standalone is also a prime suspect for questions like this.

Sorry I don't know anything of F Heenan but know the names on the photograph below. L-R Back row C Snedden (Provost) J Bernard, R Gray, J Russell (Trainer) R Cowan, H Simpson,

Front row B Watson, J Snedden, B McGuire, J McMeichan, A McGuiness, T McCandless.   I think the cup is the old Lanark and Lothian cup also known as the Citizen Cup.

17 hours ago, 3 Valuable Points said:

D15B8291-A46C-43FD-A816-B69412002B97.thumb.jpeg.83c5ae4e0b976632f228b522e12c7c5f.jpeg

4 hours ago, BU_Brian said:

NINE MONTHS???

Goodness me Dave, It didn't feel that long until I sat down and thought about it.

9 months. that is mental ... and so very sad.

The rugby fans - or as the Government will probably see them - the gentlemen fans of the many sporting communities in Britain .., are being allowed in, albeit restricted.

This is probably because rugby fans are well educated, can take instructions and are trusted to behave. That is slap in the face of football fans. 

Reading between the lines .. this is exactly what they are saying.

which is utter codswallop.

why not allow a really small percentage into our games. give it a few weeks, see how it goes, then up the percentages .. or, as they would have us believe, shut us out again because we are so untrustworthy and reckless ... and we have just proved it.

They continually ask us about our physical and mental wellbeing.it is now a known factor. Can they not understand... our mental release, after a hard week's work, is to watch our team. support them, scream and shout, laugh.. and yeah, the occasional tears, which invariably lead to us looking forward to the next week's game with even more fervour.

I genuinely believe they think Football it is just our little hobby, somewhere we pop along to to while the Saturday afternoons away. 

They, the Government, do not realise how important this crazy game is to us. from 7 - 70... It is our passion, it is our whole weekend. it is part of our life, our culture, our very being.

Just let a few of us in.. please? I'll take my turn in the queue. I will wait my 2 or 3 weeks to get into the game. just let some of us in, before we all go freakin' mad.

sorry guys, got a wee bit carried away.

take care.

The bold underlined bit is utter nonsense. Rugby fans are utter morons. They just don’t have the offensive songs.

23 hours ago, bluedragon said:

Thank you.

Frank came on trial in November 1966 from Gowanhill United.  His first appearance as a trialist was on 23/11/66, in a 3-2 league defeat at Sauchie.  He was signed shortly afterwards and appeared in a handful of games, as a right-winger, to the end of a most disappointing season for the BU's.

He appeared  more often the following season but was in direct competition for a place with John Bernard, who had 3 spells with the BU's in the 60's and 70's and earned himself transfers to Arbroath & East Fife.  Frank scored eleven goals in 67/8, including one mad spell of four games in a row where he scored twice in each, against West Calder, Bonnybridge, Bathgate & Pumpherston.

He may have played in the Lanark & Lothian Cup final win against Shotts Bon Accord, on 10/06/68 but I do not have full team lines.

He was handed a free transfer at the close of the season and I have no info as to his onward movements.