Next Gen - Fifa vs Pro Evo

Ludo*1

Who will win the next gen of football games?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fifa has absolutely dominated the football scene since the PS3 days (I talk in Sony console generations since I've never owned Xbox) and probably even the latter end of the PS2 days tbh. Really interested to see how this will translate over on to the next generation of consoles though.

Pro Evo seem to be holding off a year and have been up front that they'll just do an updated transfer list and are fully committed on revamping their engine and putting all of their focus on bringing out a quality game for the following year. This is something most fans of the series have been begging them to do for some time. Fifa/EA Sports have been resting on their laurels for a good few year now and with the addition of FUT, they've been rolling in the money without really needing to improve much.

The latest Fifa reveal trailer for the next gen absolutely looks like just another re-skin. Fifa 20 is the first Fifa I've not owned since whatever came before Fifa 98  (I might be wrong - only reason I remember that one is for its banging tunes)

The negative spin on this is summed up in one word: Konami.

What's your thoughts on the new gen when it comes to football games?

As a complete a side - I feel you can tell someone's age by whether they call the Konami franchise - ISS, Pro Evo or PES. Is that just me?

13 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Fifa has absolutely dominated the football scene since the PS3 days (I talk in Sony console generations since I've never owned Xbox) and probably even the latter end of the PS2 days tbh. Really interested to see how this will translate over on to the next generation of consoles though.

Pro Evo seem to be holding off a year and have been up front that they'll just do an updated transfer list and are fully committed on revamping their engine and putting all of their focus on bringing out a quality game for the following year. This is something most fans of the series have been begging them to do for some time. Fifa/EA Sports have been resting on their laurels for a good few year now and with the addition of FUT, they've been rolling in the money without really needing to improve much.

The latest Fifa reveal trailer for the next gen absolutely looks like just another re-skin. Fifa 20 is the first Fifa I've not owned since whatever came before Fifa 98  (I might be wrong - only reason I remember that one is for its banging tunes)

The negative spin on this is summed up in one word: Konami.

What's your thoughts on the new gen when it comes to football games?

As a complete a side - I feel you can tell someone's age by whether they call the Konami franchise - ISS, Pro Evo or PES. Is that just me?

What do you mean by who will win?  Fifa will make more money if that's winning, but Pro Evo will make a better game as always.  Those in the know will ken and buy Pro Evo and the mugs who think they ken will get Fifa.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Pro Evo is the superior actual football game but is dreadfully executed in terms of user interface and overall experience.

Who gives the slightest f**k?  Are you playing it for user interface?  And what experience apart from playing the game where Pro Evo is obviously miles better.

I have to say I called it ISS for a long time.  

29 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I was gonnae buy these jeans but the user interface isn't that good.  Load of shite.

tenor.gif

Horrendous analogy. 

But it depends largely on what game mode you play. Master League, for example, can require trawling through menus and tinkering with your formation/ starting 11. 

If the user interface is awkward to use and navigate, this can be a pain in the arse and make it less enjoyable.

What’s the gist with Pro Evo’s online nowadays?
I’ve flitted between the 2 games in the last few years, I ended up with Fifa again this year due to it being about £20 in a sale and the fact my pals all play clubs. Also a sucker for manager mode despite the lack of real improvement in it in the last few years. 

Definitely prefer Pro Evo more for gameplay though, far superior. Just annoyed me with online lagging more than I find on Fifa. Tried to convince my pals to convert but they’re idiots. 

I’ve been extremely critical with Fifa with year but Pro Evo - it’s ten times worse. I like that it focuses on passing the ball but you can’t beat a man. You can’t play co-op online and you need to create rooms to get a game with a million different servers? 

The officiating is also ridiculous. Playing against my mate we obviously hack each other to death, but no one has ever been sent off. You need to tap shoot or else it balloons over the bar and you can just do a rainbow flick over your opponent like it’s a normal thing. I like the array of teams in Pro Evo, particularly internationals, but the gameplay is worse than Fifa and that’s disappointing.

8 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Who gives the slightest f**k?  Are you playing it for user interface?  And what experience apart from playing the game where Pro Evo is obviously miles better.

Erm, partly yes? I mainly play MyClub and Master League and the latter in particular is severely lacking in terms of ease of use as it's so pernickity. Master league has been a good idea for a long time but remains clunky as f**k in its execution.

Also, the online matchmaking facility is completely fucking shite and their servers don't seem to handle too many folk online, especially in My Club and is very, very unstable. 

I want to pick a football game up and enjoy it straight away. No pick it up, read all Konami's wordy announcements then wait 6 minutes before I'm actually matched with someone online.

As I say, it's a better fitba game again now....it wasn't for a long time and they called it in for about 6 or 7 years to the point where FIFA was a far better game in the late 2000's and early 2010's but they at least upped their game in that regard in the current gen. However, the fact Konami have barely even changed the UI since the days of PS2 is shoddy as f**k....they still even use the same stupid menu and alert sounds they've had since day dot, FFS.

Clear it out for PES 2022. Make it feel like a completely new game.

Edited by djchapsticks

EA have the market sewn up thanks to the official licence and the FUT mode. They are under no pressure to improve the game beyond reskinning every year, because regardless of the quality of the game, kids still spend millions on FIFA points every year.

Pro evo (correct terminology) for me, has almost always been a superior game let down by shitey menus and lack of licenses.

The oft proposed restrictions on lootboxes may even the playing field slighty and force EA to actually fix their game.

I would love if someone (looking at 2K here) threw their weight and money behind a third option.

10 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

If you play Master League and take it seriously you easily spend as much time, if not more, in menus as you do in-game. It's a key part of that mode.

The winner will be the first who makes a serious single player career mode.

Neither have had that for about a decade, with one being a bug riddled fucking mess, while the other hasn't moved on since the 90s apart from making it worse looking and less interesting.

FIFA will continue to pump all their effort into UT, so theres a massive hole that Pro Evo can fill, if they notice it. Sadly they're more likely to fail to match UT and end up with a rancid single player game.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The winner will be the first who makes a serious single player career mode.

Neither have had that for about a decade, with one being a bug riddled fucking mess, while the other hasn't moved on since the 90s apart from making it worse looking and less interesting.

FIFA will continue to pump all their effort into UT, so theres a massive hole that Pro Evo can fill, if they notice it. Sadly they're more likely to fail to match UT and end up with a rancid single player game.

Libero Grande 2?