Dundee Utd v St Johnstone

Hadn't really thought of it until now but it's Saints first game with their manager as well, and without Drey Wright. Hopefully the DUTV stream doesn't break.

My prefered starting XI:

Benji 
Smith   Connolly   Reynolds  Robson
                         Butcher
Pawlett          Harkes         Apperé
          C Smith             Shankland

I'm going to say 2-1 United, in a utter shitfest of a game, with Pawlett and Shanks scoring. 

Just gone full geek for an hour.  According to the Utd arabarchive site, as far as I can tell, if you take league matches between the sides since both were playing in the old second division starting in 1911-12, the head to head for every league match between the teams is;

Dundee Utd 56 wins     St Johnstone 54 wins      Draws 39

So we need to be pumping them 3 times this season.

In terms of final league positions, Saints were superior to Utd up until the start of the Premier League in 1975-76, but from the early 1970's, Utd went on a phenomenal run by their own historical standards, and finished above Saints for 25 seasons in a row, while we spent a fair amount of that time wallowing about the lower leagues.

Up until then, the clubs seemed to be very evenly matched, mostly following each other between div 1 and 2 and often finishing around each other in the league.

Seasons finishing higher (includes being in the division above);

Dundee United 57  Saints 39

Saints are on a current run of finishing above Utd for 6 consecutive seasons, our best is either side of WWII, a total of 11 seasons.

1 hour ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Really ! 🤣 Getting your excuses in early lad ?I take it that United's players are still as saft as shite then..? 

Take your threatening posts elsewhere. It's not the 80s anymore. 

18 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Pretty sad to see shite bait like this being bitten by St Johnstone fans. They must be the ones who call themselves "saintees" and sing the Dundee haters song.

The Dundee Haters song still isn’t as embarrassing as that weird ‘f**k you dundee, f**k you, Oway’ song. Cringe every time it gets brought out. 

‘I went out for a pint’, on the other hand, is a great song.

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I respect St Johnstone. Like the overwhelming majority of people from Perthshire I couldn't bring myself to actually support them but fair play to those who do.

Anyway,  3-1 United

That’s OK, we don’t accept fans who wear Abandon Ship gear anyway. You’ll be more welcome at Tannadice bud. 

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade