Best Commentary Teams/Pundits

Ludo*1

35 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

McCoist actually researches the teams he commentates on, unlike the Sportsound analysts who openly admit they don’t do any.

If we’re going down the routes of other sports, Michael Atherton and Jonathan Agnew are the best commentators going.

Don't watch much Cricket but I did listen to Agnew in the World Cup on 5 Live last year and he was excellent. A sport like Cricket lends itself to much greater analysis during the match because of the amount of time between the action, so I'd guess there is a greater expectation to provide quality analysis rather than talking in cliches and describing replays that everyone can see anyway - although I presume that still goes on.

I've always found it weird that commentators need to work their way up to the top level, as if it's a proper trade and skill (which it is), but co-commentators just seem to be randomly picked ex-players who get chucked in at the top level. I remember the Euros a few years ago where Phil Neville did his first ever co-commentary and they then realised he was hopeless. Michael Owen was the same at the start of his co-commentary career and there are many more. It's like even the TV companies don't value or think there is any skill in being a co-commentator and just go for the 'big name' rather than someone who has shown over many years they are good at that particular role. I can't really think of any co-commentators who have 'worked their way up' to the top games. It's rare in any walk of life for people to be instantly good at something, I think that partly explains why the standard of co-commentary is so poor.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

(For me) Clive's highlight was 'England have LIFTOFF' after they took an early lead against Iceland. That soundbite didn't make it into ITV's highlights for some reason. 

He was, and is, a patronising arsehole. But I don't mind Townsend as a co-commentator, probably because I used to hear him a lot on ITV growing up. "Not for me, Clive. In and around the penalty box etc". 

As mentioned earlier, Jonathan Pearce is insufferable. The goal line technology fiasco at the World Cup highlighted what a fat moron he truly is. "OH MY GOD IT'S CHANGED ITS MIND!. This is not the system we use in the PREMIER LEAGUE." 

Just a have your heart attack now and get it over with chubby.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon are the GOAT commentary pairing. Closely followed by Attitude era Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler.

Jim Ross would have a field day with the likes of Peter Pawlett.

Clive Tyldesley joining Ally McCoist for Amazon's coverage of the Sheffield United vs Everton game.

Interesting combo. Gutted that Champion has been replaced.

Some more points:
I had tears of joy seeing that Clive Tyldesley has been given the boot. 
Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher and Alex Scott might be the only good pundits in English football right now, and Neil McCann ( Mourinho, Liam Rosenior, Craig Bellamy and Frank Lampard were all good pundits before they got jobs elsewhere, or sacked in Bellamy's case. 
Most presenters are fine but I like Darrell Currie a lot. 
I've been waiting for a thread like for in a while. 
Careful what you wish for if he is being replaced by Sam Matterface who is an absolute cock. The way he says De Bruyne really gets on my tits.

Really enjoy McCoist as a co-comm. Agree him and Champion are a great pair.

Every former player on BT Sport is dreadful, as is Jake Humphrey. Much rather just have James Richardson and his podcast pals (except Julien Laurens) do the lot.