Aberdeen vs Rangers - 1st of August

6 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

No, SevCo are getting advantages before the season kicks off.

Seems like there is an opportunity to bypass the system and not have players suspended if an agreement can be made for the relevant authority not to report it officially.

You do know the only way for Kent to be suspended was if the French FA reported it to the Scottish FA?

The French FA have since come out and said the friendly was not played under their jurisdiction (or something to that effect) so they couldn’t report it even if they wanted to.

Edited by AJF

1 minute ago, AJF said:

You do know the only way for Kent to be suspended was if the French FA reported it to the Scottish FA?

The French FA have since come out and said the game friendly was not played under their jurisdiction (or something to that effect) so they couldn’t report it even if they wanted to.

Yes, I do know. The Veolia Tournament, held in France against French teams with French association officials. 

Excellent example of demonstrating consistency and fairness across the board and impressing on youngsters of today watching the televised event that there is no consequence of actions in "some" friendlies

1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Yes, I do know. The Veolia Tournament, held in France against French teams with French association officials. 

Excellent example of demonstrating consistency and fairness across the board and impressing on youngsters of today watching the televised event that there is no consequence of actions in "some" friendlies

So, what exactly are you proposing should happen? They’ve already explained why they can’t report it to the Scottish FA.

And don’t make it out as if you care about how youngsters perceive a red card in a friendly match 😂

Objectively, players shouldnt be suspended in  the league for red cards in friendlies. Just like how their goals in friendlies dont count either (looking at you Romario!!)

however on this occasion I am willing to change my standpoint and state that IT IS A FUCKIN DISgRACE ThAT RANgERS*** ARE gETTINg PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT ONCE AgAIN BY OUR CORRUPT OFFICIALS

Kent is overrated as f**k anyway, play him if you like. (Kent hattrick incoming)

Nae clue how the game will go, just delighted to have the Dons back. Pretty pissed off that its so early though, would have rather been able to watch with a few cans in me

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

So, what exactly are you proposing should happen? They’ve already explained why they can’t report it to the Scottish FA.

And don’t make it out as if you care about how youngsters perceive a red card in a friendly match 😂

My proposal would be that there should be consistency and that this should be applied across the board.

There are plenty of instances where players sent off in friendlies have missed the following domestic games. The alternative is that there is an across the board agreement that incidents in friendlies only pertain to the game itself and doesn't inflict consequences in following games.

What doesn't sit well that it is determined by the individual FA's as that leads to inconsistency and potential corroboration / corruption.

As RussellAnderson says above, he's made very little impact on games against Aberdeen (indeed his stats are not impressive overall) and long may that continue ;)

5 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Objectively, players shouldnt be suspended in  the league for red cards in friendlies. Just like how their goals in friendlies dont count either (looking at you Romario!!)

however on this occasion I am willing to change my standpoint and state that IT IS A FUCKIN DISgRACE ThAT RANgERS*** ARE gETTINg PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT ONCE AgAIN BY OUR CORRUPT OFFICIALS

Kent is overrated as f**k anyway, play him if you like. (Kent hattrick incoming)

Nae clue how the game will go, just delighted to have the Dons back. Pretty pissed off that its so early though, would have rather been able to watch with a few cans in me

Agreed, I feel it's a nonsense that a player should be suspended for league matches for their conduct during a friendly.  My concern, if I was a Rangers* fan, is that Kent seems to have an issue with raising his hands to other players, as also seen against Celtic.  I mean, if he's going to have his hair cut like that, then surely he should expect some digs for it.  I suppose there is the argument that Simunovic was was suspended after the Swiss FA reported his red card to the SFA, in consistency terms, but we all know that the Swiss are more efficient than the French, who may take a more laissez faire attitude to such things (stop that, ed.).   

20 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Agreed, I feel it's a nonsense that a player should be suspended for league matches for their conduct during a friendly.  My concern, if I was a Rangers* fan, is that Kent seems to have an issue with raising his hands to other players, as also seen against Celtic.  I mean, if he's going to have his hair cut like that, then surely he should expect some digs for it.  I suppose there is the argument that Simunovic was was suspended after the Swiss FA reported his red card to the SFA, in consistency terms, but we all know that the Swiss are more efficient than the French, who may take a more laissez faire attitude to such things (stop that, ed.).   

we have seen in the past that he is easily wound up (much like Morelos, Jack, Mcgregor, gerrard, the majority of their support, etc, etc) - you can see there is talent there but he needs to harness that aggression better.  

he also needs to improve his passing and crossing. hes very direct and is a goal threat, which is a very good thing and nice to have for a winger/attacking midfielder, but the bread and butter should be facilitating others and to have 0 assists in the league for last season is very poor. I think his decisionmaking is  also suspect, he often takes the selfish option. 

18 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

we have seen in the past that he is easily wound up (much like Morelos, Jack, Mcgregor, gerrard, the majority of their support, etc, etc) - you can see there is talent there but he needs to harness that aggression better.  

he also needs to improve his passing and crossing. hes very direct and is a goal threat, which is a very good thing and nice to have for a winger/attacking midfielder, but the bread and butter should be facilitating others and to have 0 assists in the league for last season is very poor. I think his decisionmaking is  also suspect, he often takes the selfish option. 

Don’t think I can disagree with any of that. I’m hopeful as he matures as a player, his decision making will improve. He is still (relatively) young at 23.

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

Don’t think I can disagree with any of that. I’m hopeful as he matures as a player, his decision making will improve. He is still (relatively) young at 23.

theres still time for him to become the player he could be, however with his temper, the atmosphere of Ibrox, and the burden of that price tag, I would be surprised if it were at Rangers. 

1 hour ago, RussellAnderson said:

I would say that it's down to management/sports psychologists to assist Kent with channeling that aggression into his game & not off-the-ball incidents.  His stats were slightly better in his first on loan at Rangers*, but that was still six goals & six assists in 23 league games.  Admittedly, it will be his directness & goal threat that might be an issue for us on 1st August.  I know there's a balance to be struck between a defender backing off a player & diving into a challenge, but I always feel that our defenders back off & back off a man running at them until it's too late.  

5 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

I would say that it's down to management/sports psychologists to assist Kent with channeling that aggression into his game & not off-the-ball incidents.  His stats were slightly better in his first on loan at Rangers*, but that was still six goals & six assists in 23 league games.  Admittedly, it will be his directness & goal threat that might be an issue for us on 1st August.  I know there's a balance to be struck between a defender backing off a player & diving into a challenge, but I always feel that our defenders back off & back off a man running at them until it's too late.  

Logan especially.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Logan especially.

Wasn't such a problem when he was dependable though, as he could quite often be counted on to make the last ditch challenge, if one on one.  Now I'm not so sure.  More acquainted now with sumps rather than ditches I believe.

23 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Wasn't such a problem when he was dependable though, as he could quite often be counted on to make the last ditch challenge, if one on one.  Now I'm not so sure.  More acquainted now with sumps rather than ditches I believe.

The Scottish Cup final equaliser still haunts me :(

Pretty sure the team we started with against Coventry today will be the one we field on Saturday:

McGregor
Tavernier
Edmundson
Goldson
Barisic
Jack
Kamara
Aribo
Kent
Hagi
Morelos

Having humbled the cream of France and Lanarkshire, today was tougher vs Coventry of Birmingham who seemed to have taken taken a collective PSV course as their bus parking in the first half was exemplary.  Still, 2-0 was deserved.

26 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Pretty sure the team we started with against Coventry today will be the one we field on Saturday:

McGregor
Tavernier
Edmundson
Goldson
Barisic
Jack
Kamara
Aribo
Kent
Hagi
Morelos

Having humbled the cream of France and Lanarkshire, today was tougher vs Coventry of Birmingham who seemed to have taken taken a collective PSV course as their bus parking in the first half was exemplary.  Still, 2-0 was deserved.

Edmundson? I sure hope so.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Edmundson? I sure hope so.

He had a good game today and a good pre season.  I had a keek on a Coventry message board after the match and a couple of posters highlighted him.

The pick of today's defenders, though, was Declan the boy Drysdale who'd be a stand-out CH up here if today was anything to go by.