2020/21 League Cup

I see England have pushed back the date for their league cup final to April in the hope more fans will be able to attend. Wonder if we could go down the same route and with the teams left it could possibly be played around the same time as the Scottish Cup final right at the end of the season

27 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I see England have pushed back the date for their league cup final to April in the hope more fans will be able to attend. Wonder if we could go down the same route and with the teams left it could possibly be played around the same time as the Scottish Cup final right at the end of the season

It did occur to me last midweek given none are still in Europe. You could even play SFs in April - Final in May. Indeed with Scottish Cup Final being 'early' to free-up Hampden for Euros it could've become season "curtain fall".

32 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

That's a good idea, which automatically rules it out by the SPFL.

• 1 month later...

Interesting that the top seeds from both North & South (excluding euro teams) got to the final!

I assume the only shuffle needed from last season is to account for the south side losing a team (Berwick Rangers), because Kilmarnock will simply replace Motherwell. 
Under normal circumstances, I'd have expected them to push Stenhousemuir into the South, but I wonder if they might move Hearts instead so that every group has a Premiership team and, perhaps more importantly, there's no group that has two? That would give (assuming I've got this right):
North
Top seeds
St Johnstone
Hibernian
Ross County
Dundee Utd

Second seeds
Inverness CT
Dundee
Arbroath
Alloa Athletic

Unseeded

Raith Rovers
Montrose
East Fife
Peterhead
Forfar Athletic
Cove Rangers
Elgin City
Cowdenbeath
Stirling Albion
Stenhousemuir
Brechin City
Brora Rangers

South

Top seeds
Livingston
Kilmarnock
St Mirren
Hamilton

Second Seeds

Hearts
Ayr Utd
Dunfermline Athletic
Greenock Morton

Unseeded
Queen of the South
Partick Thistle
Falkirk
Airdrie
Dumbarton
Clyde
Stranraer
Edinburgh City
Queen's Park
Annan Athletic
Albion Rovers
Kelty Hearts

If they do move Stenhousemuir, then Hearts go into the top seeds of the North, displacing Dundee Utd into the second, and Alloa into unseeded; the south would see Queen of the South move into the second seeds.
Edit: of course, if they did move Hearts then the obvious accusations would come pouring out of Tynecastle...

• 1 month later...

Neither of those answers are clear at the moment. The Betfred deal was extended until "at least the end of 2020/21", and there has been nothing confirmed about the schedule. The format will have to change slightly with 5 teams being in Europe, but it could just be a simple change or something more wide-ranging.

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Neither of those answers are clear at the moment. The Betfred deal was extended until "at least the end of 2020/21", and there has been nothing confirmed about the schedule. The format will have to change slightly with 5 teams being in Europe, but it could just be a simple change or something more wide-ranging.

Easiest way would be to just let in 1 extra non league team & keep same format except only 3 best runners up get through?

Easiest way would be to just let in 1 extra non league team & keep same format except only 3 best runners up get through?

Yes, although there's the slight extra complication of not necessarily having an easy way to pick which three.

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, although there's the slight extra complication of not necessarily having an easy way to pick which three.

Challenge Cup had a preliminary round in 18/19 involving the 3rd/4th in HL/LL, so could do a play-off with 2nd from each - though it would really need to be at the end of the previous season given how early the draw and fixtures are.

4 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Challenge Cup had a preliminary round in 18/19 involving the 3rd/4th in HL/LL, so could do a play-off with 2nd from each - though it would really need to be at the end of the previous season given how early the draw and fixtures are.

2013-14 Challenge Cup also had an earlier play-in series between EoS and SoS Champions to decide who entered the First Round proper.

It's not just how early, it's the North/South seeding of them since it's most likely they would be in different regions. In a normal year you could perhaps reward the league that wins the HL/LL portion of the play-off the 3rd spot.

Especially as their league champion could be promoted and Club 42 relegated to the other league. Which would would mean no representation in the League Cup.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

My point was more specific to next season, where we almost certainly won't have any Highland League champions and there's a decent chance we won't have any Lowland League champions either.

Thanks for your input, fellas.

I'm really hoping to be able to come up and see some games.

Did Dundee United, St. Johnstone, Elgin and Motherwell last time.

The season before, around Burnley's trip to Aberdeen, we visited Arbroath and saw Livingston vs Berwick Rangers at Linlithgow Rose's ground.

Keen to get some more grounds ticked off. In the dim and distant past, have visited Berwick, Queen of the South, Hamilton, Ayr United, Stenhousemuir and Scotland vs Faroes Islands at Celtic Park.

Not too bad, really... 🙂

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, barnseytheclaret said:

I take it that the cup is due to be running again in July!

Is it anticipated that fans will be admitted to these games, would you think?

Hoping to get up for some games in MD3, 4 and 5, and spend about a week camping in East Scotland...fingers crossed!

Yes,  see dates. https://spfl.co.uk/news/start-dates-for-202122#:~:text=Season%202021%2F22%20will%20begin,21%20and%20July%2024%2F25.

With Hampden confirmed as 12000 capacity for the euros and talk by Jason Leitch that they will look to gets fans to some extent at some matches before that  I'd be pretty confident that fans will be at the league cup games,

Those crowds might be severely restricted and I wouldn't be surprised for some matches not to have ability to accept walk up fans, but if your flexible with your games I'd think you'll be able to attend some.

Edited by parsforlife

On 08/04/2021 at 20:48, parsforlife said:

Yes,  see dates. https://spfl.co.uk/news/start-dates-for-202122#:~:text=Season%202021%2F22%20will%20begin,21%20and%20July%2024%2F25.

With Hampden confirmed as 12000 capacity for the euros and talk by Jason Leitch that they will look to gets fans to some extent at some matches before that  I'd be pretty confident that fans will be at the league cup games,

Those crowds might be severely restricted and I wouldn't be surprised for some matches not to have ability to accept walk up fans, but if your flexible with your games I'd think you'll be able to attend some.

Good to know, thanks. Hopefully won't be "walk up" for (m)any, as sorting a holiday with three kids out is like herding cats! LOL!