Czech Republic v Scotland

I don't think anyone would call Austria Eastern Europen despite sitting immediately below the Czech Republic; and Prague and Berlin are separated by about one degree of longitude. Things might be slightly difficult in the political sense but a lot of Czechs get upset at being referred to as East Europeans and will generally correct anyone who says otherwise. 

Central Europe is a concept invented by Austrians to justify their overlordship of the Balkans

^^^ Practicing my conversation starters for when I take a holiday to Vienna and Prague.

14 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Armstrong has been a baller in the past. 

People were calling for Fleck to be called up for a few seasons now.

The Mayor has been a major part of Norwich's success.

Yet for Scotland they all become plodding, dense, fuckwits who can't drive forward, get into a dangerous central area, pick a forward pass and can't close down their counterparts quickly enough!? What the actual f**k man. 

When Clark took over I thought he'd at least get the team closing down and attacking with a higher sense of urgency, but we've fallen back into the pedestrian shit we've been treated to for years.

We badly miss a defensive midfielder that can do the “ugly” side of the game, a tackler, someone aggressive, a physical presence. Someone to knit the midfield together, we had one of those, I bet the performance from the rest of our midfield would rise substantially. 

Edited by Rscot

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

We had one of those in Scott Brown. Didn't seem to make much of a difference most of the time. 

We didn’t have as good technical players around Brown at the time. Now we have decent technical players and no physicality, aggression

Honestly can’t get my head round how bad we were last night despite the win, we had a team full of players who play at the top level of European football including a champions league winner and they had a 3rd string team who barely have a cap amongst them. Does Clarke coach the footballing ability out of them? Firstly McTominay is not a bloody defender and these two games have proved it. Second our midfield is meant to be our strongest area so why can’t we ever seem to control the game against supposedly inferior teams? Finally and this is my biggest annoyance with our team why do none of our players ever seem to try and take their man on? The second they get near an opponent they turn and play the ball back, yes retaining position is important but you can’t score goals if you’re going backwards.

Overall these two games have be an utter embarrassment, we should be sitting on 6 points with a comfortable goal difference.

11 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Honestly can’t get my head round how bad we were last night despite the win, we had a team full of players who play at the top level of European football including a champions league winner and they had a 3rd string team who barely have a cap amongst them. Does Clarke coach the footballing ability out of them? Firstly McTominay is not a bloody defender and these two games have proved it. Second our midfield is meant to be our strongest area so why can’t we ever seem to control the game against supposedly inferior teams? Finally and this is my biggest annoyance with our team why do none of our players ever seem to try and take their man on? The second they get near an opponent they turn and play the ball back, yes retaining position is important but you can’t score goals if you’re going backwards.

Overall these two games have be an utter embarrassment, we should be sitting on 6 points with a comfortable goal difference.

The main reason we can’t control the game in midfield is a lack of athleticism, physicality, aggression, drive in there. That’s my opinion, we are lightweight in the middle of the park. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, Rscot said:
The main reason we can’t control the game in midfield is a lack of athleticism, physicality, aggression, drive in there. That’s my opinion, we are lightweight in the middle of the park. 

McTominay is yer remedy to that surely?

Yes when he has filled out, but he’s still young. He could do the job, maybe McRorie at Aberdeen too. Mctominey is a box to box midfielder, but he does, or will have the attributes to do the job in a few years once he is physically stronger. But it will mean restricting his game in the role and reducing what he can offer Scotland

a lot of Czechs get upset at being referred to as East Europeans and will generally correct anyone who says otherwise. 

It's purely semantics so to get upset about it shows some real insecurity. The UN statistics include Lithuania as Northern Europe but they don't get upset if you call them Eastern.

27 minutes ago, Rscot said:

We badly miss a defensive midfielder that can do the “ugly” side of the game, a tackler, someone aggressive, a physical presence. Someone to knit the midfield together, we had one of those, I bet the performance from the rest of our midfield would rise substantially. 

What about Ryan Jack?

Spoiler

Hip-Hop – UPROXX | Laugh, Funny gif, Hilarious

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What about Ryan Jack?

Reveal hidden contents

Hip-Hop – UPROXX | Laugh, Funny gif, Hilarious

Not a ball winning tackler, doesn’t have the aggression, the attitude, mindset for the role. 

Edited by Rscot

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

We have all different kinds of midfielders capable of all different kinds of roles.

Problem is we have a manager who is making their job too difficult.

If you look at our midfield we don’t have much variety, balance. there isn’t that much difference between most of them. They are all technical, ball playing midfielders. None of them are ball winners, tacklers.

Edited by Rscot

2 minutes ago, Rscot said:

If you look at our midfield we don’t have there isn’t that much difference between most of them. They are all technical, ball playing midfielders. None of them are ball winners, tacklers.

Strongly disagree with that. McTominay and Jack are both capable of playing that role at club level. Not that it's a role that carries much value at international level anyway.

Edited by G51

Just now, G51 said:

Strongly disagree with that. McTominay and Jack are both capable of playing that role at club level. Not that it's a role that carries much value at international level anyway.

Mctominey is a natural box to box midfielder, he could play the role but isn’t physically strong enough, developed enough yet, in my opinion. Jack is a midfielder who picks thr ball up deep from the defence and distributes it, he’s not a tackler, ball winner. He’s not got the mindset of a defensive midfielder 

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's purely semantics so to get upset about it shows some real insecurity. The UN statistics include Lithuania as Northern Europe but they don't get upset if you call them Eastern.

There is an entirely different context in relation to Central Europe/Visegrád states, particularly in the crafting of national identities post-89. Those who argue semantics tend to be Western Europeans who have little issue with lumping all CEE states together for spurious reasons.