Sorest Goal to Concede

The second MyPA goal. There was literally no need for it. We were 2-0 up and looking like we would get 5 and everyone in the ground just switched off in the second half.

If I really think about it probs my the Mark Kerr back pass but I would need regression therapy to really unlock how i felt that day.

It was also fairly quickly deleted as we won the Scottish within a year.

15 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Its certainly up there, particularly for the lateness.

For me though the most gutted I have been was probably losing 1-0 to Falkirk in a live tv wind ruined Scottish Cup Q-F at Palmerston a few years back. Friday night game. Craig Sibbald with a really cheap goal in a quite awful game. Falkirk went on to reach the final and possibly should have won it, losing to ICT in the final. Cost us a lot mire than that Celtic game. So Craig Sibbald's goal in that one.

Also honourable mention to Blair Alston's late winner for Falkirk in our Championship play off too, a tie we led 3-1 at one point.

For particular goals to really hurt, they generally need to be late, as they signal no way back.  For that reason, I'd nominate the Falkirk goal in the play-off, rather than the one in the Cup tie the following season. 

Having said that, despite only having elimination confirmed in our one European tie by conceding twice late on, it was the first goal that really scunnered me.

I never thought I'd see Queens play in Europe, but when it arrived, it wasn't much like it should have been.  Firstly, we had to play in Airdrie, which isn't exactly next door.  The journey up involved listening to the radio to see if it was getting called off, due to torrential rain.  Also, at kick-off, loads of fans hadn't yet arrived due to problems on the road.  

All of that contributed to the whole occasion having a flat, disappointing feel.  We then started with a stupid defensive error leading to the immediate concession of a goal.  It was shit.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Against Rangers in the then CIS Cup at Ibrox. 05/06 season. We went behind early and feared/expected a pumping but we managed to equalise at the start of the second half then take the lead with about 15 mins left with a penalty (yes a minnow away side, getting a penalty at Ibrox. It was a stonewaller tbf), only for Paul Jarvie to momumentually f**k up an aimless long ball near enough from the restart, which let Thomas Buffel in to score into the empty net.They went on to win 5-2 in extra time.

The blow was of course softened a few months later when we knocked the other half of Glasgow out the Scottish Cup, before reverting to type and getting humbled by Gretna in a replay the round after.

This one involves Clyde although it wasn't a Clyde game. 2nd last game of 08/09. Clyde v Dundee. Partick Thistle v Airdrie (Utd), We had to win and rely on Airdrie not winning to be still in with a chance of 9th and the play offs, we won 2-0 and Thistle Airdrie was a stalemate till near the close of play when we got notification Airdrie scored. It was the season St Johnstone and Thistle were fighting out the title but I can't remember if Thistle were still in it at this point.

I wasn't at this one but I imagine it would've been a sore one for those that were. Ayr at home in Scottish Cup R5 replay 2016/17. We were having a truly abysmal league campaign that year so the Scottish Cup run was a welcome distraction. We led at Somerset before they equalised to take it to a replay at Broadwood. Ayr scored quite early on and we equalised in the last min to force extra time, at which point I imagine we would've been on a high from the equaliser and confident of going on to win. Think Ayr scored in something like the 117th minute and won 2-1. A Barry Ferguson Clyde side in the Scottish Cup quarter-final would've been quite something.

Against Rangers in the then CIS Cup at Ibrox. 05/06 season. We went behind early and feared/expected a pumping but we managed to equalise at the start of the second half then take the lead with about 15 mins left with a penalty (yes a minnow away side, getting a penalty at Ibrox. It was a stonewaller tbf), only for Paul Jarvie to momumentually f**k up an aimless long ball near enough from the restart, which let Thomas Buffel in to score into the empty net.They went on to win 5-2 in extra time.
The blow was of course softened a few months later when we knocked the other half of Glasgow out the Scottish Cup, before reverting to type and getting humbled by Gretna in a replay the round after.
This one involves Clyde although it wasn't a Clyde game. 2nd last game of 08/09. Clyde v Dundee. Partick Thistle v Airdrie (Utd), We had to win and rely on Airdrie not winning to be still in with a chance of 9th and the play offs, we won 2-0 and Thistle Airdrie was a stalemate till near the close of play when we got notification Airdrie scored. It was the season St Johnstone and Thistle were fighting out the title but I can't remember if Thistle were still in it at this point.
I wasn't at this one but I imagine it would've been a sore one for those that were. Ayr at home in Scottish Cup R5 replay 2016/17. We were having a truly abysmal league campaign that year so the Scottish Cup run was a welcome distraction. We led at Somerset before they equalised to take it to a replay at Broadwood. Ayr scored quite early on and we equalised in the last min to force extra time, at which point I imagine we would've been on a high from the equaliser and confident of going on to win. Think Ayr scored in something like the 117th minute and won 2-1. A Barry Ferguson Clyde side in the Scottish Cup quarter-final would've been quite something.

That game at Somerset was horrific although we would’ve won quite comfortably had it not been for Connor Quinn making I think 2 or 3 world class saves. We took 2 games and penalties to beat Queens Park before it so none of us were entirely surprised how bad we were in the game.

Conceding in the second half or extra time against Celtic away last season was a bit of kick in the stones as penalties are always a lottery. Comparatively the two squads were a universe apart and imagine the scenes if we had knocked them out. 

Still the complete rage towards the Pars fans after the game which seen a balaclava wearing Celtic fan punch a horse and the Twitter outrage after made up for that. Delicious.

12 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

In my comparatively brief time of supporting, probably Harry Forrester scoring 13 seconds into the 2015-16 Scottish Cup QF for Rangers. With the free-scoring squad we had, I really thought we had a solid chance of at least returning to Hampden, and I could have my first visit there to support my club. I had complete belief that we had the better over a Rangers side in the Championship, and that the Scottish Cup dream could continue.

Then Forrester scored.

Immediately I had lost all hope and knew this was just going to be the same hammering as usual. Never since have I felt that genuine belief that we have a shot at the cup.

As for this season, Dobbie's winner 13 seconds after our equaliser was pretty shite.

I remember at kick off some guy behind me started rambling through his bets

"EH'VE GOT 3-0 DUNDEE, 4-0 DUNDEE, HEMMINGS TO SCORE A HAT-TRICK, STEWART TO SCORE A HAT-TRICK, HARKINS TO SCORE A HAT-TRICK" . Don't think we heard another peep out of him.

Played Hearts off the park in the league cup in 2018 and lost the winner 10 minutes before the end. Mind it being a bit of a tough one to take considering how well we'd played.

There haven't been too many failed promotions or relegations that didn't have a sense of inevitability about them, but the goal that springs to mind was from a 1st riound League Cup tie in 2002.

Recently relegated to the Third Division, and the club was making it's first steps in rebuilding with an up and down start to the season, but was drawn at home to then First Division St. Mirren in the first round. A great opportunity to cause an upset, lay down a marker, show we mean business and get the fans right onside with the club. The previous week we'd brought back David Hopkin to much fanfare and there was a genuine sense of optimism.

By half time we were 2-0 up coutresy of Hopkin's opener and a screamer from Scott Bannerman. Hopkin was taken ooff injured at half time, his career was over through injury and Morton being Morton, we of course collapsed, with St. Mirren managing to force extra time and both teams being reduced to ten men.

Step forward the guy who was a joke figure to fans of every other club but always managed to score against us, Mark Yardley, who decided that for three or four seconds he was 1986 Diego Maradona and went on a slaloming run through our defence to score the winner and knock us out the cup.

The b*****d also managed it later in the season for Albion Rovers when he scored a 95th minute winner at Cliftonhill in the 6th last game of the season to leave our promotion hopes seemingly in tatters. Thankfully a winning run in the last five, followed by a perfect set of results elsewhere saw us promoted as champions, but I've never been happier to see someone's career come toan end as his. He loved scoring against us, and he loved letting us know how much he loved scoring against us too.

34 minutes ago, Toby said:

There haven't been too many failed promotions or relegations that didn't have a sense of inevitability about them, but the goal that springs to mind was from a 1st riound League Cup tie in 2002.

Recently relegated to the Third Division, and the club was making it's first steps in rebuilding with an up and down start to the season, but was drawn at home to then First Division St. Mirren in the first round. A great opportunity to cause an upset, lay down a marker, show we mean business and get the fans right onside with the club. The previous week we'd brought back David Hopkin to much fanfare and there was a genuine sense of optimism.

By half time we were 2-0 up coutresy of Hopkin's opener and a screamer from Scott Bannerman. Hopkin was taken ooff injured at half time, his career was over through injury and Morton being Morton, we of course collapsed, with St. Mirren managing to force extra time and both teams being reduced to ten men.

Step forward the guy who was a joke figure to fans of every other club but always managed to score against us, Mark Yardley, who decided that for three or four seconds he was 1986 Diego Maradona and went on a slaloming run through our defence to score the winner and knock us out the cup.

The b*****d also managed it later in the season for Albion Rovers when he scored a 95th minute winner at Cliftonhill in the 6th last game of the season to leave our promotion hopes seemingly in tatters. Thankfully a winning run in the last five, followed by a perfect set of results elsewhere saw us promoted as champions, but I've never been happier to see someone's career come toan end as his. He loved scoring against us, and he loved letting us know how much he loved scoring against us too.

MarkYardley.jpg

The bold Mr Yardley against a young Iain Davidson. I'm glad they put a giant red circle around him, not sure how we'd manage otherwise...

For whatever reason the main one that springs to mind was February 2000 when we were winning 1-0 at home to St Mirren (think we scored with 5 minutes to go) and St Mirren scored 2 goals in the last minute. Don't think I could speak for the rest of the weekend. It's the only game that pops into my head when I think of a game/goal that really hurt. Maybe I was just more a fanatical Rovers supporter when I was in my teens but since then I've seen us get relegated, lose derby games, throw away title winning positions and they never hurt as much as that St Mirren game. I don't even think that St Mirren game had anything on the line for us. Go figure. 

SD and DD have already nominated some strong contenders.  In terms of sore goals to lose though, surely those in a cup final are worthy of inclusion?

You could nominate 2 of the 3 conceded against Rangers in the Scottish Cup Final.  Not much you can say about Boyd's opener, it was a cracking strike, but Beasley's was one of those that if he'd hit it cleanly it gets saved but instead it trundled in and looked to have killed the game making it 2-0, very sore!  We then somehow managed to get ourselves back into the game, only for Boyd to pop up with a free header from a corner, the definitive sucker punch.

I also remember being particularly devastated by David Hutton's howler in the 2010 Challenge Cup final against Ross County.  It was a glorious day, we had a decent crowd up and everything was in place for a great day out and a chance to win a trophy.  Instead the game was over after 9 minutes (I had to look this up, I would have had it as even earlier).

22 minutes ago, Raithie said:

For whatever reason the main one that springs to mind was February 2000 when we were winning 1-0 at home to St Mirren (think we scored with 5 minutes to go) and St Mirren scored 2 goals in the last minute. Don't think I could speak for the rest of the weekend. It's the only game that pops into my head when I think of a game/goal that really hurt. Maybe I was just more a fanatical Rovers supporter when I was in my teens but since then I've seen us get relegated, lose derby games, throw away title winning positions and they never hurt as much as that St Mirren game. I don't even think that St Mirren game had anything on the line for us. Go figure. 

Yeah that was a sore one. We were down to 10 men when we scored as well. I think St Mirren won the league that season but we were on the fringes of the promotion race for a good part of the season.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

For particular goals to really hurt, they generally need to be late, as they signal no way back.  For that reason, I'd nominate the Falkirk goal in the play-off, rather than the one in the Cup tie the following season. 

Having said that, despite only having elimination confirmed in our one European tie by conceding twice late on, it was the first goal that really scunnered me.

I never thought I'd see Queens play in Europe, but when it arrived, it wasn't much like it should have been.  Firstly, we had to play in Airdrie, which isn't exactly next door.  The journey up involved listening to the radio to see if it was getting called off, due to torrential rain.  Also, at kick-off, loads of fans hadn't yet arrived due to problems on the road.  

All of that contributed to the whole occasion having a flat, disappointing feel.  We then started with a stupid defensive error leading to the immediate concession of a goal.  It was shit.

Take the point but I was still gutted by that Q-F defeat. I really thought we were heading back to Hampden that year.

As for the 1st leg of the UEFA tie at Airdrie, I was dealing with ticketing stuff up to kick off an beyond and it was a good 5 mins in or something before I got to my seat. I'd been watching for about 10 minutes before someone said something and I realised we were one down! Didn't even know. There was no away support to cheer so I simply hadn't heard it inside the stadium at the time. I think we were almost level before I knew we were behind.

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I was at that Queens European game at Airdrie and it was an absolute farce. Should never have been on.

Absolutely not. It was completely unplayable and the ball holding up in the water. I think from memory when I eventually saw it back it played a part in the first goal too. Typical of European games that despite their high profile, the complication of extending stays / returning to play sometimes means they are played in conditions that a League game never would. No chance that game would have gone ahead if it had been a League game at Airdrie that night.

7 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

SD and DD have already nominated some strong contenders.  In terms of sore goals to lose though, surely those in a cup final are worthy of inclusion?

You could nominate 2 of the 3 conceded against Rangers in the Scottish Cup Final.  Not much you can say about Boyd's opener, it was a cracking strike, but Beasley's was one of those that if he'd hit it cleanly it gets saved but instead it trundled in and looked to have killed the game making it 2-0, very sore!  We then somehow managed to get ourselves back into the game, only for Boyd to pop up with a free header from a corner, the definitive sucker punch.

I also remember being particularly devastated by David Hutton's howler in the 2010 Challenge Cup final against Ross County.  It was a glorious day, we had a decent crowd up and everything was in place for a great day out and a chance to win a trophy.  Instead the game was over after 9 minutes (I had to look this up, I would have had it as even earlier).

Yeah, fair comment. The first Boyd goal was unstoppable but it was a very soft free kick. Agree entirely about Beasley's goal. If he had hit it properly MacDonald probably blocks it but he didn't and it trundled under the keeper's spread.

I also agree on the Ross County Challenge Cup one. Killed the whole game and we never looked like getting back into it as much as we huffed and puffed.

Not so much a goal - but a game.

Dunfermline vs Dundee - Tuesday night game, 2010.

We were in freefall. We'd got rid of Jocky and brought Gordon Chisholm in. He'd basically attacked the squad saying they weren't fit enough and basically slandered Jocky's management of the squad. There were some salacious rumours coming out about Jocky's sacking from him being told just before kick-off against Airdrie (The game many used as a justification for him losing the dressing room) that he'd been sacked. Any way, it was a shite state of affairs and to this day I believe Jocky would have carried us over the line that season or at least deserved the opportunity to try and do so.

Away from what was turning into a ramble - The night was pissing down, it was freezing and Dundee just didn't turn up. Ben Hutchinson (One of the worst strikers we've ever had) was involved in a freak collision with Greg Paterson resulting in him breaking his leg. The crack was audible from the other side of the stadium. Hutchinson was noticeably affected and had to be subbed at HT.

Pretty sure Gordon Chisholm made 3 subs at HT due to the terrible display. Players from that team have since admitted that Chisholm and Dodds didn't have a clue and that they lost the faith when Jocky was sacked and it sure as hell showed that night.

We went down to a meagre 2-1 defeat that could and possibly should have been closer to about 8. Only Dundee match to this day I have ever left early at and whilst I wasn't involved, as I was leaving, I heard fans screaming at each other for their 'lack of support' for leaving the game early.

Worst night ever supporting Dundee. Horrendous.

50 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah that was a sore one. We were down to 10 men when we scored as well. I think St Mirren won the league that season but we were on the fringes of the promotion race for a good part of the season.

Was Alex Burns not down with concussion when St Mirren went up the park and scored their 2nd?

Going for the league, up against a shite Clyde team. As you can see, the quality was fucking horrendous. It was absolutely fucking baltic and towards the end I resigned myself to "It's 2 points dropped but it could be worse". Then it got worse. Dougie Imrie crosses to absolutely naecunt and Paul Dixon puts the ball in his own teams pokey in the 91st minute I think it was. 
Dundee 0 - 1 Clyde. 
Biylin. 

Christ. That was brutal.

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

That was the game that sprang to mind when I read this thread too, well that an the dirty celtic winner in the league Cup in 95/96 that's already been mentioned. 

It was an absolutely sickening defeat. I can remember that Junior Mendes winner better than any other goal that season. He used to always score against us. 

There was a huge St mirren support that day and the scenes when he scored is i think what must make it stick in the memory. Was a good goal too. 

Sorest moment supporting the Rovers though has to be full time in the 0-0 last game of season with Alloa