BBC top 50 Scotland players list.

Shannon

2 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

My main memory of the Liechtenstein game is that I was down the front of the South Stand. This agitated guy in front of me absolutely slaughtered Miller for a slack pass, top of his voice, puce in face, veins in neck bulging etc.

With literally his next touch, Miller absolutely leathered a goal in off the underside of the bar, and then proceeded to run over and stare directly at the angry shouting man.

I enjoyed that.

The angry shouting man was wearing full kit and the reason for this became apparent at half time, when he was wheeled onto the pitch to do one of those countdown type things they do to keep us oiks entertained whilst Jim Farry* wolfs down his canapés.

*whomever

it crowd countdown GIF

My main memory of the Liechtenstein game is that I was down the front of the South Stand. This agitated guy in front of me absolutely slaughtered Miller for a slack pass, top of his voice, puce in face, veins in neck bulging etc.

With literally his next touch, Miller absolutely leathered a goal in off the underside of the bar, and then proceeded to run over and stare directly at the angry shouting man.

I enjoyed that.

The angry shouting man was wearing full kit and the reason for this became apparent at half time, when he was wheeled onto the pitch to do one of those countdown type things they do to keep us oiks entertained whilst Jim Farry* wolfs down his canapés.

*whomever
IIRC Miller said after the game he just got his laces into it and hoped for the best. That was kind of his thing - explosive instinct over composure and placed, thought-out finishes.
My fave goal of his was the bullet header vs Italy in 2005.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

IIRC Miller said after the game he just got his laces into it and hoped for the best. That was kind of his thing - explosive instinct over composure and placed, thought-out finishes.
My fave goal of his was the bullet header vs Italy in 2005.

I remember being at the home game vs wales in 2013. One of Strachans first games.

Steven fletcher goes down injured and the whole crowd expects Jordan Rhodes to come on. He was bang in form at the time.

Instead Strachan brings on an old kenny miller. Theres a not massive but certinally audible boo comes from the home fans. Miller would certinally have heard it. 

I remember at the time being as disappointed and confused as anyone. Firstly disappointed at him coming on, and then more so for our fans booing him.

Miller was done, we all knew it. He came on and played shite.

Did he deserve to get booed, absolutely not.

Miller gave everything for his country.

I lost a bit of love for Scotland that day. 

6 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

In terms of scoring goals he wasn't, mcfaddens goals to games ratio is higher.

Theres no stats I can find for assists, but mcfaddens would be better.

As you say there's no stats but I would guess McFadden's assist count would be pretty low, it seemed like almost every possession he had would end with a shot at goal.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I remember being at the home game vs wales in 2013. One of Strachans first games.

Steven fletcher goes down injured and the whole crowd expects Jordan Rhodes to come on. He was bang in form at the time.

Instead Strachan brings on an old kenny miller. Theres a not massive but certinally audible boo comes from the home fans. Miller would certinally have heard it. 

I remember at the time being as disappointed and confused as anyone. Firstly disappointed at him coming on, and then more so for our fans booing him.

Strachans use , or lack , of substitutes had not improved by the end of his time in charge

13 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

The whole team was shite that night to be fair.

Miller was an underrated player for Scotland. I'd take a prime Kenny Miller over most of our striking options now.

3 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

McFadden was horrendous in that game and thoroughly deserved getting subbed early. Whether it was that game or the injury which ended his Scotland career he was clearly on his way out by that point.

To be fair he was playing on the left hand side of a 4-4-2, which is a position he would have barely have played before in his life. I don't understand why managers think that just because you're playing a shite team you should crowbar as many attacking players into the team as possible rather than just playing folk in their actual positions.

15 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

That sums up my memories of that game almost perfectly. I was desperate for Rhodes to get his chance and instead on comes Miller, wtf?

I guess it just highlights the contrast between the 'in media res' reactions we have during actual games versus the reflective and more balanced assessments we can make about the likes of Miller and Rhodes now that both are (just about) finished.

5 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

McFadden was horrendous in that game and thoroughly deserved getting subbed early. Whether it was that game or the injury which ended his Scotland career he was clearly on his way out by that point.

Nah, he had not long turned 27 and was playing regularly for Birmingham in the EPL, and was top scorer in our squad (Miller was only on 11 goals, McFadden on 15). He had a good 5 years left in him at least. I do think the rise of the 'quick, strong forward' would probably have marginalised him but I don't think he would have dropped out completely.

On 29/07/2020 at 11:31, Richey Edwards said:

I'd take a prime Kenny Miller over most of our striking options now.

I'd take him over all of our striking options now!

Ok we never made to a finals while Kenny played but at least we competed in the qualifying groups for the whole campaign each time.

Just now, Lurkst said:

I'd take him over all of our striking options now!

Ok we never made to a finals while Kenny played but at least we competed in the qualifying groups for the whole campaign each time.

I'd take him AND a fully fit Griffiths over all of our other striking options.

• 4 weeks later...

It's 1961 o.k. Talking of strikers I have been watching the clip of the " Lawman " scoring our winning goal against Czechoslovakia. He starts off on the right wing and moves , to score , in the inside left position

What a player , has to be Scotland s best ever

Alex Scott and John White assist