Jump to content
Gaz

What Is Your Favourite Ever Film?

Recommended Posts

I can never separate The Godfather and The Godfather part2 as my favourite films.

If I was selecting purely the film I can sit and watch most often, it's a choice between Beverly Hills Cop and Under Seige.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Star Wars 

Saw it as an excited 7 year old in the old Kelburne cinema in Paisley late 1977 or possibly early 1979 , loved it ever since. 

Edited by saint dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drama mood: Godfather/Godfather II/Goodfellas

Comedy mood: Holy Grail/Life of Brian

Yes, I know picking more than one makes me a shitebag and apologies, but just can't separate them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/07/2020 at 19:20, Mark Connolly said:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Han Solo and James Bond fight Nazis. How can anything be better than that?

An absolutely brilliant film and the best Indiana Jones ones.

On 16/07/2020 at 19:21, D.A.F.C said:

Predator

Fantastic film. STICK AROUND!

8 hours ago, supermik said:

Commando.

Big Arnie flexing his muscles and full of absolutely stupid one liners. What’s not to like.

 

Honourable mentions also go to any of the old Hammer house of Horror films and the Ealing comedies of the past.

Just exceptionally ludicrous. So, so good. LET OFF SOME STEAM!!!

5 hours ago, microdave said:

Back to the future.

Top shout! Don't take money...

4 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Trainspotting, but of a cliché but it just summed up that whole time for me and still love it to this day.

Seminal film. Summed up a time, a culture, a subculture, a generation, an area and a lifetime ago.

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I have 3 that are interchangeable depending on my mood.

The Godfather - Best film ever made IMO and I know that's a cliche and open for ridicule on here.

Casino & Goodfellas are the other two.

Today it's Casino.

I used to have Casino and Goodfellas on VHS and would watch one at least once a month. Vasillated between the two like you, as they're both so incredibly good.

2 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

The Empire Strikes Back.

Is the correct answer.

51 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The Wicker Man (not the Nic Cage remake).

Love that film. The polisman was such a bigoted, patronising and insulting twat that I was almost begging form Lord Summerisle (the late, great Christopher Lee*) to order his knees broken and be chucked inside the eponymous structure.

 

*My older brother got me Christopher Lee's autobiography for Christmas in 2002 as he (Lee) had just had a bit of a renaissance after being in Lord of The Rings and Star Wars. It was a very good read. 

32 minutes ago, printer said:

I can never separate The Godfather and The Godfather part2 as my favourite films.

If I was selecting purely the film I can sit and watch most often, it's a choice between Beverly Hills Cop and Under Seige.

BHC is good but Under Seige is fucking ace. My old man once said it was his favourite film. Steven Segal was (and still is) a shit actor but he just smashed f**k out of the bad guys in this, and it was when he was still in shape.

22 minutes ago, saint dave said:

Star Wars 

Saw it as an excited 7 year old in the old Kelburne cinema in Paisley late 1977 or possibly early 1979 , loved it ever since. 

Still great. Avoid the 'Special' editions.

18 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Drama mood: Godfather/Godfather II/Goodfellas

Comedy mood: Holy Grail/Life of Brian

Yes, I know picking more than one makes me a shitebag and apologies, but just can't separate them.

Holy Grail and Life of Brian are immense. I do get a bit irked when folk quote the "Naughty boy" line from LOB. It's not even in the top 20 funniest moments of that film.

I'm due a rewatch of both as haven't seen either in years.

THERE ARE SOME WHO CALL ME...TIM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

 

Love that film. The polisman was such a bigoted, patronising and insulting twat that I was almost begging form Lord Summerisle (the late, great Christopher Lee*) to order his knees broken and be chucked inside the eponymous structure.

 

*My older brother got me Christopher Lee's autobiography for Christmas in 2002 as he (Lee) had just had a bit of a renaissance after being in Lord of The Rings and Star Wars. It was a very good read. 

 

It was filmed in October or November but they were trying to pass it off as Summer. My gran was confused one day walking through the grounds of Culzean Castle (Lord Summerisle’s house) as there were all these blossom trees dotted about. Even more confused when the trees were chucked on the back of a truck and driven off to another part of the grounds. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It was filmed in October or November but they were trying to pass it off as Summer. My gran was confused one day walking through the grounds of Culzean Castle (Lord Summerisle’s house) as there were all these blossom trees dotted about. Even more confused when the trees were chucked on the back of a truck and driven off to another part of the grounds. 
 

Your gran absolutely thought it was a snuff film and was trying to force the actor in to the Wicker Man for real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schindlers List.

 

Neeson, Fiennes and Kingsley were all outstanding. Neeson losing out the Oscar to a superb Hanks in Philadelphia, with Daniel Day Lewis for In the Name of the Father in the running also. Fiennes should feel hard done by, after losing out to Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive. Although, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape and Di Caprio might have had a say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Elephant Man. :bairn

It's my favourite film because it's the most moving film I've seen - it's always dialogue and acting that does it for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

The Wicker Man (not the Nic Cage remake).

That’s me 2nd favourite film. Absolutely superb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nick_BCFC said:

I’m gonna go for Jaws.

Jaws for me as well, first thoughts were Jurassic Park and The Shawshank Redemption but gonna give Jaws the nod for being 45 years old! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

That’s me 2nd favourite film. Absolutely superb.

American Beauty one of my favourites too. Sam Mendes has gone very God Save The Queen these days and his stuff doesn’t grab me but that film still feels so modern in terms of the subject matter.

City of God would be near the top too and I’d have to give a nod to Snatch too. Brick Top and Mickey are my role models.

24 Hour Party People too. And The Shining. So hard to pick a favourite.

Edited by Shandon Par

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Apartment.

Billy Wilder and Jack Lemmon at their best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...