2020/21 League Cup

Would Kelty be in the NE region for this? They play out the same way as Dunfermline and Cowden who are always in NE, but with Brora obviously being in that section too I wonder if they'll put Kelty in SW or change a team that were NE last season to SW this.

edit - regions don't usually bother me, but the thought of getting Barry Fergusons mob and them beating us isn't a pleasant one.

Edited by C. Muir

52 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Would Kelty be in the NE region for this? They play out the same way as Dunfermline and Cowden who are always in NE, but with Brora obviously being in that section too I wonder if they'll put Kelty in SW or change a team that were NE last season to SW this.

edit - regions don't usually bother me, but the thought of getting Barry Fergusons mob and them beating us isn't a pleasant one.

We actually ended up playing St Mirren last year so the regional pots are hazy at best.

The group stages are barely more than slightly better pre-season games normally and they’ll mean even less this year. Just a chance to get some match fitness with positive results a nice bonus.

If I’ve worked it out correctly these will be the pots

Top seeds

North, 

St Johnstone ,ross county, Hibs, hearts

South

Killie, St mirren, Hamilton, livi

2nd seeds

North

Dundee, Dundee united, ICT, arbroath

South

dunfermline, Ayr, Morton, Alloa

Unseeded

North

Elgin, Peterhead, Forfar, East fife, Montrose, Raith rovers, Brora, Cove, Cowdenbeath, Brechin, Strirling. Kelty. 

South

Queen of the south, Partick, Stranraer, Clyde, Dumbarton, Airdrie, Annan, Albion Rovers, Queens Park, Edinburgh City, Falkirk. Stenny.

Potentially a swap of Kelty and Stenny to keep the non-league teams in separate regions.

For us there’s really not much appealing games,  the top seeds are all very meh,  we’ve not played Killie for the longest so maybe them but they are probably going to be one of the toughest to take points from.

From the unseeded teams. I’d be  happy to have Falkirk and if Kelty do play in the south then I’d like to play them.  Probably take Annan from the rest as it holds the most appeal as an away game. (Hopefully by that point away fans can go to games, particularly if we played them in the 2nd batch of games) 

Generally we absolutely must avoid partick and queen of the south.  They would be horrendous games to have.

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

We actually ended up playing St Mirren last year so the regional pots are hazy at best.

The group stages are barely more than slightly better pre-season games normally and they’ll mean even less this year. Just a chance to get some match fitness with positive results a nice bonus.

Didnt realise that last year. Was that a first I take it? As I've always remembered the Pars being in the North section. 

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

If I’ve worked it out correctly these will be the pots

Top seeds

North, 

St Johnstone ,ross county, Hibs, hearts

South

Killie, St mirren, Hamilton, livi

2nd seeds

North

Dundee, Dundee united, ICT, arbroath

South

dunfermline, Ayr, Morton, Alloa

Unseeded

North

Elgin, Peterhead, Forfar, East fife, Montrose, Raith rovers, Brora, Cove, Cowdenbeath, Brechin, Strirling. Kelty. 

South

Queen of the south, Partick, Stranraer, Clyde, Dumbarton, Airdrie, Annan, Albion Rovers, Queens Park, Edinburgh City, Falkirk. Stenny.

Potentially a swap of Kelty and Stenny to keep the non-league teams in separate regions.

Possibly Alloa moved to unseeded North, QOS into 2nd seeds South with Kelty taking the extra South place? 

If your workings are correct I'd probably want St Mirren from the top seeds as we've not played them competitively for a while. (Already played Killie twice and Accies in the group stage of this and Livi is a grim fixture). Not arsed about the rest apart from it would be nice to avoid teams in the same division as us from the unseeded lot, although maintaining bitch status over Falkirk nice and early in the season would be quite amusing.

Edited by C. Muir

Possibly Alloa moved to unseeded North, QOS into 2nd seeds South with Kelty taking the extra South place? 
If your workings are correct I'd probably want St Mirren from the top seeds as we've not played them competitively for a while. (Already played Killie twice and Accies in the group stage of this and Livi is a grim fixture). Not arsed about the rest apart from it would be nice to avoid teams in the same division as us from the unseeded lot, although maintaining bitch status over Falkirk nice and early in the season would be quite amusing.
The seedings are worked out before the regionalisation so Alloa and QoS wouldn't be moved like that.

6 hours ago, C. Muir said:

The changes from last year would be,  Dundee becoming 2nd seeds,  Ross county now 1st seeds in the north.  Killie taking a 1st seed in place of Motherwell in the south with the change in who is playing in Europe.    

Importantly in terms of regions Arbroath now a 2nd seed instead of Partick,  So Alloa move south.  In the unseeded section Berwick and East Kilbride are replaced by Brora and Kelty.  So region change for stenny possible unless they deliberately keep Brora and Kelty apart.

Dick Campbell admitted he has used this competition as a part of his pre season the last few seasons as he believes it starts to early. I wonder if he will now take it more seriously as we will be into the season for a few of the match days

49 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Dick Campbell admitted he has used this competition as a part of his pre season the last few seasons as he believes it starts to early. I wonder if he will now take it more seriously as we will be into the season for a few of the match days

Only the last two, not the first three. I think it will be far less likely there will be top division sides shocked this year if they take it seriously given they'll have had two full months match practice and it's a pre-season match for lower division sides.

The lower division sides who get to miss one of the first three matchdays will also get an advantage over those who miss one of the last two as they'll play one less game as part of pre-season and one more after a month of competitive football. You'd imagine any Championship side who manages to get their bye week in Round 1, 2 or 3 should have a good chance of getting a runner up spot.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Given they’ll be no fans I think any derby loses a bit of meaning so I’d rather we saved a match against Kilmarnock for next season or later in the SC when fans might be able to get back.

With the difference in preparation there's also a significant chance of the Premiership sides handing out pumpings, so I'd rather avoid St Mirren as well. Although as Swello covered, at least we can't have our routine drubbing at Fir Park.

Literally can't think of a single team in the lower leagues pot that I'd want to play. No teams in league 2 please, Kelty would be a nightmare and we'd get thrashed of Forfar, East Fife, Montrose, Raith or Cove.

Can't wait :lol: