Aberdeen vs Rangers - 1st of August

4 hours ago, Jute said:

McCoist said in post game stuff on Sky that Arfield was lucky as if he had arrived at the ball first it would have been him that was red carded. Boyd then agreed with him. 

Arfield wouldn't have went in like that if Considine didn't lunge. 

It was all down to Considine flying off his feet into the challenge.

I actually thought the ref was racing over to send Arfield off when I was watching the game - I thought it was a poor tackle from him.

Considine can’t have any complaints for his red but I think Arfield was fortunate.

On the game itself, I thought it was a drab affair but we (Rangers) seemed comfortable and I think we controlled the game well. Performance dropped in the second half but we never seemed to be in any real danger.

Positive start to our season where we stop the 10 (9.75). Now, on to European business and we have some Germans to skelp.

As Dons fans we can see the team wasn’t set up to do anything to help Anderson as a loan striker. My though then would have been that, instead of replacing him with Edmondson Derek should have tried the 2 of them together ESPECIALLY because we were a goal behind!
Give the loon a chance to play his game or, as I’m loath to consider, is Derek past his sell-by and too inflexible or intransigent to try a different tactic?

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

As Dons fans we can see the team wasn’t set up to do anything to help Anderson as a loan striker. My though then would have been that, instead of replacing him with Edmondson Derek should have tried the 2 of them together ESPECIALLY because we were a goal behind!
Give the loon a chance to play his game or, as I’m loath to consider, is Derek past his sell-by and too inflexible or intransigent to try a different tactic?

In the last 7 years or so I think we've played with 2 strikers no more than a handful of times. And as someone earlier pointed out, it's usually as a reaction to something desperate like going behind at home to Hamilton etc. 

Anyone hoping that McInnes is going to have some kind of epiphany and suddenly change the habits of a lifetime is going to have a long wait. 

It's not automatically the case that having two strikers makes a team more attacking or threatening - we would likely have had to sacrifice a body in midfield if he had gone with two up front, and it's dubious whether we have enough quality in there, certainly on the evidence provided yesterday, to make that work against a team and set-up like Rangers. You then have to consider that Anderson and Edmondson are two young and inexperienced players who have never played together before and have had no time to strike up any sort of understanding. 

Looking at the way Hamilton have started against Celtic, it astounds me that we can't apply ourselves the same way against both Celtic and Rangers at home.

Of course Hamilton might end up getting a pumping but they've had more opportunities already than we had in the whole of the game yesterday. Playing some really nice stuff as well which is more than what can be said for what was served up to us. The fear factor we carry into these games sadly comes from the manager.

As I type this Celtic go 1-0 up but have at least had to work for it.

In other words Drew - the risk averse option.

My question is what risk is he trying to “avert”?
We still fucking list without even a whimper!

BTW I’m no a McInnes oot guy, just frustrated that if a tactic is clearly not working then why just go like-for-like with the subs?

Guest Bob Mahelp
16 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It's not automatically the case that having two strikers makes a team more attacking or threatening - we would likely have had to sacrifice a body in midfield if he had gone with two up front, and it's dubious whether we have enough quality in there, certainly on the evidence provided yesterday, to make that work against a team and set-up like Rangers. You then have to consider that Anderson and Edmondson are two young and inexperienced players who have never played together before and have had no time to strike up any sort of understanding. 

True dat. 

The problem...one of the problems....we had yesterday, was that once again we had 3 central midfielders, all with no real clue about what they're meant to be doing. 

Lewis Ferguson is a tremendous player, but he's wasted in this incredibly negative role that McInnes seems to want him to play. His best games for the club have come when he pushes forward, but yesterday he never set foot over the half way line. It's a waste.

f**k knows what Bryson is meant to be doing, and Ojo spent almost the whole game setting up Rangers' attacks. 

Sort it out Derek.

9 hours ago, Green Day said:

Might be a stereotype of Rangers/Celtic fans outside of Glasgow but I would have a bit more respect for DF if he didnt take the same lazy option growing up.

Supporting a team that plays 50 miles from your home simply because he/you went to an RC school would be a headscratcher anywhere but Scotland..............................

Call it what you like,he had a chance to go to a lot of teams growing up as a boy,Fergie got him in and he never looked back,his mum comes from a big Celtic supporting family and his dad is a Rangers fan,think the medals he collected as a player says it all,he’s a really nice guy as well with no airs or graces,good luck to him in whatever he does.

16 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I see that Balogun is greetin’ that Scott McKenna is stronger than him.

Someone should tell McKenna you’re supposed to put the ball in the net no the player.