Czech Republic v Scotland

1 minute ago, Cowshed Chris said:
3 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:
Our of curiosity, other than Dykes and tonights result, can anyone take any positives from the past two games?
Marshall cant be blamed for anything, but its no surprise that he is a very good goalkeeper.
Ive honestly got nothing. Poor shape, poor selections, poor performances and almost nothing to get excited about.
I desperately want Clarke to do well, but he isnt looking great so far.

We won't see McTominay at centre half again. That has to be a positive

See. We’d think that. But Clarke stuck through 180 minutes of that calamity and held his nerve...

3 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

That is kind of my point. I reckon countries like The Czech Republic could put 5 or 6 squads together who would be technically competent. We are relying on journeymen like Cooper and Palmer as 1st choices.

That’s just nonsense though. The team we played this evening would’ve been torn to bits by anyone even a tiny bit better than Scotland.

9 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Don’t understand how excellent to decent English based players can look woeful when playing for Scotland. Robertson, Fleck, Tierney, McTominay, MacLean et all. Can they really not be fcked playing for the national team?

The English league isn't as great as most folk think? 

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

What I've just watched just doesn't make sense. A 4 at the back manager going for a back 3, using a talented central midfielder of good repute in there even tho he was obviously struggling. Add to that a midfield that barely functioned and was porous to the Czech C team. Why would you allow that shitshow to run for 180 mins without majorly tweaking it? Even the subs tonight were like for like.

Only positives were Dykes for looking pretty useful and Christie for his penalty baws.

We're seriously drifting. Not a chance we will get thru the playoffs with this approach.

It was crazy to play McTominay in there after Friday. Lost the goal he almost lost twice against Israel.

So crazy in fact that the BBC just assumed it was back to a back 4 with him in midfield.

2 minutes ago, Cowshed Chris said:
4 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:
Our of curiosity, other than Dykes and tonights result, can anyone take any positives from the past two games?
Marshall cant be blamed for anything, but its no surprise that he is a very good goalkeeper.
Ive honestly got nothing. Poor shape, poor selections, poor performances and almost nothing to get excited about.
I desperately want Clarke to do well, but he isnt looking great so far.

People said that after the Israel game...

2 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

I hope Robertson has not got to give a urine sample...he must be on drugs judging by that interview.

I did not expect him to be completely honest and say, yeah we have been sh!te over the two games and really should be sitting on zero points but even so...

I said the same to my friend. He’s actually trying to say we defended well and been more solid at the back. Clearly hallucinating.

That was the Czech’s 3rd XI (or thereabouts) and we stumbled past them like a drunk running for the last bus home.

A win’s a win but....

( Hopefully the authors of the yer da type tweets about us humping a team of Czech jobbers before kick off feel suitably embarrassed now. Embarrassing England-style arrogance)

Maybe Clarke doesn't realise that the lineup he hands over to Uefa before kick off doesn't commit him to keeping the same formation for the whole game? Or is he a fitba purist who believes that the number 2 shirt has to be in defence? That formation should have been changed after 15 fkin minutes. Utterly baffling.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

This would maybe make sense if we only played players from the Scottish leagues.

Oh I see, you're and idiot.

Pretty much this - outside of Slavia, Sparta and Viktoria Plzeň the Czech top tier is remarkably similar in quality to that of the Scottish Premiership. What we saw tonight, loosely, was a team which has trained together for a decent amount of time and often plays at a higher level; against a team made up of Killie and St Johnstone players with the occasional Aberdeen or Hibs player thrown in. Who have never played alongside each other before.

Guest DAVIDB69

Would rather not seem him at all all again, but he will be a guaranteed pick because of who he sometimes plays for.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Fair play to Robertson spinning that. Do Scotland have Malcolm Tucker in that dressing room?

#topoftheleague

The idea that playing an inferior team is a no win situation is an invention of failing teams. If we turned up and won by a couple of goals, stopped them making decent chances there would be no complaints. A professional performance.

Instead we went behind early, looked a shmbles at the back, had nothing up front, let them hammer shots at our goal and hit the post twice. Hanging on for the last half hour.

Reading the comments from the last two games, is the penny starting to drop that our 'quality midfield' is in fact a bunch of bang average midfielders who contribute next to nothing? Most of them can float about playing a few nice passes but they do not impact a game and go missing far too often.

Our squad is dreadful, we have two quality left backs, poor centre backs and right backs, an average midfield group, and one striker who is very limited.

There will always be issues with selection and tactics etc so the manager can't just be excused. But as a group of players it's the worst we've ever had and has been for a few years now. Even wee Berti got us a draw with Germany and a win against Holland (admittedly followed by a horsing!), no chance this group could get results like that.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 minute ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Would rather not seem him at all all again, but he will be a guaranteed pick because of who he sometimes plays for.

I really like him as a player.

Good as breaking up play (fouling when needed) and playing the ball forward at all opportunities. Scored the occasional goal.

But he isnt a centre back.

Even Fletcher was giving it ‘once we get an early goal or two we should settle down’.

On what planet would boys playing in the Czech Premiership be on the level of San Marino or Andorra? They were always going to be technically better than the Scotland players and at least as organised.

Just now, Diamonds are Forever said:

Reading the comments from the last two games, is the penny starting to drop that our 'quality midfield' is in fact a bunch of bang average midfielders who contribute next to nothing? Most of them can float about playing a few nice passes but they do not impact a game and go missing far too often.

Our squad is dreadful, we have two quality left backs, poor centre backs and right backs, an average midfield group, and one striker who is very limited.

There will always be issues with selection and tactics etc so the manager can't just be excused. But as a group of players it's the worst we've ever had and has been for a few years now.

No. I don’t buy that for a second. If you can qualify with Kilmarnock players playing for Northern Ireland, you can do it with Arsenal, Man Utd, and Arsenal players for Scotland.

Our problem is mentality and tactical setup.

We beat France with Stephen Pearson and Gary Teale ffs.