Czech Republic v Scotland

3 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

That opinion is exactly why we are where we are.

1. Not even a Czech third team

2. Have little-to-zero international/European experience

3. Have never played together

4. Have had <48 hours to get to know each other

5. This is perhaps the 4th or 5th best team of a very poorly performing European nation

In fact, short of a complete boycott by all professional footballers, you literally could not write a circumstance that would be more beneficial to us if you tried.

And despite this, you don’t expect us to dominate?? Please god, do tell us all of a circumstance when you would expect that to happen?

They all play for the same clubs.   They know each other’s game a darn sight better than the Scotland players do.  Scotland dominiate against technically lesser teams.  Czech Republic B are not a lesser team, in my opinion.  Your mileage my vary, of course.   

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Why do the pair of you "imagine" that? Have you seen any of these players play, or is it just "we're shite so they must be better" mentality?

It’s exactly that, to be honest.  I have no idea about any of these Czech players.  

12 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

Would you agree that he has been underwhelming? I really like Robertson but his use of the ball for Scotland has been suspect at times. I wouldn’t say he’s been shite but he’s clearly capable of performing much better than he has for Scotland  

Given the players he is playing with I'm not sure how much better he can be for us. At Liverpool his best play is in the final third, Scotland spend so little time in the final third (relative to Liverpool) that he's limited to the odd cross from deep when playing for us. For Liverpool he is also surrounded by wonderful players who attract defenders and give him space, like Mane cutting infield and dragging defenders away. At Scotland everyone knows he is our best player and that we have little else so teams can stop him more easily. Lastly, his game is all about assists, you can only assist if there are people there to stick the ball in the net. At Liverpool he has 3 of the best forwards in the world in the box waiting for his crosses, at Scotland on the few occasions we actually attack he has Dykes or Burke, and maybe a supporting midfielder.

All players play better with better players around them, but I think some smaller nations have great players who can still perform to near their highest level despite being surrounded by poor players because their game is more about individual brilliance. As long as the team gives them a platform to perform they can go and do their thing, like Bale with Wales. Unfortunately our top level players in recent years have tended to be guys like Robertson and Fletcher who aren't going to take games by the scruff of the neck and drag you to a win. They are guys who require a certain quality of player around them to allow them to be at their best, if they get that they will be brilliant. If they don't then they'll do a decent job, as just as Fletcher did and Robertson does, but they are never going to be anything like they are for their club.

I think far too many fans just watch Liverpool and see Robertson tearing it up and then go along to Hampden expecting the same, when through no fault of his own he is never going to be at that level for us.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

They all play for the same clubs.   They know each other’s game a darn sight better than the Scotland players do.  Scotland dominiate against technically lesser teams.  Czech Republic B are not a lesser team, in my opinion.  Your mileage my vary, of course.   

Again. This is not the Czech B team. The B team also went home. Presumably the C team would include u21s who were also unavailable.

No great team is built from 22 non-capped players from the clubs they could contact at a few hours’ notice.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Currently watching Kazakhstan v Belarus.  The Kazakhs are fucking brutal.  Shows how bad that 3-0 game was.

Horrendous result. As was losing 1-0 to Belarus at Hampden under Walter Smith.

Plenty of teams of jobbers have taken points off us in the last 20 years or so. Losing points tonight would be a new low though.

He is great at tracking back when bombing forward but you cant blame the c**t for not risking it more for us when he turns round to check for cover and seeing Scott McKenna instead of Virgil Van Dijk. 

Its like debating whether to leave the house for 5 mins instead of bringing the kids to get milk but your trustable granny of a  neighbour has died next door and Ian Huntley has moved in.

Edited by gannonball

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Its like debating whether to leave the house for 5 mins instead of bringing the kids to get milk but your trustable granny of a  neighbour has died next door and Ian Huntley has moved in.

That comparison had more overthinking to it than the lineup on Friday had?

4 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Have heard McGinn is on the bench and McTominay is in the back line again. We'll find out.

It would make sense to me if McGinn was struggling for match fitness, but then you'd expect McTominay would be as well.

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Have heard McGinn is on the bench and McTominay is in the back line again. We'll find out.

I've just been told it's the same team as Friday but in a different shape, namely:

Marshall

Tierney - McTominay - McKenna - Robertson

Jack - McGregor

Forrest - McGinn - Christie

Dykes

42 minutes ago, Lex said:

It’s more of a C team really. Their B team would have been the guys good enough to make the squad but not good enough to get in the team. They’re all out too.

If we win everyone will shrug their shoulders and disregard it. It’s not really an international team we are playing, just a bunch of average players and a coach thrown together with a few days notice. We should be winning comfortably. It’s guys who’ve never been capped before and will likely never be capped again.

If we don’t win it will be right up there at the top of a long list of humiliating results in the history of our national team. I don’t see how Clarke survives a defeat to be honest.

Clarke would survive a 5-0 humping as the SFA have no money to pay him off. Unless he resigned of course.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

When was the last time Scotland played brilliantly?  I don’t know how this game gives any reason for optimism.  

I'm not saying we'll be brilliant or have been, I just don't know why people think a Czechia C/D side with one old retired c**t at the back will be better technically than the likes of Ryan Christie or Scott McTominay. If these 22/23 year olds who have never had a sniff at International level before are so technically brilliant, why are they 22/23 and still playing in the Czech league? Are we really suggesting that Czechian football has 3 or 4 tiers of players that are all technically better than our first choice 11, and none of Europe's top clubs have picked them up? I can't accept that at all, it's typical Scottish pessimism combined with some Abroad League logic.

36 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

They all play for the same clubs.   They know each other’s game a darn sight better than the Scotland players do.  Scotland dominiate against technically lesser teams.  Czech Republic B are not a lesser team, in my opinion. 

35 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s exactly that, to be honest.  I have no idea about any of these Czech players.  

I absolutely hate this section of The Forum. What am I doing with my life?