Czech Republic v Scotland

Can someone give me the context behind Rangers fans constantly following Clarke around calling him an alcoholic? I know it's obviously because he wound them up so much whilst Killie manager, but where does the alcoholic thing come into it?

Thought Robertson and Clarkes after match interview approach of offering Luke Shanley a square go was pretty ill judged. an entire nation watched two gutless performances against opposition we should have been comfortable against. Looked like a team with no clue or confidence.  Players playing at the top end of the premiership looking bang average against Championship/League one quality. 

4 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Undeniably poor again tonight but the history books will only show a 2-1 win in the Czech Republic so let's be thankful for that.

First the handful of positives - Marshall was superb, Dykes once again very good, Christie looked bright again, Armstrong was decent and McKenna again looked pretty comfortable, twice in a week for the big guy.

In terms of players, really not sure how Kenny McLean lasted 90 minutes out there as he was brutally bad. Palmer was dozy tonight, McTominay isn't a centre half but that's not his fault that everyone wants to shoehorn him in there.

The same faults as Friday in terms of the formation, it stunted any creativity we had going forward and once Clarke did his usual sitting back tactic once we got the lead, the centre of midfield was too light in numbers leading to an onslaught for the defence. Ultimately we are more comfortable playing 4-5-1/4-2-3-1/4-3-3 and I would like to see us revert back to that for the playoffs.

A word for the Czechs who were a decent team and probably would be a good League C outfit if given time and preparation, better than a number of countries we've been beat by (Georgia and Kazakhstan to name two).

Ultimately to play poorly over two games and get four points is a positive but we desperately need to see signs of progress soon under Clarke as it was difficult to take too much positives over the last two matches. However, top of the league and probably a point better off than I thought we would be so I'll take that as my positive viewpoint for tonight.

also agree re: mckenna. that CB position looks a lot more healthy than it did before now

Can someone give me the context behind Rangers fans constantly following Clarke around calling him an alcoholic? I know it's obviously because he wound them up so much whilst Killie manager, but where does the alcoholic thing come into it?

These are the type of "fans" who think child abuse is something to beat their rivals with instead of actually giving a f**k about the victims in it. They are by n large, best ignored.

Eta: I'm not accusing all rangers fans of that.

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You're aware we haven't qualified for over 20 years if we're beating cardboard cut outs who gives a feck.

Your point was the reaction is the same on here win lose or draw, ie we're horseshit

Which I was highlighting and you've agreed with

20 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Strachan failed to get us to Euro 2016 when it was harder to not qualify. He had to go. 

McLeish was a joke of an appointment. Clarke is looking that way too.

Failing to qualify for Euro 2016 was massively disappointing, but I don't agree with that. Georgia away was a f**k-up, but we did well in both games against Germany, took 4 points of Ireland and were very close to doing the same against a very decent Poland team. We weren't brilliant in every game but we were competitive, organised in defence and cohesive in attack. There's a good chance we'd have qualified if Germany hadn't inexplicably dropped all those points to Poland and Ireland and I feel like the campaign is viewed more negatively than it otherwise would have due to the fact that Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales all qualified.

The World Cup campaign started poorly but finishing on 18 points alongside Slovakia and with 2 defeats was a credible result and we were looking decent towards the end.

I thought it was time for a change after that and if the vacancy comes up again soon I'd be looking elsewhere, but even having a manager that can turn us into a half-decent, cohesive team and keep us competitive in qualifying groups until the last game looks very attractive just now.

18 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

If we’d gone to play a team four places above us in the world rankings with a squad made up of St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Motherwell players almost exclusively, we would (rightly) give ourselves no chance of getting anything. 

This ‘technically better,’ chat is a nonsense, every single player in our team tonight plays for a side at a higher level than mid-table Czech.

We should have strolled that, but it’s absolutely no surprise that we didn’t. 

Underpinning this point, everyone over here is gushing at the Czech performance and had written off any chances of a result. It's getting close to the sort of reception that lower league minnows get when they go deep on a cup run and crash out to one of the favourites - "they gave everything" "couldn't fault the boys" yadda yadda. Tonda Růsek, who came on for the last quarter hour, plays for a team that just got promoted the season before, and is the first Zbrojovka player to feature in a national team match since 2008. That's the level being talked about here. They'll remember how bad Scotland were and go over to Hampden with Hložek, Schick and Král  and the rest of the first team and just completely rip us apart based on that. They'll win the group quite comfortably.

image.png.8189ec74a1dac2799e619bc33c5e2f5d.png

image.png.bd32de2062c0aac7ad7f54db49f59322.png

We've put them on the back foot. We've played arguably our hardest fixture in this group (Before the shenanigans) - It obviously transpired that this game ended up being a gift rather than the expected pummeling. Tonight was fucking dreadful, but Steve Clarke has proven time and time again that he's successful at shitfesting games. A draw at home against Czech Republic and we'll be looking comfortable in the group with a very good chance of topping it.

I reckon he'll abandon this system (Hopefully) and we'll maybe have a bit more of a positive outlook on things once we have some more options up top that could allow us to change things from game to game. Reckon if LG gets back to full fitness he could be supported very well by Dykes.

That's about as positive as I can get. It's fucking turgid watching, but then I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a Scotland game.

Edited by Ludo*1

33 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Thought Robertson and Clarkes after match interview approach of offering Luke Shanley a square go was pretty ill judged. an entire nation watched two gutless performances against opposition we should have been comfortable against. Looked like a team with no clue or confidence.  Players playing at the top end of the premiership looking bang average against Championship/League one quality. 

Completely agree, both refused to acknowledge how shit we’ve been in the last 2 matches. They’re basically more interested in getting fans to stop moaning than actually getting us playing better. I’d quite like to see Robertson have a bad season at Liverpool, doesn’t try a leg for us. 

Just now, ftk said:

The thing people forget when talking about past Scotland teams are that the opposition were usually alot weaker back then.

Most other countries have got better and we haven't!

plus the breakup of the ussr has created a whole load of new nations, many of whom are decent at football. There were far less developed footballing nations back then. A point the likes of Willie Miller forgets to address when slagging every new generation and bragging about getting humiliated on the big stage with our "world beaters"