Colmar, France

Romeo

Yes but years ago. My brother in law was living nearby while working in Basel in Switzerland. It was 3 weeks before Christmas and beautiful. Lovely oldy worldly feel and great pre Christmas vibe with the markets. Really nice area went to Germany, Switzerland and France on different days.

If you're going this summer, it'll be absolutely rammed with tourists. We were camping in the Vosges national park so weren't staying there, just visited on a day trip. Lovely old town though, plenty of cafés etc and there's  plenty to see of a historical bent in the greater Alsace region, given its turbulent history. 

I've only driven past but with the airport there it'll be a great base to go exploring. Freiburg and Basel nearby, Zürich is one of my favourite cities and is only just over an hour drive. Direct train from Basel as well. 
Yip second all this and we also did Lucerne on the train from Basel. It was the most beautiful rail journey ever and lake Lucerne even in a December mist was stunning. Just looked back 14 years ago yikes. My son was in his buggy I mind pushing him around the tiny village my brother in law lived in visiting both the village bars on the way of a morning, great days. Strasbourg is also reachable in under an hour, lovely area.