What do you still own?

Homer Thompson

I know we've done lists of consoles/computers that people have had, but inspired by the general gaming thread, I thought we should find out what people still actually own. My list should be much longer but I was "persuaded" to get rid of almost all my old stuff some years ago by my now ex :(

Still in my possession are :

• Amiga 1200
  • XBOX 360
  • Gamecube
  • Wii
  • WiiU
  • PS4
  • Switch

Amiga 600, Sega Megadrive, SNES, Playstations 1 & 2, Xbox original and 360, Wii, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Game Boy original, Color, and Advance, GP2X...there's probably more. I don't use any of them, just holding on to them in case I ever go back to selling retro games. Which I probably should do, as I've got a room full of them.

I'm by no means a purist, so I'll happily bust out the emulators when I want some retro magic for myself. That's still the best thing about playing games on a PC.

SAFETY TIP: apparently the components in power supplies have a thirty-year lifespan (if you're lucky; there were apparently a lot of low-quality components being used in power supplies during the late Nineties), so if your retro gaming machine is approaching that age, you should look into having them replaced. When the capacitors start failing, they can take the sensitive custom chips with them, making your precious console/computer unfixable without cannibalising another machine.

This is obviously going to become more of an issue as time goes on. I think my Amiga 600 cost me £30 years ago, but Amiga prices are starting to approach the levels you'd have paid for one back in the Nineties, and will only keep going up. Spending £50 to keep them functioning seems a good investment now.

Alright, that's Yer Da finished for the day. Go about your business.

Being an idiot, I sold all my old Atari STs years ago, and this retro talk has given me a passing fancy to own one again. Not really to use, as ST emulation is pretty solid, but it would be nice to have. A needful thing, I suppose.

Looks like it would now cost me about as much to buy a knackered old second-hand ST as it did to buy one brand-new back in the early Nineties (hundreds of pounds). By way of comparison, in 1996 I picked up a brand-new, still in box ST from a charity shop in Perth for £30, which was a fair price. I cannot for the life of me explain why I gave that away. Now I'm sad.

I also see that the notorious Atari Jaguar will get you about £500 if you've got one to sell. Back in 1996, Hamleys were selling their inventory off for £20, with a few games thrown in to sweeten the deal. OMFG.

PS1, several PS2s, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Sega Megadrive, N64 and probably more in storage really can't remember them all.

Always wanted something coin ops for the house, time crisis or something.

Ps1, ps2, psp
Xbox 360, xbox one
Gamecube, wiiu, ds, 3ds, switch, possibly the gba in with the cube
Game gear

Think my snes and 64 are still at my parents house.

5 minutes ago, Empty It said:

PS1, several PS2s, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Sega Megadrive, N64 and probably more in storage really can't remember them all.

Always wanted something coin ops for the house, time crisis or something.

N64. I forgot the N64.

I'd love a Beast Busters cab for the house. Think it would probably cost thousands, and that's without the extension I'd need to house it in.

Sorry for turning this into the Antiques Roadshow, but I remember Argos trying to flog off a load of old Atari 2600 stock sometime around 1990. For £20 or £30, you got the console and 80 games, or something similarly ridiculous. I don't think anyone bought them, as it would have been the equivalent of signing up to a Ceefax service these days. If anyone did buy one, however, and stuck it in their loft before forgetting about it...well, the highest value bundle on eBay just now sold for £350, doesn't have as many games, and it's all used.

There must be warehouse owners that see this shit, buy it up for buttons, then squirrel it away for a few decades and make a mint.

7 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Being an idiot, I sold all my old Atari STs years ago, and this retro talk has given me a passing fancy to own one again. Not really to use, as ST emulation is pretty solid, but it would be nice to have. A needful thing, I suppose.

Looks like it would now cost me about as much to buy a knackered old second-hand ST as it did to buy one brand-new back in the early Nineties (hundreds of pounds). By way of comparison, in 1996 I picked up a brand-new, still in box ST from a charity shop in Perth for £30, which was a fair price. I cannot for the life of me explain why I gave that away. Now I'm sad.

I also see that the notorious Atari Jaguar will get you about £500 if you've got one to sell. Back in 1996, Hamleys were selling their inventory off for £20, with a few games thrown in to sweeten the deal. OMFG.

I'm also going down he emulation route, after working out how much it would cost to repurchase all the consoles and games I want.

Pre-lockdown, I picked up a USB convertor for Gamecube controllers. You can also get them for N64 and dreamcast, or at least you could!

In no particular order

Amstrad CPC 6128 ( With colour screen and disk drive!)

Game Gear

Amiga A1200 ( with 120mb hard drive!)

Snes

Game Boy Advance SP

Original DS

DS lite

3DS

Wii

N64

Gamecube

PS2

PS3

PSP

PS4

SNES Classic

Switch

The only console that i've every sold on was a Dreamcast that I bought 2nd hand from a friend then resold a few months later for the same price on Ebay.

Edited by mrpaddyx

On 22/07/2020 at 01:11, mrpaddyx said:

Amstrad CPC 6128 ( With colour screen and disk drive!)

I chucked one of those in the bucket about 25 years ago, as I couldn't find anybody who wanted to take it off my hands. Even put an advert in the free paper. Absolute mint condition too.

I don't even care how much it would be worth now, it just sickens me to think about how callous I must have been back then. I probably suffocated kittens in carrier bags too and I've just blocked it out.

22 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I chucked one of those in the bucket about 25 years ago, as I couldn't find anybody who wanted to take it off my hands. Even put an advert in the free paper. Absolute mint condition too.

I don't even care how much it would be worth now, it just sickens me to think about how callous I must have been back then. I probably suffocated kittens in carrier bags too and I've just blocked it out.

I highly doubt mine still works, its been in my garage for at least 4 years. I just don't want to get rid of my first computer!