Wages.....

17 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Players receiving their wages legitimately through the books, would have been eligible for the furlough scheme and I know a lot of clubs utilised this. Those that were paid under the table - as someone else mentioned, morality aside, the club would have probably not been able to furlough them anyway without a paper trail. At best, they would have got far less money than they would have been due.

Agree with you in what you are saying although from last year juniors and the teams moving to senior status, most players will or would have been on an amateur's registration.
This is where the lads receive a payment to cover their travelling expenses and training gear, washing it and so on, as players on amateur's forms are not allowed to receive payments from clubs other than what's stated and more.  Its up to clubs and players to honor this but many times there has been problems in the past.  Players taking money and then leaving and not bothering to return.  The downside for those players is that the club let every other club know what they did and then usually blackballed or sometimes the clubs fall on hardship times and don't have the money to pay the players.

You would think clubs would honor the players and players stay but first comes first is the club and if players are leaving then they are the last to get paid if your team doesn't have a wealth of money.  That's if this is on an amateur's form. 

I would like to add, I find it sad and embarrassing of ANY player on an amateur's form who wants money from the club for the time during  the  COVID.
for one thing, all clubs are stretched and second as   theesel1994 says, they aint playing, they aint travelling and they aint training, so they should not be picking up a penny during this time                                           

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread
Last Paragraph

8 hours ago, Yogi said:

I would say it’s no one else’s business if teams are paying there players

I suggest HMRC would think otherwise. If teams are paying players through the nose and avoiding tax etc then its everyone's business. They are getting an illegal advantage over other teams

17 minutes ago, Yogi said:

Yes HMRC would be but it’s no one’s business on this thread 🤬

As I said ... if a team is cheating by being able to pay more by avoiding paying tax then its everyone's business. Hopefully the days of brown envelopes are behind us but I fear not. 

9 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Agree with you in what you are saying although from last year juniors and the teams moving to senior status, most players will or would have been on an amateur's registration.
This is where the lads receive a payment to cover their travelling expenses and training gear, washing it and so on, as player son amateur's forms are not allowed to receive payments from clubs other than what's stated and more.  Its up to clubs and players to honor this but many times there has bene problems in the past.  Players taking money and then leaving and not bothering to return.  The downside for those players is that the club let every other club know what they did and then usually blackballed or sometimes the clubs fall on hardship times and don't have the money to pay the club.

You would think clubs would honor the players and players stay but first comes first is the club and if players are leaving then they are the last to get paid if your team doesn't have a wealth of money.  That's if this is on an amateur's form. 

If they are not going to games or training then they don't need the money then.

Lot of talk about moral obligations from clubs, what about morality from players?

I would assume most players get paid monthly....what exactly would they be getting paid for in April and May? They never trained, or played. Or even travelled!!

The clubs had zero income in those months so surely players would not expect paid??

Lot of talk about moral obligations from clubs, what about morality from players?

I would assume most players get paid monthly....what exactly would they be getting paid for in April and May? They never trained, or played. Or even travelled!!

The clubs had zero income in those months so surely players would not expect paid??

There is millions of people in that same situation due to covid,should they not be taking a wage from their employer either?

The furlough scheme covers 80% of the players wages, anyway, assuming the club is doing everything above board.

19 hours ago, BANKIEBILL said:

I suggest HMRC would think otherwise. If teams are paying players through the nose and avoiding tax etc then its everyone's business. They are getting an illegal advantage over other teams

But the old Rangers paid £millions in an illegal tax-evading scheme, and were found to have "gained no competeitive advantage".

15 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

But the old Rangers paid £millions in an illegal tax-evading scheme, and were found to have "gained no competeitive advantage".

Yeah ... that's a precedent to rely on for sure 😉

Umpteen Junior clubs had HMRC go through them like a dose of salts and forced to make back payments and fines. Perhaps everyone has learned from it and are now puting all payments through the books and paying tax and NI and issuing payslips etc incl for signing on pyts or other such "arrangements" that suit the player and the club. Orrrrrr... perhaps not. 

43 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

There is millions of people in that same situation due to covid,should they not be taking a wage from their employer either?

The furlough scheme covers 80% of the players wages, anyway, assuming the club is doing everything above board.

Excuse my ignorance but do you get furlough payments for a second job too? 

3 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

I think you'll find that statement is wrong, but that's for another thread in another forum

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I’ve been off the ‘junior’ forums for a while since the football stopped (gutted!). But this has got to be the most ridiculous thread I have seen in a “junior/WoS” forum (and trust me, there’s been plenty). How are clubs meant to pay players with no games and no income? 😂 behave yourself sir. 

The ‘WoS/Junior’ clubs are what they are. Full of honest committed men who have a passion for their local sides (committee, grounds men, tickets booths etc). Most players play for the enjoyment of the game (I’m not naive - I know some clubs wages/expenses make a difference to players incomes) and to kick a ball on a Saturday .. Because that’s their fix!

With the exception of Talbot and maybe Irvine Meadow, most WoS teams wouldn’t survive for 2 minutes in the 3rd division. But can’t blame them for trying to better their clubs! 

Hopefully it won’t be long until we’re seeing blood sweat and tears again for 3 points, petrol money, and some average players just wanting to win games for their team in the pi**ing rain. 

1 hour ago, FM7 said:

Sorry, I’ve been off the ‘junior’ forums for a while since the football stopped (gutted!). But this has got to be the most ridiculous thread I have seen in a “junior/WoS” forum (and trust me, there’s been plenty). How are clubs meant to pay players with no games and no income? 😂 behave yourself sir. 

The ‘WoS/Junior’ clubs are what they are. Full of honest committed men who have a passion for their local sides (committee, grounds men, tickets booths etc). Most players play for the enjoyment of the game (I’m not naive - I know some clubs wages/expenses make a difference to players incomes) and to kick a ball on a Saturday .. Because that’s their fix!

With the exception of Talbot and maybe Irvine Meadow, most WoS teams wouldn’t survive for 2 minutes in the 3rd division. But can’t blame them for trying to better their clubs! 

Hopefully it won’t be long until we’re seeing blood sweat and tears again for 3 points, petrol money, and some average players just wanting to win games for their team in the pi**ing rain. 

where is this mysterious league 3?

31 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

where is this mysterious league 3?

Sorry .. Scottish League 2 if you want to be like that. I’m going back too long to remember when we had a proper 3rd division. Showing my age 

Edited by FM7