Best Commentary Teams/Pundits

Ludo*1

When I worked for BT call centre there was a script you had to follow to deal with complaints specifically about Michael Owen which shows you how bad he was.

For me the commentator should be neutral and dispassionate and simply tell the viewers what is going on. This is something Tyldesley could never do when England were in any way connected to the match in question. The co-commentator should provide the personal opinion or insight.

you'd think it counter-intuitive to bring any US-based duo in to this equation, but I watch a lot of ESPN streams of the Italian matches, and Mark Donaldson and Matteo Bonetti are pretty much second to none; Donaldson's 'play by play' role is unobtrusive and spot on when required, Bonetti's knowledge of the game is excellent and - crucially - they have a real enthusiasm for the games and know when to introduce an element of humour; that's not the 'ladz ladz ladz' banter arseholery either, but just a couple of comments which are usually regarding players' past indiscretions or the like - again, exhibiting their appreciation of what's going on; I actively seek out the ESPN streams for games now, rather than the deadpan, going through the motions dirge on Premier Sports or the other regular Serie A coverage - highly recommended !

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming to the conclusion that my favourite pundit will automatically be the first one to call out running into the path of an opposition player rather than following the ball, and then hitting the deck, cheating, rather than "there's contact there, he's entitled to go down".

• 2 months later...

The Geordie guy who co-comms on La Liga for beIN sports used to get on my tits but he's now possibly my favourite. Just the most ridiculous, over the top metaphors. Which is some contrast from the mundane boy dishing out Americanisms beside him.