Sorest Goal to Concede

Tynecastle, Scottish Cup on 25.01.17. Raith were the better side drawing 1-1 five minutes into ET. Then who else but Jamie Walker falls over in the box to win a penalty. Of course they score, what makes it worse was that Ryan Hardie equalised for us two minutes later, only for Jamie Walker to do the same thing again and they scored again. Then they scored again and after that I was scunnered with football for a while. We went on to be relegated.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

SD and DD have already nominated some strong contenders.  In terms of sore goals to lose though, surely those in a cup final are worthy of inclusion?

You could nominate 2 of the 3 conceded against Rangers in the Scottish Cup Final.  Not much you can say about Boyd's opener, it was a cracking strike, but Beasley's was one of those that if he'd hit it cleanly it gets saved but instead it trundled in and looked to have killed the game making it 2-0, very sore!  We then somehow managed to get ourselves back into the game, only for Boyd to pop up with a free header from a corner, the definitive sucker punch.

I also remember being particularly devastated by David Hutton's howler in the 2010 Challenge Cup final against Ross County.  It was a glorious day, we had a decent crowd up and everything was in place for a great day out and a chance to win a trophy.  Instead the game was over after 9 minutes (I had to look this up, I would have had it as even earlier).

Everything about that Beasley goal was just horrible.

A chance only arose at all because Thomson and McCann collided, when either would have cleared comfortably if acting alone.  The shot was then half hit, requiring MacDonald to lift his foot off the floor at the crucial instant to allow the ball to trickle under it.  

I often wonder what would have happened had that goal not arrived.  Would we have come out as we did in the second half and got ahead, or would we have attempted to hang in, with just a one goal deficit?  Who knows?

That goal is definitely a contender though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

5 hours ago, All-Star-Par said:

Conceding in the second half or extra time against Celtic away last season was a bit of kick in the stones as penalties are always a lottery. Comparatively the two squads were a universe apart and imagine the scenes if we had knocked them out. 

Still the complete rage towards the Pars fans after the game which seen a balaclava wearing Celtic fan punch a horse and the Twitter outrage after made up for that. Delicious.

Penalties are not a lottery.

4 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Played Hearts off the park in the league cup in 2018 and lost the winner 10 minutes before the end. Mind it being a bit of a tough one to take considering how well we'd played.

What? It finished 2-2 and we won on penalties.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not so much a goal - but a game.

Dunfermline vs Dundee - Tuesday night game, 2010.

We were in freefall. We'd got rid of Jocky and brought Gordon Chisholm in. He'd basically attacked the squad saying they weren't fit enough and basically slandered Jocky's management of the squad. There were some salacious rumours coming out about Jocky's sacking from him being told just before kick-off against Airdrie (The game many used as a justification for him losing the dressing room) that he'd been sacked. Any way, it was a shite state of affairs and to this day I believe Jocky would have carried us over the line that season or at least deserved the opportunity to try and do so.

Away from what was turning into a ramble - The night was pissing down, it was freezing and Dundee just didn't turn up. Ben Hutchinson (One of the worst strikers we've ever had) was involved in a freak collision with Greg Paterson resulting in him breaking his leg. The crack was audible from the other side of the stadium. Hutchinson was noticeably affected and had to be subbed at HT.

Pretty sure Gordon Chisholm made 3 subs at HT due to the terrible display. Players from that team have since admitted that Chisholm and Dodds didn't have a clue and that they lost the faith when Jocky was sacked and it sure as hell showed that night.

We went down to a meagre 2-1 defeat that could and possibly should have been closer to about 8. Only Dundee match to this day I have ever left early at and whilst I wasn't involved, as I was leaving, I heard fans screaming at each other for their 'lack of support' for leaving the game early.

Worst night ever supporting Dundee. Horrendous.

Not to make it better, but I'm sure that game was 3-0, or 3-1. I'd forgotten there was a game on until my bus was going passed EEP with it all lit up, I presumed it'd be called off. 

26 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Penalties are not a lottery.

What? It finished 2-2 and we won on penalties.

The one at EEP we lost 1-0.

24 minutes ago, All-Star-Par said:

They are.

It finished 1-0 Hearts, El Bak and Connolly with disgraceful misses to level it in the last minute. 

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Not to make it better, but I'm sure that game was 3-0, or 3-1. I'd forgotten there was a game on until my bus was going passed EEP with it all lit up, I presumed it'd be called off. 

Shit, I recall that now! My mistake!

P.S. Penalties are not a lottery.

25 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

This article said it was 2-1 so I just went with it. Tried to burn the game from memory.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/dunfermline-look-for-title-victory-as-tribute-1054818

I find that the sorest ones are where your team are (on paper) the underdogs but are still well within a chance of winning the game. Obviously the most recent example being Celtic away, but also remember games in our League One-winning season against United away in the LC and County at home in the SC particularly hurting.
Games where the team generally just play pish all game against some part-timers don't hurt, they're just absolutely infuriating and fill me with contempt for the team.

20 hours ago, Toby said:

The b*****d also managed it later in the season for Albion Rovers when he scored a 95th minute winner at Cliftonhill in the 6th last game of the season to leave our promotion hopes seemingly in tatters. Thankfully a winning run in the last five, followed by a perfect set of results elsewhere saw us promoted as champions, but I've never been happier to see someone's career come toan end as his. He loved scoring against us, and he loved letting us know how much he loved scoring against us too.

The Albion Rovers goal was the first one that came to mind for me, for all that we ultimately won the league anyway. At the time it felt like there was absolutely no chance and we were done - seven points off top with five games to go, only three off second but with a massively inferior goal difference. Ridiculous to win the league from that position.

41 minutes ago, parxyz said:

I find that the sorest ones are where your team are (on paper) the underdogs but are still well within a chance of winning the game. Obviously the most recent example being Celtic away, but also remember games in our League One-winning season against United away in the LC and County at home in the SC particularly hurting.
Games where the team generally just play pish all game against some part-timers don't hurt, they're just absolutely infuriating and fill me with contempt for the team.

Brian Graham taking Talbots head off right in front of the ref. I'm fuming just picturing this now.

Anyway, Celtic's equaliser in the 04 cup final was a sickener. Felt like that was our chance slipping away.

The first Cowden goal in the playoff final at East End was horrible. Decent atmosphere and a good feeling of optimism then BLAM! Just killed the crowd and Cowden never looked back.

Being a Dundee fan there’s plenty choice but given that I’ve spent my adult life in Aberdeen there is one memory that sticks.

we had raced into a 3-1 lead at pittodrie and my mates on the other side of the fence had left after my old man and I goaded them for most of the game. It was set to be a rare win to enjoy against them up here until they scored 87 then 90+2 and if I remember correctly McGinn also hit the bar after that which would have won them it 4-3 (this may not have happened as I was having a heart attack). It was absolutely sickening and I’m still not over it. The dirty rat Goodwillie on the score sheet for them as well....

the goals we scored in that game were worthy of winning any game! 

Edited by MarbellaDEE

30th November 2016 .

Queens had a away Scots Cup game at Albion Rovers.

Called off on the Saturday the draw was made winners at home to Celtic. 

All was going well 1-1  then last kick ofhe ball Albion score 2-1 Queens out .

The only good thing was we got rid of Jim Thomson as caretaker manager great player but useless manager 

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

30th November 2016 .

The only good thing was we got rid of Jim Thomson as caretaker manager great player but useless manager 

All was going well at 1-1 for about15 minutes.

We'd been trailing 1-0 for most of the match, then seemed to have got out of jail with a late equaliser.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

30th November 2016 .

We were awful that night. All was going well is rose tinted in the extreme. Got a late equaliser and then lost to an Albion Rovers team who had gone down to 10 men a few minutes before. Unforgivable.

9 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

We were awful that night. All was going well is rose tinted in the extreme. Got a late equaliser and then lost to an Albion Rovers team who had gone down to 10 men a few minutes before. Unforgivable.

Someone needs to bookmark this post. It is the first time in living memory the Rev IM Northfield has been accused of a "rose tinted" post!