Czech Republic v Scotland

The line between Central and Eastern Europe is along the borders between Poland & Belarus/Ukraine, Ukraine & Slovakia/Hungary, Romania & Hungary/Serbia.

Fwiw I would give pass marks from last night to McKenna, Cooper, Marshall, Palmer (barely) & Dykes.

Problem with Palmer was for every good thing he did going forward, he was sleeping, too weak, or out of position defensively twice. Still the best right back we have.

10 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

The only positive was the covid test results in the Czech first team and reserves, if it was their first chocie team we would have got bawhumped.

Other positives - only going by reports because I didn’t watch it - were David Marshall, Ryan Christie scoring his second penalty in quick succession, and Lyndon Dykes getting off the mark. According to some on here Liam Palmer has a good game too.

Not watching is the way forward. I listened to a bit on radio but it didn’t sound like we were very good. I’ll force myself to watch the play-off with Israel in October.

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Other positives - only going by reports because I didn’t watch it - were David Marshall, Ryan Christie scoring his second penalty in quick succession, and Lyndon Dykes getting off the mark. According to some on here Liam Palmer has a good game too.

Not watching is the way forward. I listened to a bit on radio but it didn’t sound like we were very good. I’ll force myself to watch the play-off with Israel in October.

Marshall was our MOTM, Christie flatters to decieve, Dykes took his goal well and also done good work when defending, Palmer had a 15 min spell when he looked good going forward. Armstrong, Fleck and McLean done nothing of note in midfield and McTominey was lost at centre back and a penalty waiting to happen.  The Czech reserves were by far the better team.

3 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Never seen the post match interviews but seen a few folk on here who think were now going to go back to a back 4.

And have mctominay playing in midfield.

Is this just wishful thinking or did clark actually say or allude to this?

Andy Robertson suggested the manager was implementing a new system and they were getting used to it so I reckon it's here to stay.

Never seen the post match interviews but seen a few folk on here who think were now going to go back to a back 4.
And have mctominay playing in midfield.
Is this just wishful thinking or did clark actually say or allude to this?
He said nothing meaningful. No suggestions of a change to formation. The video is about halfway down this page.

https://www.skysports.com/football/czech-rep-vs-scotland/report/423924

31 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Marshall was our MOTM, Christie flatters to decieve, Dykes took his goal well and also done good work when defending, Palmer had a 15 min spell when he looked good going forward. Armstrong, Fleck and McLean done nothing of note in midfield and McTominey was lost at centre back and a penalty waiting to happen.  The Czech reserves were by far the better team.

The Czech reserves reserves, who had 19 shots to our 6 and 8 corners to our 0

Still, miracles greatly received

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Andy Robertson suggested the manager was implementing a new system and they were getting used to it so I reckon it's here to stay.

Just now, charger29 said:

He said nothing meaningful. No suggestions of a change to formation. The video is about halfway down this page.

This is disappointing, I just can't get my head round his thinking.

Ok were missing fraser and that natural width he provides, so he goes with wingbacks. But it didn't work at all vs israel. It was if possible worse last night. Why would he be sticking with that.

We were going along quite well with the 4231, beating the teams we should be beating. 

I was all for him getting the job, but clark now needs relieved of his position.

Seeing as Clarke seems to absolutely need to shoehorn McTominay into the side, wouldn’t it be good if he pulled Clarke aside and said ‘look boss, I’m not comfortable at centre half, I really don’t think I should be playing there.’

It would force Clarke into playing him in his actual position you would hope.

Just now, TheScarf said:

Seeing as Clarke seems to absolutely need to shoehorn McTominay into the side, wouldn’t it be good if he pulled Clarke aside and said ‘look boss, I’m not comfortable at centre half, I really don’t think I should be playing there.’

It would force Clarke into playing him in his actual position you would hope.

Hed probably put him in midfield and bring mcgregor into the back 3 

Guest DAVIDB69

Being honest I can see Clarke being emptied by March if we don’t get to the euros . dont get anything out of the nations league and start World Cup qualifying badly.

All is highly possible.

16 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

That they were the better team does not surprise me. Our last few managers are all from the difficult to like and uninspiring mould. They all have that pigheaded belief that they are right and everyone else is wrong. Even when performances show they are more wrong than right.

Is it the same people, or at least the same type of people, at the SFA who keep picking the Scotland manager? Every time we are looking for a new manager, news leaks out of all the potential colourful candidates and yet we always come up with a dour Scotsman. Even when the SFA went mental and appointed a foreigner he was a dour wee German.

Best we can hope for is that we get lucky and come across a golden generation of Scottish players, so it’s impossible for the dour Scottish manager of that time not to do well. 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

They must be on the cusp.

I don't think anyone would call Austria Eastern Europen despite sitting immediately below the Czech Republic; and Prague and Berlin are separated by about one degree of longitude. Things might be slightly difficult in the political sense but a lot of Czechs get upset at being referred to as East Europeans and will generally correct anyone who says otherwise. 

36 minutes ago, charger29 said:

To be fair to Clarke, he just answers the questions put to him in a sensible manner. It’ll be interesting to see what team he goes with against Israel.

11 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If we somehow get through against Israel the only way we'll beat Norway is if someone breaks Haaland's legs.

They have more than enough to beat us without Haaland.

But we would need to worry about it because we won't be making the final.

Armstrong has been a baller in the past. 

People were calling for Fleck to be called up for a few seasons now.

The Mayor has been a major part of Norwich's success.

Yet for Scotland they all become plodding, dense, fuckwits who can't drive forward, get into a dangerous central area, pick a forward pass and can't close down their counterparts quickly enough!? What the actual f**k man. 

When Clark took over I thought he'd at least get the team closing down and attacking with a higher sense of urgency, but we've fallen back into the pedestrian shit we've been treated to for years.