Bo'ness United FC Lowland League 2020/21

Deanburn Dave

50 minutes ago, boheesian said:

Sorry got excited by the scoreline

gonna give you that one Bo. great excuse.🙂

good to see the bodies starting to come back in and creating a much stronger squad.

looks like the new signings, and the trialists even, are all buying into Max's high energy, never stop and fight for everything philosophy.

3 hours ago, bigwullieac said:

At 42 years of age, while not a signed Bo'ness player, does that make Craig Meikle the oldest player to have scored for Bo'ness? One for @Jambo'ness to ponder

Certainly looks like it.  Just shades out Stuart Hunter by a few days 😄

3 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Don't expect a reply anytime soon Willie as Jamboness I suspect is up Arthur's seat !!

Didn't even need binoculars to see that first goal was over the line........and it's amazing how far Max's voice carries.

Welcome return of the wounded.  We have 18 signed players but feel we still need a couple more on the defensive side just to bolster the squad.

It’s been a busy 8 days for the players but they’ve battled their way to 3 wins with a depleted squad.- today’s squad gave him choices though. Whatever Max’s philosophy is he certainly gets them playing with a purpose that gets results.

15 minutes ago, dolly said:

Another good result today. Our early five or six fixtures are all winnable and if we can keep putting points on the board before we play the so called big boys then who knows how far we can go this season

Survival Dolly, that will do for me.

As soon as I know that we are numerically safe and will be playing in the Lowland League for the following season, then I will shout to the heavens about how we may well be able to compete with the top 6-8, but until that time ... I feel we should hold our cards close to our chests.

Possibly a little defeatist in my approach, but .... offer me 10th place right now, for the season end, and I would bite your hand off.

I do admire your positivity, however; and I hope it continues for a long, for a very long, time. 

and,

I do so hope you are correct.. oh do I hope so. 🙂

Clubs like Dalbeattie Star, Vale of Leithen and Edinburgh United will struggle big time to even get to 20 points given the competitive imbalance across the league. Having 9 after 3 games with a makeshift team means relegation shouldn't be on anyone's radar right now. The last two games went the way they needed to for that to be put to rest as a concern. Agree that being a title contender is another matter entirely though given the budgets EK, the Shire and Kelty appear to have thanks to having sugar daddies.

3 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Brian,
At the end of the season the BU's are going to be closer to the top of the Lowland League than to the bottom.

There is absolutely no danger of us getting relegated. Relax.

I hear what you are saying Dave, and .. I do agree with you entirely.

I just don't like to shout toooo loud about it ...toooo early into the campaign.

and, we do need to be lucky also: injuries, officials, working times of the players.

I will however, feel so much better once those minimum points have been reached.

Aaaaaaaaahhhh! 🙂

1 hour ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Reckon we need to see a centrehalf arrive. With Hunter and Snowdon missing yesterday we relied on a 42 year old trialist. It's the one area of the team where we are a bit short of cover .

Would imagine Snowdon will be back for this week. Think he heads down to Essex to see his family. Maybe have to isolate for two weeks😉

led to believe that McFarlane is a centre back.

Comrie could be back this Saturday; Our options are beginning to increase.

The fighting spirit of the team is truly incredible .. I think the management team have an awful lot to do with this. Respect.

14 hours ago, BU_Brian said:

led to believe that McFarlane is a centre back.

Comrie could be back this Saturday; Our options are beginning to increase.

The fighting spirit of the team is truly incredible .. I think the management team have an awful lot to do with this. Respect.

Spirit is something that Max has instilled into this side, with the help of an experienced squad who clearly buy into his philosophy.

On 18/10/2020 at 12:29, gogsy said:

I suppose it's fortunate that nobody was judging where Bo'ness was going to finish in the league purely on the first forty five minutes last week.

Gogsy, they fought hard in that match albeit they rode their luck a wee bit but the character of the team is apparent and anyone who judges a team over 45 minutes is not of sound body and mind.

22 minutes ago, gogsy said:

In my previous post I was having a dig at the person that was actually judging where Bo'ness was going to finish in the league purely on the first forty five minutes last week. 😀

You got a thin skin. Merely adding to the posts.

When we look at the amount of money that Kelty and EK have spent , we should expect to see them play a silky style of football but nobody in this league will look forward to games against Bo’ness with our in your face and will to win attitude.

A big part of the BU's success is down to them working hard for 95+ minutes every game and being well organised defensively.      

Our most important player in that regard -  Michael Gemmell.       When I call him a spoiler, time waster and master of the dark art of fouling I mean those comments as a huge compliment.