Czech Republic v Scotland

Just now, bernardblack said:

A win is a win but you’ve got to wonder about the gaffers thought process keeping that for formation to not play Tierney...and still play McTominay at the back

See, I assumed it was because it would be easier to switch to a 4 at the back with McTominay moving forward, but since that never happened...

Our of curiosity, other than Dykes and tonights result, can anyone take any positives from the past two games?

Marshall cant be blamed for anything, but its no surprise that he is a very good goalkeeper.

Ive honestly got nothing. Poor shape, poor selections, poor performances and almost nothing to get excited about.

I desperately want Clarke to do well, but he isnt looking great so far.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think we’re better in A, because we’ll be almost guaranteed a playoff spot for turning up. Iceland got a playoff for losing 6-0, 3-0, 2-1 and 2-0 last time.

Definitely better in A.

More likely to get a playoff spot by not winning the group, and also a good chance of playing teams which did not win their group in a lower league

It’s not their first team but also it’s not the normal coaching squad nor did they have any training time together. It’s not just about their quality - we looked less organised and less tactically capable.

That is kind of my point. I reckon countries like The Czech Republic could put 5 or 6 squads together who would be technically competent. We are relying on journeymen like Cooper and Palmer as 1st choices.

You don’t want to get relegated to C. You’re then in Pot 4 for qualifiers which has you sunk.

If (outrageously) we were to win the group, we’d end up 2nd/3rd seeds for WC qualifiers and then for Europeans in 2024.

If we go down, it’s 3rd seeds at best. 

Coming second in this group is the best result from all options. 

Our of curiosity, other than Dykes and tonights result, can anyone take any positives from the past two games?
Marshall cant be blamed for anything, but its no surprise that he is a very good goalkeeper.
Ive honestly got nothing. Poor shape, poor selections, poor performances and almost nothing to get excited about.

Both home and away kits looked ok.

Not sure if that’s a positive though.

What I've just watched just doesn't make sense. A 4 at the back manager going for a back 3, using a talented central midfielder of good repute in there even tho he was obviously struggling. Add to that a midfield that barely functioned and was porous to the Czech C team. Why would you allow that shitshow to run for 180 mins without majorly tweaking it? Even the subs tonight were like for like.

Only positives were Dykes for looking pretty useful and Christie for his penalty baws.

We're seriously drifting. Not a chance we will get thru the playoffs with this approach.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If we somehow get through against Israel the only way we'll beat Norway us if somone breaks Haaland's legs.

Wouldn't fancy anyone to even get within leg breaking range at this point 

Enjoyed McKenna practicing rugby tackles though, that's definitely an option

We won't see McTominay at centre half again. That has to be a positive

1 minute ago, CambieBud said:

That is kind of my point. I reckon countries like The Czech Republic could put 5 or 6 squads together who would be technically competent. We are relying on journeymen like Cooper and Palmer as 1st choices.

Every single player in the Czech side tonight would dream of a move to Leeds. 

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If we somehow get through against Israel the only way we'll beat Norway us if somone breaks Haaland's legs.

Or one or two of the Norwegians attend a Covid party.