Most cretinous social media platforms

DA Baracus

53 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Following on from the hoary old "guns don't kill people - people do" adage, social media is invariably pretty cretinous because so many people are cretins. As has been said their platform of choice seems to be defined by what manner of cretin they are:

LinkedIn: Office drones that think they have a "career" Carry briefcase into work every day containing Daily Record and packet of pieces.

Facebook: Exclusively populated by those people you knew way back when but didn't care enough about to keep in touch with.

Instagram: Basic "Hiiiii-yaaaaa!" lassies obsessively documenting mundanity.

Snapchat: Social media's softplay area...anyone over 30 using it is probably OFTW.

TikTok: See Snapchat, but newer.

Twitter: Must admit I don't actively use it, but it's worthwhile to watch public unravellings such as whatever insanity has emitted from Trump that day and so on.

Yup. I own a Facebook which I rarely (if ever) frequent and Twitter which is good as long as you don't go down the rabbit hole of arguing with the puddle drinkers for too long. It has legitimately opened my eyes to just how entrenched people are in their opinions and unwilling to entertain differing points of view.

Everything else? I mean I signed up fro instagram but have never actually used it. I'm not really a 'documenting my life via pictures' type of person anyway so it's lost on me.

Snapchat and Tiktok...nah. I agree, it's too much like kids stuff.

LInkedIn - I have a page but have forgotten my password and so haven't updated it in over seven years.

Facebook - I find it useful for posting photos of my son for family who live abroad.  Using it for anything else is really a waste of time.

Instagram - I quite like it tbh, I mainly follow people I know or specific accounts dealing with things I'm interested in.

Twitter - There are big upsides for Twitter - I follow a lot of accounts that link to interesting content and articles, it's good for keeping up to date with things like Caley, as I live away from Inverness and it can be quite funny.  Downsides are probably equal or more - the hysterical content that makes up a lot of the website, horrible trolling, people trying to be funny but failing.  I also think trying to "debate" people on there is a complete waste of time.  

Snapchat / TikTok - They are for children, leave it for them.

15 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:
  1. LinkedIn - A haven for absolute nobodies trying to convince no one in particular that "they're a pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory". 
  2. TikTok - Utterly pointless shite 
  3. Instagram - Full of "influencers" who appear to people with filtered to f**k photos begging free stuff. Shite. 
  4. Snapchat - Last years's TikTok. 
  5. Facebook - The only good thing about it is the ease with which you can trigger gammons and enjoy their meltdowns and threats in a decent layout

I'm giving you a greenie for the Simpsons reference.

Only one I’ve ever used is Facebook.
Useful for keeping track of family (not that there’s any left alive now), friends and former students without having to give a shit about time zones

17 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Twitter - There are big upsides for Twitter - I follow a lot of accounts that link to interesting content and articles, it's good for keeping up to date with things like Caley, as I live away from Inverness and it can be quite funny.  Downsides are probably equal or more - the hysterical content that makes up a lot of the website, horrible trolling, people trying to be funny but failing.  I also think trying to "debate" people on there is a complete waste of time.  

Quite often when I look for someone to argue with over a topic I’m interested in I don’t get a response but a couple of times I have been absolutely descended on for throwaway comments which I wasn’t taking seriously. One was with Scottish tories from an account who’s tweets have been shown on here from a truly awful individual and the other was a month or so ago discussing the Madeline McCann case. The McCann one was just someone I follow liking a status and I basically responded with “the parents weren’t responsible get a grip you absolute fantasist” and I was completely hounded for it. Every post I made defending the parents would get 20+ replies and each of those replies would be liked/retweeted so my phone would be having 50-60 notifications every time I checked it, it was crazy. Despite being on the receiving end of torrents of abuse of was them who ended up blocking me. Thinking back it was an experience that I wouldn’t change for the world.

They are all cretinous in their own way tbh. 

1) LinkedIn. Full of pretenders, really, and also a goldmine of *didn't happen" inspirational stories. Useful if you're looking for a new job however. 

2) Twitter. I do like Twitter and find it genuinely useful, but it's by far the worst for tedious idiots who are wedded to a single cause and seem to spend their entire day venting their spleen about it. Your standard garden idiot thinks this makes them a campaigner or part of a movement when most of it is just throwing muck and or abuse at people. ICTChris is spot on about the futility of debate on there as well. 

On a sadder note, there are a lot of people on there who are in a perma meltdown. They are probably not very well mentally and seem to have no idea of it. It's depressing to see. 

3) Facebook. The look at me and u OK ***? Type stuff seems to have largely died a death, but all it is now is reposts of Lad Bible stuff or those disgusting food creations with about thirty ingredients chucked together, to which some twat on your friends list tags their partner in with the 'lovehearts for eyes' emoji. 

4) Instagram. The ultimate fakery and utter bullshit, populated by utter w****r 'influencers' and wannabe influencers. Probably also a big contributory factor in the nation's deteriorating mental health. 

5) TikTok/Snapchat. Grandpa Simpson picture incoming here, but I just don't understand these. Anyone who isn't a teenager and is on these is probably a nonce. 

Edited by Michael W

21 minutes ago, Michael W said:

On a sadder note, there are a lot of people on there who are in a perma meltdown. They are probably not very well mentally and seem to have no idea of it. It's depressing to see. 

I've seen people talk about how social media has allowed people with high verbal intelligence but also personality disorders to have a huge voice.  I genuinely think that there are quite a few deeply damanged people who are prominent users of Twitter.  

All the cool kids say that Instagram is the place to be, but it seems pish to me.

Facebook does seem to be losing its grip on folk.

I deleted a guy recently as he was posting about "the fucking blacks" - Rangers fan, coincidentally. ;)

Edited by paranoid android

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I've seen people talk about how social media has allowed people with high verbal intelligence but also personality disorders to have a huge voice.  I genuinely think that there are quite a few deeply damanged people who are prominent users of Twitter.  

People who take their twitter accounts seriously are more OFTW than the trolls. 

22 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Yup. I own a Facebook which I rarely (if ever) frequent and Twitter which is good as long as you don't go down the rabbit hole of arguing with the puddle drinkers for too long. It has legitimately opened my eyes to just how entrenched people are in their opinions and unwilling to entertain differing points of view.

Everything else? I mean I signed up fro instagram but have never actually used it. I'm not really a 'documenting my life via pictures' type of person anyway so it's lost on me.

Snapchat and Tiktok...nah. I agree, it's too much like kids stuff.

fetchimage.jpg.a15e23f2259a665d0b3496cf1939c15c.jpg

How do you do, fellow kid! I also own a Facebook.

Do you also have a MySpace?

On 20/07/2020 at 08:31, djchapsticks said:

Twitter is fantastic for outing the absolute dregs of society. Amazing how many folk, after it being on the go for 12 years, still think that they are anonymously firing their opinions out.

Facebook is also long since dead. Nearly exclusively used by yer ma.

Can't find the tweet but I'm always reminded of the guy who posted "What age is it birds became a maw who asks stuff on Facebook you could find out from Google? What time does ASDA close?" and that sort of pish.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

People who take their twitter accounts seriously are more OFTW than the trolls. 

What's more worrying is the reliance of the Beeb, Sky and other news outlets framing their reports on how events are being treated on Twitter. Fucking scary times, man.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I'm such an old c**t. :lol: 

Club. Join.

I'll stick to P&B, and other forums or Anti-Social Media as they should be called.

LinkedIn:
I can personally attest that LinkedIn is helpful when job hunting. Once you're employed, it should be put into hibernation.

Instagram:
I have very few real life friends on Instagram but I follow a number of photographers and travel themed posters. I enjoy it but just for scrolling through, not posting on.

Facebook:
I still keep my account active but it's only because we have a few private family pages and it's a good way to keep up with my nephews, nieces and their assorted kids. Looking at the things some of my 'friends' post, makes me despair for the future.

Twitter:
Created an account years ago; have never posted on it and on the very rare occasions I glance in, I only last a couple of minutes.

TikTok/SnapChat:
Nah. No Country for Old Men.

P&B:
I need it more than oxygen.

6 hours ago, RiG said:

Can't find the tweet but I'm always reminded of the guy who posted "What age is it birds became a maw who asks stuff on Facebook you could find out from Google? What time does ASDA close?" and that sort of pish.

I once called someone out on that when they tweeted "When is the Champions League Final?".  They replied they wouldn't be Googling it as they "like to communicate". :rolleyes: