Aberdeen vs Rangers - 1st of August

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:
4 minutes ago, JTS98 said:
Aberdeen have been pish, no question.
But there's half the game to go and it's only 1-0. I think McInnes has decided they can't compete for 90 minutes so they won't try to. They certainly look slow as f**k.
Might work. Who knows.

A sort of Aberdonian Rope-A-Dope?

Something like that.

I remember quite often in Levein's (Version 1.0) at Hearts we'd routinely play too deep against the Old Firm only to have a right go in the last ten minutes having hung in the game.

This looks similar to what we used to see there. Isolated front man, non-committal pressing in midfield, no support in wide areas.

Then 'SEND MCKENNA (Kevin) UP THERE!'

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

Can't see much difference between what Ojo was booked for and what Hagi wasn't booked for there. 

I think my earlier praise of McCoist has been too hasty, it’s like watching Rangers TV here. Ojo’s tackle was ‘naughty’ and apparently he left a bit on him, but Ally had a nice wee chuckle after Hagi got away without a booking there. 

We've tried it against Rangers, been the better team and lost 4-2 because we've left so much space for them.

I agree that this can obviously happen against better players but despite having a horrific season - when Hearts adopted a different attacking approach against Rangers (and Celtic previously) they played them both off the park and won comfortably. It is just my opinion but in any sport if you want to be a winner you have to take risks and give yourselves a chance to perform. You might get the odd draw with this approach but certainly the piece it won’t cut it.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I agree that this can obviously happen against better players but despite having a horrific season - when Hearts adopted a different attacking approach against Rangers (and Celtic previously) they played them both off the park and won comfortably. It is just my opinion but in any sport if you want to be a winner you have to take risks and give yourselves a chance to perform. You might get the odd draw with this approach but certainly the piece it won’t cut it.

I see your point here, but I think the context is important. Aberdeen are short of options up front and I think in that situation it's more sensible to stay in the game as long as possible instead of leaving space when you know you're unlikely to hold the ball up front.

They just need to stay in the game for now. You can win a game in a very short time. But not if you're 3-0 down.

Word for word statement from McCoist there- ‘I don’t think it has, but I think that might have crossed the line’. 

Replays show the ball never even got within a foot of the line. 

Edited by IrishBhoy