Championship Predictor 2020/21

We look good for 2nd place this year IMO. Two highly rated youngsters on cusp of 1st team football for Celtic and Hibs, respectively, added to the squad now. 

Haven't been excited to see a certain player in a Pars strip as much as Dom Thomas for quite some time. The guy absolutely oozes quality. 

Well that's us fucked default_sad.png
Changed this stance. 3 friendlies in, we've destroyed Threave Rovers and saw off Dalbeattie Star and Annan. We've got Airdrie to sweep aside on Saturday before the real deal begins. Reckon we're good value for a top 4 spot now. And all you fools think we're a shoe in for relegation 8)

8 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Aye, that always works out. 

Well, Afolabi, also from Celtic, looked very handy last season. Unfortunately COVID put an end to that. Dom Thomas, on loan from Killie, was also a machine. Fraser Murray is supposedly a bit handy and I'm looking forward to seeing him and Dom Thomas in the same team. 

So, I'd say, recently anyway, loanees from the Premiership have worked out alright for us. 

Edited by DAFC.

On 15/09/2020 at 11:22, Flash said:

Never mind that, how many do you need to stay up?

So, using the same 20 year window, which includes such magnificent performances as Brechin's 4 points...

Eighth averages 39 points, which is 29 this year

Ninth averages 35 points, which is 27 this year

Tenth averages 26 points, which is 20 this year

Best guess is seven or eight wins from 27 should give a decent chance at staying up.

On 01/09/2020 at 20:42, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Scottish Championship winners odds

1/8, Hearts; 10/1, Dundee; 16/1, ICT; 25/1, Dunfermline; 33/1, Ayr Utd; 66/1, Morton; 100/1, Arbroath; 150/1, Raith Rovers and Queen of the South; 200/1, Alloa.

Those Hearts odds are fucking insane. Who have they signed? I've genuinely not been paying attention but have to assume from that that they've signed a whole new team. From what I saw of them on the telly last season they would do well to make the top 4. 

9 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Those Hearts odds are fucking insane. Who have they signed? I've genuinely not been paying attention but have to assume from that that they've signed a whole new team. From what I saw of them on the telly last season they would do well to make the top 4. 

It's because they have a huge budget which will dwarf every other club in the league.

They have signed: Craig Gordon (free transfer, Celtic), Jordan Roberts (free transfer, Ipswich Town), Ross Stewart (loan, Livingston), Elliot Frear (free transfer, Forest Green Rovers), Josh Ginnelly(loan, Preston North End), Mihai Popescu (free transfer, Dinamo Bucuresti)

I don't think Hearts winning the league is a guarantee, particularly over a shortened season.

7 hours ago, Snafu said:

Relegated clubs coming down to this league should always have a clear out to make room for new players otherwise a squad that doesn't gel is a liability on the pitch and the losing mentality will continue to pull that club down regardless how strong the squad looks on paper.

On paper Hearts should cigar this league, the reality could be a lot different.

100% this. Falkirk last year were seen to be ready to piss League One with a cadre of Championship level players and an experienced coach. Instead poor coaching decisions and inglorious player performances left them floundering by December, but even then a couple of new managers and a few player adjustments almost pulled the league out. If this Hearts team gets its players to perform to their talent level, and if Neilson can mesh them into a team, they should do well...but offering odds for a no loss season shows how deluded some Hearts fans are.

8 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I don't think Hearts winning the league is a guarantee, particularly over a shortened season.

That’s the absolute wildcard here, not only because of the shortened season but also because of the likelihood of players being out of the lineup are various inconvenient times. A flexible squad I’d likely to be a massive asset this year.

On 24/09/2020 at 09:22, Snafu said:

Relegated clubs coming down to this league should always have a clear out to make room for new players otherwise a squad that doesn't gel is a liability on the pitch and the losing mentality will continue to pull that club down regardless how strong the squad looks on paper.

You should bin a whole squad and sign a new one because the squad that was already together might not gel? 

What? :huh:

If we don't finish 2nd with the squad we're assembling then McPake should not only be punted but also not allowed to manage again at even amateur level. Jack Hamilton will be his downfall IMO.

I'd be hopeful of finishing 2nd. Anything less than 4th is a complete failure and Crawford should be punted with the return of Jack de Gier as manager, funded exclusively by our German masters, should that happen.

1. Hearts

2. Dundee

3. ICT

4. Ayr

5. Dunfermline

6. Arbroath

7. Morton

8. Raith

9. QOTS

10. Alloa

Dundee to beat Ayr in the playoff semi-final and then lose to fucking Hamilton as per.

Queens to stay up, after beating Patrick as Ian McCall's head explodes in a fit of rage...

Top scorers - Boyce, Afolabi, Sutherland & McManus

First Manager to get punted - McGlynn.

Edited by Spikethedee

On 20/07/2020 at 22:39, RossBFaeDundee said:

1st. Heart of Midlothian

2nd. Dundee FC

3rd. Dunfermline Athletic

4th. Inverness Caledonian Thistle

5th. Ayr United

6th. Greenock Morton

7th. Raith Rovers

8th. Arbroath

9th. Alloa Athletic

10th. Queen of the South

Despite making this over 2 months ago, I don't think I would change much tbh. Maybe Raith over Morton, but even then I'm not sure. Dundee need to be more impressive this season than last, that's absolutely imperative if McPake wants to prove himself.

As things stand right now...

1st. Heart of Midlothian
2nd. Ayr United
3rd. Dunfermline Athletic
4th. Inverness Caledonian Thistle 
5th. Dundee FC 

6th. Arbroath
7th. Raith Rovers

8th. Alloa Athletic
9th. Greenock Morton
10th. Queen of the South

The only thing I fell fairly sure of is Hearts finishing first. I personally see three other "groups" of teams in the league and I can't really settle on how they would finish within them. 

I think ICT will be 3rd or 4th and whilst Dundee / Dunfermline have recruited well I think Robbo is a better manager so I think we would finish above one of them. I like Ayr's signings and whilst Kerr is quite new to the managerial game I feel that Ayr could be right up there "in the mix" for the playoff spots.

If I did this again in a couple of weeks I could easily swap Ayr for Dundee, or us for Dunfermline. I think we are all quite well matched.