What Is Your Favourite Ever Film?

Gaz

Hard one to answer Watched "Chopper"on Saturday for the first time in years  it would be in my top 5 easy The performance of Eric Bana is superb  You would have thought that it was 2 different actors playing the part as he puts on a lot of weight from the time he was in prison at the start of the film to the time he is released Russel Crowe was meant to get the part  but "Chopper "Reid whose life story this is about insisted they get Bana to play him even though he had never acted before  

On 19/07/2020 at 12:49, Flybhoy said:

The Departed 

Very seldom quoted as amongst Martin Scorsese's greatest films, that accolade is usually given to Goodfellas, Raging Bull or Taxi Driver but I think his pastiche of the Irish mafia in Boston is his finest work.

De Caprio and Matt Damon are quite magnificent in it, with fantastic supporting slots from Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin, I absolutely fucking love that film. 

It maybe gets a hard time as it's a remake and there was the thing about Scorcese being given the Oscar because he was overdue one. Totally agree about Matt Damon and Di Caprio. 

19 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

"Yoh noht a cohp!"

16 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jack Nicholson puts in a top notch performance in The Departed as well.

In case you missed it, the real person Nicholson's character was based on came to a messy end last year. Wheeled to a quiet corner or the jail in his wheelchair (he was 89) then beaten with a lock in a sock until his eyeballs popped out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/31/us/who-killed-whitey-bulger.html

On 19/07/2020 at 13:49, Flybhoy said:

The Departed 

Very seldom quoted as amongst Martin Scorsese's greatest films, that accolade is usually given to Goodfellas, Raging Bull or Taxi Driver but I think his pastiche of the Irish mafia in Boston is his finest work.

De Caprio and Matt Damon are quite magnificent in it, with fantastic supporting slots from Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin, I absolutely fucking love that film. 

all undone by a rat running across the balcony railing. Why, Martin, why??

On 24/07/2020 at 14:40, Shandon Par said:

In case you missed it, the real person Nicholson's character was based on came to a messy end last year. Wheeled to a quiet corner or the jail in his wheelchair (he was 89) then beaten with a lock in a sock until his eyeballs popped out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/31/us/who-killed-whitey-bulger.html

Johnny Depp played him in Black Mass about five years ago, he's absolutely superb in it, Joel Edgerton is magnificent as well playing crooked FBI agent John Connolly.

• 2 weeks later...

John Carpenter's The Thing. Second place would be The Shawshank Redemption.

I've seen the above many times, and indeed own three different copies of The Thing on Blu-Ray, but there's a whole host of other films I only watched once, as they were stellar and for some reason I never needed to see them again. City of God is the first that springs to mind.

The OP really needs to make a P&B Top Ten as we go along. I'll be disgusted if American Psycho doesn't come out on top.

John Carpenter's The Thing. Second place would be The Shawshank Redemption.
I've seen the above many times, and indeed own three different copies of The Thing on Blu-Ray, but there's a whole host of other films I only watched once, as they were stellar and for some reason I never needed to see them again. City of God is the first that springs to mind.
The OP really needs to make a P&B Top Ten as we go along. I'll be disgusted if American Psycho doesn't come out on top.
I re-watched American Psycho the other night and continued to really, really like it but it does fall into the Fight Club trap of the wrong people liking it for the wrong reasons.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I re-watched American Psycho the other night and continued to really, really like it but it does fall into the Fight Club trap of the wrong people liking it for the wrong reasons.

Oh God, don't tell me it's become a favourite with the toxic masculinity crowd too.

You wonder what's going on in the minds of these folk. Like Scarface becoming a fairytale rags-to-riches story about a pretty cool guy, yo.