BBC top 50 Scotland players list.

Shannon

10 hours ago, Gaz said:

I think there will be an element of that, but as I said on another thread it was an online poll and therefore the majority of people voting won't have been standing watching Hughie Gallacher with Yer Granda 90 years ago. I reckon that's why there are so many 'modern' players of the last 20 years.

Miller, McLeish, Dalglish were all still Scotland caps in my lifetime but I couldn't honestly have voted for them as I have no memory of them playing.

Dalglish pre 1986 , definite vote

Miller and McLeish possible

10 hours ago, Gaz said:

I mean, you've got Darren Fletcher, Joe Jordan and Archie Gemmill in there at #11, #10 and #9. I doubt there are too many fans of the clubs they played for voting in this.

The BBC has to give a time limit , if any

7 hours ago, Gaz said:

Top 10 so far:

10. Joe Jordan
9. Archie Gemmill
8. Graeme Souness
7. Billy Bremner
6. Davie Cooper

One of these is garbage , two debatable

9 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Dalglish pre 1986 , definite vote

Miller and McLeish possible

I was just using them as an example. I was born in '83 so all my vivid memories of watching Scotland are from the mid-90s onwards. There will be a lot of folk voting even younger than me who didn't start watching Scotland until the 2000s or even later. That's why McFadden got third, because for the whole of the 2000s he was probably the only player we had that gave any kind of excitement whatsoever.

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

That's why McFadden got third, because for the whole of the 2000s he was probably the only player we had that gave any kind of excitement whatsoever.

Understandable , but the SFA , BBC or whatever could have provided film clips of some of his predecessors

There are some on the internet

8 hours ago, Monday 13th July said:

Barry Ferguson is clearly the best player we've produced for 30 years.   But you can guarentee there will be someone talking about "But Darren Fletcher played for Man Utd".  

This forum hasn't learned, the same people are getting round to the fact KT is at the same level as Andy Robertson, despite having dropped his level slightly since his Arsenal transfer.   

When you have an internet page, sadly 90% of the posts are idiotic.     It's real hard for the others to combat the levels of stupidity.  

Fletcher didn't just play for man u. He was a vital part of their team and one of the first names on their team sheet for years.

This was at a time when Utd where clearly one of the best teams in the world.

Barry Ferguson was indeed a very good player, who never got close to playing at that level. 

If your opinion is Barry Ferguson was a better player thats fine.

But to call people who claim that fletcher, the vastly more successful player was better as idiots?

11 hours ago, Gaz said:

I was just using them as an example. I was born in '83 so all my vivid memories of watching Scotland are from the mid-90s onwards. There will be a lot of folk voting even younger than me who didn't start watching Scotland until the 2000s or even later. That's why McFadden got third, because for the whole of the 2000s he was probably the only player we had that gave any kind of excitement whatsoever.

Agree with this but it makes the list a shambles.

Mcfadden was brilliant for Scotland and one of the best players in recent times. But let's be honest hes not in the top 30 never mind top 3 of best ever Scotland players.

Never mind kenny "headless scuffer" miller.

4 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Agree with this but it makes the list a shambles.

Mcfadden was brilliant for Scotland and one of the best players in recent times. But let's be honest hes not in the top 30 never mind top 3 of best ever Scotland players.

Never mind kenny "headless scuffer" miller.

True

Could McFadden make the top 30 forwards from say 1960 to present ?

Kenny Miller did pretty well for Scotland

Edited by ewan14

3 hours ago, ewan14 said:

True

Could McFadden make the top 30 forwards from say 1960 to present ?

Kenny Miller did pretty well for Scotland

Im not old enough to really answer that question tbh. At a guess id say Yes just about.

I thought kenny Miller was awful for Scotland. Nothing against the guy, turned up to every squad. And gave 100% effort every time. Just a poor footballer with poor technique.

6 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Im not old enough to really answer that question tbh. At a guess id say Yes just about.

I thought kenny Miller was awful for Scotland. Nothing against the guy, turned up to every squad. And gave 100% effort every time. Just a poor footballer with poor technique.

I did not think Kenny Miller was that bad. 

I think he was more suited to the 4 - 5 -1 formation when we were ''away "" from home ( unless you were Levein )

12 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

I think he was more suited to the 4 - 5 -1 formation when we were ''away "" from home ( unless you were Levein )

Yeah he definitely had his qualities, his work rate was outstanding. He was a general pest who ruffled up back 4s with his constant running, pace and strength.

Which would usually eventually conclude with miller working himself into a great position to score. Or easy layoff for a teammate. Which he would bottle/make an arse of.

17 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Yeah he definitely had his qualities, his work rate was outstanding. He was a general pest who ruffled up back 4s with his constant running, pace and strength.

Which would usually eventually conclude with miller working himself into a great position to score. Or easy layoff for a teammate. Which he would bottle/make an arse of.

I do not know whether it was his last goal for Scotland but the one against England was rather impressive. He was still improving !!

2 hours ago, ewan14 said:

I do not know whether it was his last goal for Scotland but the one against England was rather impressive. He was still improving !!

He retired immediately after that England game. A very underrated player for Scotland in general.

20 hours ago, ewan14 said:

I think Kenny Miller was a much more effective player for Scotland than James McFadden was.

Was McFadden’s final game for Scotland the game that they scored in the final minute of injury time, and he got hooked at half time and spent the second half of the game on his iPhone?

I’ll mostly remember him for getting so wasted that he ended up in a Roppongi brothel and missed the flight home from the Kirin Cup.

23 hours ago, Savage Henry said:
I think Kenny Miller was a much more effective player for Scotland than James McFadden was.
Was McFadden’s final game for Scotland the game that they scored in the final minute of injury time, and he got hooked at half time and spent the second half of the game on his iPhone?
I’ll mostly remember him for getting so wasted that he ended up in a Roppongi brothel and missed the flight home from the Kirin Cup.

I think that's a wee bit overly focused on the negatives of McFadden there.
Yeah the Liechtenstein game was his final cap, but it was a horrible injury shortly after for Birmingham - as opposed to that clusterfeck of a game - that ended his international career.
And I don't think that's quite right about the Kirin Cup. He made it into the bus, albeit hungover like most of the squad. It was in Vogts reign that he missed his flight home from Hong Kong, I believe.
Anyway, negatives aside, McFadden was great for us (relative to his era). A matchwinner on his day, capable of things nobody else in the squad could do. I hold him and Miller in equal esteem.
What we wouldn't give for two attackers like that now, both with goal tallies in the high teens.

Then again, didn't the pair both start up front in that loss to Georgia? 😔

Edited by Gordopolis

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

In terms of scoring goals he wasn't, mcfaddens goals to games ratio is higher.

Theres no stats I can find for assists, but mcfaddens would be better.

It's not really fair just to compare the 2 just by stats tho. Im judging them over what ive seen through their careers. Rather than judging over 1 game like you.

My main memory of the Liechtenstein game is that I was down the front of the South Stand. This agitated guy in front of me absolutely slaughtered Miller for a slack pass, top of his voice, puce in face, veins in neck bulging etc.

With literally his next touch, Miller absolutely leathered a goal in off the underside of the bar, and then proceeded to run over and stare directly at the angry shouting man.

I enjoyed that.

The angry shouting man was wearing full kit and the reason for this became apparent at half time, when he was wheeled onto the pitch to do one of those countdown type things they do to keep us oiks entertained whilst Jim Farry* wolfs down his canapés.

*whomever