Next Gen - Fifa vs Pro Evo

Ludo*1

Who will win the next gen of football games?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The oft proposed restrictions on lootboxes may even the playing field slighty and force EA to actually fix their game.

I would love if someone (looking at 2K here) threw their weight and money behind a third option.

Two fantastic sentences paired up here.

EA have the market sewn up thanks to the official licence and the FUT mode. They are under no pressure to improve the game beyond reskinning every year, because regardless of the quality of the game, kids still spend millions on FIFA points every year.
Pro evo (correct terminology) for me, has almost always been a superior game let down by shitey menus and lack of licenses.
The oft proposed restrictions on lootboxes may even the playing field slighty and force EA to actually fix their game.
I would love if someone (looking at 2K here) threw their weight and money behind a third option.
Pro Evo licensing is improving, and for any of the non licensed leagues you can download option files easily enough (on the ps4 anyway).

I own Pro Evo and my brother has FIFA. There is no comparing the 2 games, FIFA is absolutely rotten. What is the pressing all about?

If the online play was half as good as Fifa's , Pro Evo would be the more popular game.

Pro Evo 2020 is going for about £6 on the PS Store so I'm going to give it a go.

Haven't played a Pro Evo game in years mainly because I only ever played Fifa for career mode and the lack of licenses in Pro Evo put me off. However, Fifa 20 has been shocking since day 1 and they've never really done anything to improve it. Career mode hasn't been updated in years and is arguably getting worse.

FIFA had it sewn up around '07 and especially '08 when they just nicked the gameplay off PES (I say Pro Evo but I'm too lazy when typing) and Konami have looked like they can't figure out what to do next.

Are you regretting it yet? 
I'm not really sure yet. It definitely doesn't seem as easy to just pick up and play as Fifa but that could just be down to having played Fifa for years.

Pro Evo is definitely more satisfying when you score. In Fifa it can sometimes be too easy to just dribble through the opposition or hit one in from miles out. There seems to be a lot more focus on passing the ball in Pro Evo and creating opportunities.

I've noticed on social media the last couple of days that EA seem to really be pushing that the have exclusive rights to AC and Inter Milan.

Am I just missing something but what's different? Both teams have been in Fifa for years as has the San Siro so I can't really see what else they can add. Is it just a case of EA trying to show they've got a licence over Konami?

I've noticed on social media the last couple of days that EA seem to really be pushing that the have exclusive rights to AC and Inter Milan.

Am I just missing something but what's different? Both teams have been in Fifa for years as has the San Siro so I can't really see what else they can add. Is it just a case of EA trying to show they've got a licence over Konami?

Probably pushing it to take away from the fact they’ve lost the license for Roma

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

44 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Probably pushing it to take away from the fact they’ve lost the license for Roma

Think both teams were 'official partners' (link) last year, so meant they were in the small band of PES teams that they used in their advertising, trailers etc. Not that there is any real visual difference between the teams in terms of FIFA vs PES but this will be just a case of EA trying to show off.

This last year after I got FIFA I was so unimpressed that I bought Pro Evo so that I could be suitably unimpressed by two games. It's going to take a huge shift from both makers for me to buy another one. £50 every year for new strips on a computer game isn't worth it.

49 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This last year after I got FIFA I was so unimpressed that I bought Pro Evo so that I could be suitably unimpressed by two games. It's going to take a huge shift from both makers for me to buy another one. £50 every year for new strips on a computer game isn't worth it.

I'm still amazed at the amount of grown men I've met who buy the base game for £50-60 then spend another 4, 5 even 6 times as much as that on playing Ultimate Team. I don't think I've spent more than 30 quid on a FIFA game in about 5 years.

• 3 weeks later...

I was really quite addicted to FIFA ultimate team for most of its life cycle so far after I pretty much had a year without playing either game but I gave up a few months ago when it started getting really toxic because they were giving out far too many TOTS players as weekend league rewards and then giving out really high rated players for completing certain objectives meaning no one was really playing rivals properly.

I did have PES 2020 when it first came out but as I was primarily an Xbox player and didn't have access to option files, as much as it pains me, the lack of licensing just takes away from the whole feel for me.

I've started playing PS4 more lately and so got back into PES. If I had one tip for anyone, it would be to stick manual passing on and take time to master it as best you can. It's an absolute game changer.

ETA Hoping to try manual shooting as well soon but one step at a time! 

Edited by #Gary

• 11 months later...

I see Pro Evo has announced it's killing the PES franchise and just becoming eFootball which will be free to play and rely on in game purchases over many years.

Sounds pish.

Once I started playing pro evo on the ps2 i could never get back into fifa, fifas gameplay just seemed so slow and monotonous compared to pro evo where it felt slick, quick

However konami never had the financial ability to match fifa for the rest of the game, i dont care that much about proper names etc (especially on the ps4 you could download an update on a memory stick and update it) but the whole of pro evo when you werent playing felt messy, trying to find things, especially online mode was brutal, 

Fifa have simply ripped the arse out of FUT though, a billion a year that takes, all to wipe everyones slate clean and force them to do it again, its fucking ridiculous how they get away with that, lootboxes have never bothered me, buy them or you dont, you have a choice, but to simply throw your team away every year when releasing a new skin of the same game is a joke, but they get away with it cause the fanboys just keep buying their shite

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I see Pro Evo has announced it's killing the PES franchise and just becoming eFootball which will be free to play and rely on in game purchases over many years.

Sounds pish.

I mean, yeah it does but it's as close to the ethos of just doing squad updates annually model that many have been scrambling for through the years as we're going to get.

It's far more palatable that FIFA's model of 'rinse folk of money for our best/most popular game mode and repeat' currently is.

I don't understand the negativity towards the eFootball free to play model tbh.

Their trailer was trash - criticise it.

Crossplay between mobile and next gen consoles sounds like trash - criticise it.

Specifically being negative about the new free to play model absolutely baffles me.

I play both but I play FIFA a shit tonne more because PES online is still beyond dreadful and there's a serious lack of content in myteam etc.

A lot of what they're pitching for FIFA 23 does look like a huge leap forward in terms of how the game plays on the pitch which is always the biggest issue with FIFA. There's a pretty good run down of their trailer and pitch notes on YouTube by TrueBrits who is typically a PES player.

As a regular God at Fifa this is the first time I've even been mildly interested in PES since I first played it and thought it was ass 20 years ago. Will at least give it a shot which I haven't done in recent years. 

On 05/08/2020 at 12:56, NotThePars said:

I'm still amazed at the amount of grown men I've met who buy the base game for £50-60 then spend another 4, 5 even 6 times as much as that on playing Ultimate Team. I don't think I've spent more than 30 quid on a FIFA game in about 5 years.

I can’t describe how uninterested I have always been in FUT. I just do not understand the point of it. 

I just play seasons, the occasional game of Pro Clubs and the player career mode (which is deeply shit).