2020/21 League Cup

6 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I think that's actually changing this year, top 4 and both cup winners get Europe from what I'd read. Scotland gained an extra European place and there's the new UEFA Conference League.

Willing to be corrected but I don't think that's right. We'll have 5 spots instead of 4 which will be filled by the top 4 plus the Scottish cup winner. With presumably 5th place becoming a European slot if the cup winner is already qualified.

Can they not balance out the groups s bit more so you don't get three teams from the same bloody league in one group.  You're playing these sides 3 times minimum already this season.so surely can't be beyond the powers that be to try and keep them apart a bit more.

If you hadn’t fucked up the league last year mate, then you wouldn’t be in the same league as them tbh

32 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

When are the fixtures released?

According to the SPFL website the dates for the upcoming fixtures are as follows:

Matchday one October 6th

Matchday two October 10th 

Matchday three October 13th

Matchday four November 10th

Matchday five November 14th

Hopefully we can have some fans in the stadiums for the November games at least, but it'll remain to be seen. If we follow a similar approach to Germany then there'll be no away fans.

20 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

How? We’re back in stadiums for September 17th?

Aberdeen has had to go back into lockdown because of people going to the pub. Not a chance away fans will be going to matches from September.

Hearts, ICT and Cowden. Again.

Groundhog Day! I think I’m coming to realise why they binned the group stages back in the day. They’re shit. Hopefully they go back to a straight knockout competition soon.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Third year in a row against Raith for us and the third year in five we will face Cowdenbeath. Yawn.

Exactly. Well, I’m more ‘groan‘ than ‘yawn’ but that’s just a different flavour of negative response to the group stage format.

1 minute ago, gogsy said:

CGM] [CINE] Not sure if serious [MEME] | not my picture | James ...

Im sure he means excellent away days in the same way as Ayr in the Scottish cup was in February, in that is was somewhere we have not been in a while and in these two teams cases not played in a competitive fixture. (Could we have played Peterhead a long time ago in the Scottish cup?)

The only way to avoid the same groups coming out every year would be to split the unseeded teams into pots based on the year before draw.

You would then have seed 1 , seed 2 and then 4 group pots of unseeded teams both north and south but thats probably too complex . it could be taken even further with UEFA style, they cannot play no 1 seed as they were in their group last year but thats really not needed. 

I assume the only change next year will be 1 more team from the highland or lowland league will get in and only 3 runner up spots with 5 teams in Europe. The top 3 group winners from the first stage will then be seeded with the European teams in round 2.

The last 16 should have been played by now as well, it shows how different this season is. 

Three League Two teams in Group F, none in Group E.  Two Premiership teams in Group A. None in Group C.

Literally no idea why they base the seeding on the previous season, it just allows stupid scenarios like above.

Fair to say our involvement won't last long! 

Any idea exactly how many TV games there will be??

Guessing at:

Our trip to Easter Road, Fermers v DABS, Hearts v ICT & St Mirren v Morton for definite, as well as something random like Alloa v Airdrie. Not sure what else. Maybe something involving Patrick???