Sorest Goal to Concede

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Someone needs to bookmark this post. It is the first time in living memory the Rev IM Northfield has been accused of a "rose tinted" post!

It's ok. 

He only tinted things rosily, in order to enhance the contrast when he then plunged us into despair.

10 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Auchinleck Talbot 1 

Ayr utd 0 ..McCall should have left after that .

I was thinking about this one too. Obviously embarrassing to get knocked out by a Junior team but shit happens, it was our turn. 

What made it worse was the aftermath and the local Talbot 'fans' who emerged from everywhere to have a go! Well that's how it felt to me!

3 hours ago, aldo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31883312

Ultimately didn't matter, but I remember being unable to converse with anyone for a day or two after this one. Genuinely felt we'd be going down to the bottom tier after this one. The league table in this link says it all.

10 points above automatic relegation, 1 point behind safety with 6 games to play? 

Truly the great escape. 

Edited by Grant228

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

10 points above automatic promotion, 1 point behind safety with 6 games to play? 

Truly the great escape. 

Don't think the arse-collapse in that fashion would have given them much encouragement tbh.

Edit to add did we not relegate Ayr in similar fashion at Cappielow in 2009/10 ish?

Edited by GiGi

The season we threw away the 2nd division title. Think we still had a lingering hope of going up in second. We lost our last game of the season 4-1 against stenny and they had a big lanky forward who scored an overhead kick and that was a sickener. Killed any hope I had of a minor miracle. 

13 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

10 points above automatic promotion

Not quite sure how that works, but I wish we were.

Instead this was game 5 in a 9 game, 2 month long, winless run in the league - before we won our last 2 and stayed up on the last day. All with a  team that started the season with Mark Roberts in charge. I hadn't thought of it as a great escape, but I think you're right actually.

11 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Don't think the arse-collapse in that fashion would have given them much encouragement tbh.

Edit to add did we not relegate Ayr in similar fashion at Cappielow in 2009/10 ish?

Yes indeed. Morton loved a 2-1, late win over us at Cappielow for a while.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/8652966.stm - that relegation game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37737978 - 2016, virtually the same timings involved.

Worst for me was the Sevco goal Moshni 'scored' against Albion Rovers at Ibrox, when they were on their Journey.
Rovers were crap for years and a bit of a joke, but were winning 1-0 when Moshni headed the keeper into the net. Astonishingly (being a bit sarcastic) the ref gave the goal to save Sevco. Worst ever bit of blatant cheating.
Rarely does anyone get a decision against the Bigot Brothers, but that goal sticks in my memory.

1 minute ago, aldo said:

Yes indeed. Morton loved a 2-1, late win over us at Cappielow for a while.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/8652966.stm - that relegation game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37737978 - 2016, virtually the same timings involved.

Found it. How the f**k did we win that? That was a relegation decider too. We were down until the last 15 minutes.

22 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Found it. How the f**k did we win that? That was a relegation decider too. We were down until the last 15 minutes.

Jesus, daylight robbery. The defending on Ayr's goal. And the winner actually! 😄

Clear foul on the keeper for the equaliser too.

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Jesus, daylight robbery. The defending on Ayr's goal. And the winner actually! 😄

Clear foul on the keeper for the equaliser too.

Disagree, looked like an Ayr player shoved Witteveen into the keeper.

And also looks like it was Dean Keenan 😂

2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Ach I didnt look that closely, I just saw the keeper get taken out. It might be a shove, not convinced there is that much in it. As you say, if it was Keenan it should be ignored anyway. 😄

1 hour ago, aldo said:

Not quite sure how that works, but I wish we were.

You were 

Screenshot_20200725_132003_uk_co_bbc.android.sportdomestic.thumb.jpg.4e7d2a6023ef24744bf3a15169577fb4.jpg

Stirling are in the automatic relegation zone on 17 points, you're in the playoff spot on 27, even if you hadn't turned over that 1 point difference with Stenny in 6 games you would still have had the playoffs before you were actually relegated. 

29 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

You were 

Stirling are in the automatic relegation zone on 17 points, you're in the playoff spot on 27, even if you hadn't turned over that 1 point difference with Stenny in 6 games you would still have had the playoffs before you were actually relegated. 

😄 I think this slightly lost on you. Perhaps you could check up on the difference between relegation and promotion firstly, and have a wee gander of your post. And if the concept of some classic, ultimately misplaced, pessimism after a crushing arse collapse, in the middle of horrific run, (with the possible consequence being relegation to the bottom tier) doesn't resonate with someone who supports a provincial team, then fair play to you Sir!

Maybe have a wee afternoon snooze.

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

It was indeed Dean Keenan. Leading to this delightful photo.

19C05E4F-9961-4E85-A161-948AA6EA7911.jpeg.9da5498425a6802f32c36244c3218b9d.jpeg.jpg.6cac58f0a612d549316891a0ec81aed1.jpg

I'd forgotten how many chances Ayr had in that game. Just looking at the complete disarray of that defence, we really were like that every single week under Grady. Never a manager in a million years.

Paartalu before their goal, holy f**k :lol: I reckon you could build a team of Australia internationals who would get relegated comfortably at this level with duds like him getting capped.

27 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

You were 

Screenshot_20200725_132003_uk_co_bbc.android.sportdomestic.thumb.jpg.4e7d2a6023ef24744bf3a15169577fb4.jpg

You need to reread your previous post.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

It was indeed Dean Keenan. Leading to this delightful photo.

19C05E4F-9961-4E85-A161-948AA6EA7911.jpeg.9da5498425a6802f32c36244c3218b9d.jpeg.jpg.6cac58f0a612d549316891a0ec81aed1.jpg

You need to reread your previous post.

Looks absolutely fine to me IMO. 

1 hour ago, aldo said:

. And if the concept of some classic, ultimately misplaced, pessimism after a crushing arse collapse, in the middle of horrific run, (with the possible consequence being relegation to the bottom tier) doesn't resonate with someone who supports a provincial team, then fair play to you Sir!

Maybe have a wee afternoon snooze.

Not particularly, I'd consider myself a pessimist but even then, with 6 games to go, being 1 point behind what was a very poor Stenny side wouldn't have me throwing in the towel. And I can't stress how much of a pessimist I am with regards to football. 

That season as a whole was a horror, I can't beleive we were still that close to the playoffs so close to the end of the season, I thought we were miles out of it for a while.