Czech Republic v Scotland

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

McTominay is 23 and 6 ft 4. How much more are you expecting him to "fill out"?

He should be the first (and perhaps only) name in that defensive midfield role. We don't need two folk sitting in front of the defence, we need players in forward areas. He's never a centre half in a million years and a back 5 doesn't work for us. If these two games haven't confirmed that for Steve Clarke then I'm afraid he won't last long in this job.

Aye, it's utterly ludicrous da' stuff about McTominay's physical attributes. The boy could probably compete with a horse over marathon distances and run through any of us flabby messes like a fucking steam train. If he's phiscally strong enough to play almsot 30 games for Manchester Utd last season, he's fine for Scotland.

Edited by Gordon EF

I mean have you stood next to someone like Rio Ferdinand?  He's a fucking monster, and he's yesterday's man, today's CB's are even more severe.  You don't want to f**k around with someone like Harry Maguire, and there isn't a footballer on the planet who's going to be bullying him.

In an absolutely stunning twist of fate, I actually have stood next to Rio Ferdinand. Hes not a monster at all. I took a pic of him and my mate. My mate who I consider to be maybe slightly above average size/build was bigger than him and I can remember thinking at the time I thought he would be massive based on tv. Most "big" footballers only look big in context though. They are carrying f**k all extra weight and are built athletic as f**k. He probably is strong as a an ox but to see him in the flesh he didnt look like a big guy at all.

Also, Christopher Jullien does a lot of damage to the "no one will bully a big CH" arguement.

You know who could really make a difference for us?  Ryan Gauld.  Not even joking.  At least we'd have someone who wants to put his foot on the ball, keep possession, and isn't technically inferior to the opposition.  He could transform us. 

I like Turnbull too, I think he's much better than McLean and would like to see us be a bit braver with the type of midfielder we pick.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
51 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
I mean have you stood next to someone like Rio Ferdinand?  He's a fucking monster, and he's yesterday's man, today's CB's are even more severe.  You don't want to f**k around with someone like Harry Maguire, and there isn't a footballer on the planet who's going to be bullying him.

In an absolutely stunning twist of fate, I actually have stood next to Rio Ferdinand. Hes not a monster at all. I took a pic of him and my mate. My mate who I consider to be maybe slightly above average size/build was bigger than him and I can remember thinking at the time I thought he would be massive based on tv. Most "big" footballers only look big in context though. They are carrying f**k all extra weight and are built athletic as f**k. He probably is strong as a an ox but to see him in the flesh he didnt look like a big guy at all.

He's a fucking monster and you must be giants.

I have always found footballers to be bigger than you think actually, cause the average height of a footballer is bigger than a regular person so even the wee ones are bigger than you think. I've met Milner and Naismith and been surprised that both were much bigger than you'd expect.

Ferdinand is 6-2 btw, so your mate must be tall.

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I have always found footballers to be bigger than you think actually, cause the average height of a footballer is bigger than a regular person so even the wee ones are bigger than you think. I've met Milner and Naismith and been surprised that both were much bigger than you'd expect.

Ferdinand is 6-2 btw, so your mate must be tall

In fairness it will come as no surprise to anyone on here that most of my mates are taller than me.... I suppose then maybe most of them would pass as bigger than average. I think its more the build that gets me. I genuinely did think Ferdinand looked a tank on tv but hes really really slim. Quite broad shouldered but definitely wouldnt looking him and go look at the size of that lad. Obviously the modern footballer build is slim and athletic though. 

Theres someone else I seen in the flesh who surprised me but f**k me if I can remember who it was.... I might be back later for this. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In fairness it will come as no surprise to anyone on here that most of my mates are taller than me.... I suppose then maybe most of them would pass as bigger than average. I think its more the build that gets me. I genuinely did think Ferdinand looked a tank on tv but hes really really slim. Quite broad shouldered but definitely wouldnt looking him and go look at the size of that lad. Obviously the modern footballer build is slim and athletic though. 

Theres someone else I seen in the flesh who surprised me but f**k me if I can remember who it was.... I might be back later for this. 

Mrs Shandon?

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Ferdinand maybe a bad example, he's rangy and lanky, long arms and legs and was quick. I bet if you met the guy who partnered him Vidic he'd be the type that could run through a brick wall.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I actually had the misfortune to meet the entire Sunderland u21 or u23 squad.  They were c***s.  But it was hot and they mostly had their tops off cause they were c***s and they were all absolutely ripped.

I feel I should explain. They were staying at a hotel it was summer and they must have been on a walk or something, as they came back in they all had their tops off cause that's what c***s do.

Like most I would've been happy with 4 points at this point last week but after two underwhelming performances I am beginning to lose the will to live watching us. Played some nice stuff under Strachan but lacked the defensive organisation needed to qualify, McLeish was a shambles and I was really happy when CLarke got the job based on him getting us organised and sticking to a system, plan and style. Maybe put it down to having no fans / covid and the players all being at different stages of fitness but we look a mile away from being able to compete with the likes of a Norway. 

The 3 at the back experiment and trying to play our best Central Midfielder in the back 3 is utterly baffling, Clarke now has to earn his money and look back at these two games and correct the wrongs. 3 games in a week in a months time so he has to get it right and stop faffing about. 

I actually had the misfortune to meet the entire Sunderland u21 or u23 squad.  They were c***s.  But it was hot and they mostly had their tops off cause they were c***s and they were all absolutely ripped.
I feel I should explain. They were staying at a hotel it was summer and they must have been on a walk or something, as they came back in they all had their tops off cause that's what c***s do.
Your posts never fail to amaze/amuse/bemuse me.

6 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Ferdinand is 6-2 btw, so your mate must be tall.

I remember seeing Jimmy Smith (Dons player late 60s) in his civvies and he seemed huge. And he really wasn't that tall.

He was maybe a level or two down from Rio Ferdinand, but I always thought Big Jim Lister looked... well, quite big on the pitch, but when he was out injured (according to entirely believable rumour after eating a dodgy fish supper and being so violently ill afterwards he gave himself a hernia) you'd see him at the games in a casual jacket and jeans and he looked much smaller. 

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I remember seeing Jimmy Smith (Dons player late 60s) in his civvies and he seemed huge. And he really wasn't that tall.

Aye they are amongst big players on TV so even the ones that look wee aren't actually that wee in real life. I mean Naismith looks tiny he must be 5-10. 

Oh also met Tevez briefly. Holy f**k.  5-10 is but built like an absolute gorilla, he's about four feet wide, complete tank.  Looks mean as f**k too, like scary and angry.

Even his neck was like Mike Tyson's he is genuinely a bona fide monster. He was on his own with not one but two absolutely smokin hot 24 year olds and travelling in a helicopter. Absolute lad like.

1 minute ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

He was maybe a level or two down from Rio Ferdinand, but I always thought Big Jim Lister looked... well, quite big on the pitch, but when he was out injured (according to entirely believable rumour after eating a dodgy fish supper and being so violently ill afterwards he gave himself a hernia) you'd see him at the games in a casual jacket and jeans and he looked much smaller. 

Maybe he was sitting down?

2 hours ago, Morton Supporter said:

If these teams want to pass the ball ad nauseous - let them. I saw Spain bore the world to death doing that in 2010. I’m sure they’d have beaten us too, but I’d rather try to barge, elbow, kick and otherwise harras them in doing so than this cowardly brand we - and our club teams in Europe - have convinced ourselves needs to be played in order to be worthy of competing.

I think there might have been more to Spain winning three major tournaments on the bounce than just cowardice.  They played with a level of technique and tactical awareness that nobody else in the world could match for half a decade - if Scotland were to decide to go for kick-n-rush it wouldn't be because we're just too entertaining and brave to play like the Spain team of that period.  That kind of football is brilliant if you can carry it off.  We can't, but it's not like 90s Airdrie is the only other option there is.

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Now I know you’re at it.

I you really saying that time has made some of us bigger and stronger, but that this (extremely quick) evolution is based only on whether someone plays upfront or in defence?

Not sure you’d get that past a biologist.

Not sure whether this is the maddest thing I’ve read on here, or whether it’s the other poster claiming Spain of 2010 were brilliant to watch.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Also, Christopher Jullien does a lot of damage to the "no one will bully a big CH" arguement.

It all depends on your perspective. Generally I think people seem to imagine that people they only see on TV are taller than they actually are. Footballers are obviously, generally, taller than the average person in part because defenders and keepers are almost all taller than average and most by a good bit.

East Fife did a players vs fans thing a good few years ago and generally, I was a little bit surprised that the players weren't as big as I thought they'd be (obviously this isn't EPL / international level)... with the expection of John Ovenstone. He was a fucking monster. And was bringing the ball down and sparying it about like Franz Beckenbauer when he was up against chumps from the stand.

Edited by Gordon EF