Most cretinous social media platforms

DA Baracus

1. Tik Tok. Easily the most cretinous, by far. I hope the number of stupid 'challenges' like the 'Fire Challenge' increases and a load of users are Darwined off.

2. Facebook. You've been on a run? You had a drink? You're a mad racist? The world definitely needs to know these things. 

3. Instagram. How to ruin pretty much any social occasion. You're staging your life, not living it. 

4. Twitter. Probably the quickest way to destroy your career, reputation, relationships and life in general.

5. Snapchat. Be thankful that the cringeworthy, unfunny, unoriginal shite you make is only viewable for a short period of time.

I'm full on Principal Skinner "no, it's the children who are out of touch" mode at this point and don't have any accounts on any of those! Used to have a Facebook but deactivated it, haven't missed it.

Not on Twitter but afaik I think it's one of the better ones if you follow decent accounts and just avoid posting through it, have certainly found some value in good Twitter posts that have been linked to from P&B.

Not mentioned and not really a social media platform but WhatsApp is decent, only got it relatively recently (within the last 18 months I would guess) but have used it a fair bit in that time. If anyone is in a similar boat to me and starting to feel absolute terror at falling out of touch with the kids and their hula hoops and Pac Man video games, WhatsApp is nonetheless worth getting used to.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Deliberately stopped using Facebook for a month and it seems to have broken the spell. Now I only check it once every month or so in case someone interesting is trying to get in touch. Less screen time improve s wellbeing for sure.

23 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

Deliberately stopped using Facebook for a month and it seems to have broken the spell. Now I only check it once every month or so in case someone interesting is trying to get in touch. Less screen time improve s wellbeing for sure.

I come away from it for about 18 month. Great Times. Started one back up as I get clothes cheaper than the stores can possibly sell them. Bit by bit I keep finding myself looking at the old shit that made me leave. 

4 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Disagree. It was a excellent way to receive naked pictures of the opposite sex.

And then plead for another 2 as you blinked and lost a second of those pert breeests. 

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

1. Tik Tok. Easily the most cretinous, by far. I hope the number of stupid 'challenges' like the 'Fire Challenge' increases and a load of users are Darwined off.

2. Facebook. You've been on a run? You had a drink? You're a mad racist? The world definitely needs to know these things. 

3. Instagram. How to ruin pretty much any social occasion. You're staging your life, not living it. 

4. Twitter. Probably the quickest way to destroy your career, reputation, relationships and life in general.

5. Snapchat. Be thankful that the cringeworthy, unfunny, unoriginal shite you make is only viewable for a short period of time.

Bubbling under: P&B.....

Twitter is what you make it really.  It's not Twitter that ruins careers, it's the morons themselves who ruin it.  If you don't follow or communicate with idiots it can be great. 

I know some people seem to be constantly going on about trolling and pile-ons but usually not following, reacting and replying to idiots is a good start.

Edited by Highland Capital

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Facebook doesn't allocated you random folk to be friends with. If your news feed is taken up by shite like this maybe you need better pals.

33 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Facebook doesn't allocated you random folk to be friends with. If your news feed is taken up by shite like this maybe you need better pals.

Disagree, Facebook turns some people into morons trying to conform.

Once away from it they’re ok. There’s a documentary I posted up on the Facebook thread. 
Basically whatever gets likes and replies will be repeated, most of the time it’s just daft stuff. It gets you hooked, there’s science behind what they’re doing they want you to be addicted to it and they don’t care what the content is. Social conditioning on a massive scale.

Or it’s just some memes maybe?

LinkedIn - gimps. 

Facebook - overcrowded space of gimps you used to know but don't really anymore. 

Instagram - hot tub gimps. 

Twitter - the tough one - I've had it since 2009 so I'm on a good run, it's all set up as I like, I've got stuff I don't want to see (e.g. rugby or racists) blocked and phrases/hashtags muted so they don't appear, people who post good stuff but retweet a load of shite you can turn it off.  I am pretty happy with it.  It's far from perfect and if I was signing up today and exposed to everything on there without anything listed above I'd probably only last a few days now and just patch it. 

1. LinkedIn - A haven for absolute nobodies trying to convince no one in particular that "they're a pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory". 
  2. TikTok - Utterly pointless shite 
  3. Instagram - Full of "influencers" who appear to people with filtered to f**k photos begging free stuff. Shite. 
  4. Snapchat - Last years's TikTok. 
  5. Facebook - The only good thing about it is the ease with which you can trigger gammons and enjoy their meltdowns and threats in a decent layout

Twitter is fantastic for outing the absolute dregs of society. Amazing how many folk, after it being on the go for 12 years, still think that they are anonymously firing their opinions out.

Facebook is also long since dead. Nearly exclusively used by yer ma.

3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:
  • LinkedIn - A haven for absolute nobodies trying to convince no one in particular that "they're a pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory". 
  • Facebook - The only good thing about it is the ease with which you can trigger gammons and enjoy their meltdowns and threats in a decent layout

I had to join LinkedIn for work reasons but happily never have to use it. However, I do enjoy reading the postings of jumped up nobodies trying to give the impression that they are leaders of industry. Some of the pretence and bulls@it is quite funny.

I used to consider Facebook as just a forum for posting what you had for tea, where you went on holiday or how wonderful your kids are but in the past year of so I've come to consider it as the root of all evil.

26 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

TikTok just seems to be full of birds arses and tits from what i can see after 28 hours straight research.

What's your point caller?

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

TikTok just seems to be full of birds arses and tits from what i can see after 28 hours straight research.

I now have a Leslie Philips voice in my head:

leslie-phillips-a040fef0-0b6e-4b8b-ab86-75cf1fddf08-resize-750.jpeg.85f63655a1fc227bf527ca51c5bbff5c.jpeg

well, tick..tock.... 

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Twitter is fantastic for outing the absolute dregs of society. Amazing how many folk, after it being on the go for 12 years, still think that they are anonymously firing their opinions out.

Facebook is also long since dead. Nearly exclusively used by yer ma.

Facebook is less popular because Instagram is a better app for sharing photos and twitter is better for spouting shite and arguing with folk without fear of repercussions IRL. It’s still useful for community pages, buy and sell stuff and searching in old friends and what not but I don’t see why people get so controversial and political on it when they can easily make up a twitter account and go all out without anyone knowing them they are.

Twitter is great if you follow the right handles but it always baffles me how seriously some users take it considering most active accounts are either anonymous trolls or bots. It’s quite blatantly not a place to be taken seriously or respected which is why there are so many piss takers on there so it’s best just to act accordingly. George Galloway is a prime example of someone who takes it far too seriously and should be relentlessly trolled at every opportunity .

Following on from the hoary old "guns don't kill people - people do" adage, social media is invariably pretty cretinous because so many people are cretins. As has been said their platform of choice seems to be defined by what manner of cretin they are:

LinkedIn: Office drones that think they have a "career" Carry briefcase into work every day containing Daily Record and packet of pieces.

Facebook: Exclusively populated by those people you knew way back when but didn't care enough about to keep in touch with.

Instagram: Basic "Hiiiii-yaaaaa!" lassies obsessively documenting mundanity.

Snapchat: Social media's softplay area...anyone over 30 using it is probably OFTW.

TikTok: See Snapchat, but newer.

Twitter: Must admit I don't actively use it, but it's worthwhile to watch public unravellings such as whatever insanity has emitted from Trump that day and so on.

Edited by Hillonearth